What is the meaning of runneth?
i***@gmail.com
2020-07-18 09:00:15 UTC
Thanks
Kerr-Mudd,John
2020-07-18 09:30:40 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Peter T. Daniels
2020-07-18 13:28:18 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
If you can't see the beginning of the thread on 1 Jan 2000, get
a decent newsreader.
Snidely
2020-07-19 17:34:19 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
If you can't see the beginning of the thread on 1 Jan 2000, get
a decent newsreader.
All the world's a stage of trade-offs. We mortals are merely holding
the short straw.

/dps
Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?
Kerr-Mudd,John
2020-07-19 18:33:34 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
If you can't see the beginning of the thread on 1 Jan 2000, get
a decent newsreader.
In general, I'm unwilling to download the (tens of?) thousands of headers
that must have occurred in the past, what 35 years?

If only a user of a proper newsreader knew how to delete sigs.
Post by Snidely
All the world's a stage of trade-offs. We mortals are merely holding
the short straw.
I refuse to go quietly into that. Good Night.
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
Peter T. Daniels
2020-07-19 21:13:02 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by Snidely
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Snidely
All the world's a stage of trade-offs. We mortals are merely holding
the short straw.
I refuse to go quietly into that. Good Night.
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
There is no "downloading" (which I take to mean 'storing on one's hard
drive'). When you choose a newsgroup in GG, it shows you about 25 headers,
and the top so-many of them are bold, meaning they contain at least one
message you haven't read. If everything visible is bold, you can scroll
down to see the earliest-added-to thread that has something new. That
depends entirely on how active your groupmates have been, and how seldom
you visit.

When you click on that thread, it shows you the headers of up to the
last 25 messages in the thread. Typically, only one or a handful are
new since the last visit.

If you want to see the very first message in a thread, you go to the
button that accesses the 25-message "pages" and go to p.1. (There
are never more than 40 pages because after 1000 messages it starts
a new thread.

I do not delete Mudd's .sig (and only Mudd's .sig) because I want
to emphasize that everything he types is humbug. Bah.

(Actually. I have deleted it twice that I can recall, when he typed
something that was actually true rather than an ignorant insult.)
Peter Moylan
2020-07-20 04:31:10 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
If you can't see the beginning of the thread on 1 Jan 2000, get
a decent newsreader.
In general, I'm unwilling to download the (tens of?) thousands of
headers that must have occurred in the past, what 35 years?
It's not quite that bad. AUE is only 29 years old. (I know it seems longer.)
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
If only a user of a proper newsreader knew how to delete sigs.
Most users don't need to know that. A proper newsreader deletes them
automatically from replies.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Chrysi Cat
2020-07-31 03:58:16 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over
--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.
If you can't see the beginning of the thread on 1 Jan 2000, get
a decent newsreader.
I don't think it's all "newsreader" on that.

For one thing, I think that some providers may not allow you to fetch
bodies for a headline that far back, and even the ones that do, you'd
likely have to fetch _all_ the headlines to catch that one, and then you
have no idea which body you want to request to go with it.

Or that could be sarcasm over my head.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
Peter Moylan
2020-07-31 04:25:32 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
CONTEXT!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_cup_runneth_over -- Bah, and
indeed, Humbug.
If you can't see the beginning of the thread on 1 Jan 2000, get a
decent newsreader.
I don't think it's all "newsreader" on that.
For one thing, I think that some providers may not allow you to fetch
bodies for a headline that far back, and even the ones that do,
you'd likely have to fetch _all_ the headlines to catch that one, and
then you have no idea which body you want to request to go with it.
Or that could be sarcasm over my head.
I think he meant that you should point your newsreader to the Google
Groups news server rather than the one you are using.

As far as I know, though, Google has not told us how to access its news
server with a decent newsreader.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Peter Moylan
2020-07-18 10:46:34 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
You're welcome.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Steve Hayes
2020-07-22 09:41:13 UTC
Post by i***@gmail.com
Thanks
Don't mention it.
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com
occam
2020-07-22 09:48:32 UTC

Knoweth not.
occam
2020-07-22 09:50:24 UTC
Post by occam
Knoweth not.
Why doth thou not Googleth it?
Sam Plusnet
2020-07-22 19:43:21 UTC
Post by occam
Post by occam
Knoweth not.
Why doth thou not Googleth it?
Can you get Google to work if you're running LISP?
Sam Plusnet
occam
2020-07-22 22:57:42 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by occam
Post by occam
Knoweth not.
Why doth thou not Googleth it?
Can you get Google to work if you're running LISP?
Whether running, walking or crawling LISP - yes, Google works.

Aside: I've always thought that 'lisp' should be spelled "lithp". More
onomatopoeic.
Peter Moylan
2020-07-23 02:20:07 UTC
Post by occam
Aside: I've always thought that 'lisp' should be spelled "lithp".
More onomatopoeic.
I once heard a comedian who said that he was a lithper. He also said
that it was cruel to give this disability a name that the sufferers
couldn't pronounce.

On the other hand, he did appreciate the disability parking permit.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Mack A. Damia
2020-07-23 02:58:06 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 12:20:07 +1000, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by occam
Aside: I've always thought that 'lisp' should be spelled "lithp".
More onomatopoeic.
I once heard a comedian who said that he was a lithper. He also said
that it was cruel to give this disability a name that the sufferers
couldn't pronounce.
On the other hand, he did appreciate the disability parking permit.
When I was much younger, my auntie would laugh herself silly whenever
I told a variation of this joke:

There is an old, old story about a traveling evangelist who also
advertised himself as a faith healer. In one of his crusade services
he jumped on the platform and said, “I have faith that two people will
be healed tonight. Where are you?” he asked. “Who would like to be
healed?”

A man ran down the aisle, named Harry. Asked what his ailment was,
Harry said he had a lisp. He explained sadly, “I can’t talk wite.” He
was instructed to go behind a curtain.

Another man hobbled down on crutches. His name was Frank. He said, “I
haven’t walked in 20 years without crutches.”

He was told to go behind the curtain with Harry. Then the healer said
“Frank, you’ve been healed. Slide those crutches out under curtain one
at a time.” Slowly the crutches appeared under the curtain, and the
crowd went crazy. The healer held up the crutches and broke them over
his knee. Everyone cheered!

Then dramatically he declared that Harry was healed of his speech
impediment too. The evangelist said: “Harry, the next sentence you
speak will be the first you’ve ever said normally.” Then he said,
“Usher, take him a microphone.” After he was certain Harry had the
microphone the evangelist asked, “What would you like to say, Harry?”

There was a moment of silence. Then, from behind the curtain came
these words, “He fell on his ath.”
Peter Moylan
2020-07-23 03:15:28 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by occam
[...]
One of my favourite preacher stories was about a temperance preacher who
was addressing a crowd. At one point he dropped a worm into a glass of
whisky, and then held it up to show that the worm had shrivelled up and
died. Next, he dropped another worm into a glass of water, and showed
the crowd that the worm was still alive.

"Now, what do we learn from that?", he asked.

From the back, someone called out "If you drink whisky, you'll never
have worms".
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
RH Draney
2020-07-23 07:21:45 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by occam
[...]
The doctor was giving his nubile young patient a thorough examination,
and got to the part where he placed the stethoscope against her upper
torso to listen to her heartbeat and respiration....

"Big breaths", he instructed....

"Yeth, and I'm only thikthteen!", she proudly replied....r
HVanS
2020-07-23 10:07:47 UTC
Post by RH Draney
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by RH Draney
Post by RH Draney
and got to the part where he placed the stethoscope against her upper
torso to listen to her heartbeat and respiration....
"Big breaths", he instructed....
"Yeth, and I'm only thikthteen!", she proudly replied....r
I was given an Oral Roberts record, but every time I tried to put it
on the turntable, the hole healed itself....

Cheers, Harvey
Ken Blake
2020-07-23 14:56:03 UTC
Post by occam