Bayeux tapestry in translation
2018-07-06 17:26:15 UTC
There is a news article on the BBC web site about the Bayeux tapestry
being loaned to the UK by France.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44732897

The sentence that intrigued me:

"The two countries will also work together to produce a full English
translation of the tapestry."

How do you translate what is essentially a cartoon strip with no words?

"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."

Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-07-06 17:30:03 UTC
There is a news article on the BBC web site about the Bayeux tapestry
being loaned to the UK by France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44732897
"The two countries will also work together to produce a full English
translation of the tapestry."
How do you translate what is essentially a cartoon strip with no words?
"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."
Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
It's packed with words. Have you never actually seen it? They're
in Latin. They shall be translated.
Harrison Hill
Lanarcam
2018-07-06 17:53:26 UTC
There is a news article on the BBC web site about the Bayeux tapestry
being loaned to the UK by France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44732897
"The two countries will also work together to produce a full English
translation of the tapestry."
How do you translate what is essentially a cartoon strip with no words?
No words? Have you seen it?
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-07-06 18:40:32 UTC
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
There is a news article on the BBC web site about the Bayeux tapestry
being loaned to the UK by France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44732897
"The two countries will also work together to produce a full English
translation of the tapestry."
How do you translate what is essentially a cartoon strip with no words?
No words? Have you seen it?
It can be seen here "with Latin text and translation" and descriptive
and explanatory notes:
http://www.bayeux-tapestry.org.uk/
Lanarcam
2018-07-06 18:50:52 UTC
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
There is a news article on the BBC web site about the Bayeux tapestry
being loaned to the UK by France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44732897
"The two countries will also work together to produce a full English
translation of the tapestry."
How do you translate what is essentially a cartoon strip with no words?
No words? Have you seen it?
It can be seen here "with Latin text and translation" and descriptive
http://www.bayeux-tapestry.org.uk/
Nice Website. I saw the tapestry once in Bayeux but, at the time,
I could not read Latin.
Katy Jennison
2018-07-06 20:17:16 UTC
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."
Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
Never fear: if we miss the original there's always this quite
extraordinary recreation made of three million little bits of steel.

https://medievalmosaic.com/

I've seen it. Mind-boggling. My principal reaction was 'Why?'
2018-07-06 20:43:57 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."
Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
Never fear: if we miss the original there's always this quite
extraordinary recreation made of three million little bits of steel.
https://medievalmosaic.com/
"With extra scenes."

Is there much competition for the title "World's longest steel mosaic"?
I don't suppose St Alban's is anywhere near Oxford?
Tony Cooper
2018-07-06 22:09:47 UTC
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 13:43:57 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
I don't suppose St Alban's is anywhere near Oxford?
St Albans, if you Google. No apostrophe.
2018-07-06 22:12:24 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by Katy Jennison
I've seen it. Mind-boggling. My principal reaction was 'Why?'
I don't suppose St Alban's is anywhere near Oxford?
50-ish miles.

Google Maps gives three routes by car:
http://tinyurl.com/ybe2aa6u
for
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/St+Albans/Oxford/@51.6873083,-1.0785884,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x487638a0e793c909:0x71ec848046a64059!2m2!1d-0.339436!2d51.752725!1m5!1m1!1s0x48713380adc41faf:0xc820dba8cb547402!2m2!1d-1.2577263!2d51.7520209!3e0?hl=en

1 h 8 min, 55.7 miles
1 h 18 min, 47.6 miles
1 h 25 min, 56.7 miles

Public transport is a no-no. You would need to go to London and out
again walking between various bus and rail stations.

I haven't been in that area for a long time. You might get better
information from someone who does know the area.
2018-07-07 09:26:07 UTC
On Fri, 06 Jul 2018 22:12:24 GMT, "Peter Duncanson [BrE]"
Post by Tony Cooper
On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 13:43:57 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
[]
I don't suppose St Alban's is anywhere near Oxford?
50-ish miles.
http://tinyurl.com/ybe2aa6u
for
84,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x487638a0e793c909:0x71ec84804
6a64059!2m2!1d-0.339436!2d51.752725!1m5!1m1!1s0x48713380adc41faf:0xc820
dba8cb547402!2m2!1d-1.2577263!2d51.7520209!3e0?hl=en
1 h 8 min, 55.7 miles
1 h 18 min, 47.6 miles
1 h 25 min, 56.7 miles
Public transport is a no-no. You would need to go to London and out
again walking between various bus and rail stations.
I haven't been in that area for a long time. You might get better
information from someone who does know the area.
It's exceedingly good of you to do PTD's homwework for him.
HVS
The invariable answers are "because" or "why not", innit.
HVS
Sorry - screwed up the attributions.
Paul Wolff
2018-07-06 21:31:42 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."
Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
Never fear: if we miss the original there's always this quite
extraordinary recreation made of three million little bits of steel.
https://medievalmosaic.com/
I've seen it. Mind-boggling. My principal reaction was 'Why?'
I haven't. But there's a copy in Reading Museum, about the correct size
I think, stitched up by a posse of Victorian ladies, who left our a few
rude bits on account of delicate feelings. But it's still pretty good.
The dyed threads may even be of better quality than in the original.
There's no need to go to Bayeux, when you've Reading on your doorstep.
Paul
Tony Cooper
2018-07-06 21:54:27 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."
Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
Never fear: if we miss the original there's always this quite
extraordinary recreation made of three million little bits of steel.
https://medievalmosaic.com/
I've seen it. Mind-boggling. My principal reaction was 'Why?'
Drifting a bit on the subject...I've never seen the Bayeux tapestry,
but I have seen the Unicorn tapestries at The Cloisters in NYC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunt_of_the_Unicorn

I've been to The Cloisters three times, and each time I wonder why no
one else seems to go there. Never a crowd, and usually just one or
two others.

I see it's now "The Met Cloisters". A ticket is now a three-day pass
for The Met Cloisters, The Met Fifth Avenue, and The Met Breuer. I've
never been to The Met Breuer. (The "The" in each is capitalized and
part of the name)

Somehow "The Met..." seems a bit slangy and too New Yorkish to me. I
guess I sound like an out-of-towner when I refer to "the Metropolitan
Museum of Art".
2018-07-07 03:03:47 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
[...]
Always has been. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., purchased the collection _for_
the Met in 1925, and the land and building a few years later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cloisters
Post by HVS
A ticket is now a three-day pass
for The Met Cloisters, The Met Fifth Avenue, and The Met Breuer. I've
never been to The Met Breuer. (The "The" in each is capitalized and
part of the name)
It was the Whitney until a couple of years ago. The Whitney now has a
Piano building in the Meatpacking District and didn't need the Breuer
building any more.
Wait'll he finds out about the Metropolitan Opera.
Tony Cooper
2018-07-07 04:04:30 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
Post by Lanarcam
Post by occam
[...]
I don't think you're right. The quotes in my post indicate that the
name of the place is now "The Met Cloisters". It used to be "The
Cloisters" without "The Met" in front of it.

Looking in my copy of the "New York Art Guide" (1987), it is listed as
"The Cloisters". It's my feeling that at some time the name became
"The Met Cloisters", but I don't know when that change was made.

I already knew it was part of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It's
the name change that I'm pointing out with the "now".

I'm guessing that the change was made in 2016 when the Metropolitan
Museum of Art became "The Met Fifth Avenue":

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Metropolitan-Museum-of-Art
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by HVS
A ticket is now a three-day pass
for The Met Cloisters, The Met Fifth Avenue, and The Met Breuer. I've
never been to The Met Breuer. (The "The" in each is capitalized and
part of the name)
It was the Whitney until a couple of years ago.
Ah, then, I have been there.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by HVS
Somehow "The Met..." seems a bit slangy and too New Yorkish to me. I
guess I sound like an out-of-towner when I refer to "the Metropolitan
Museum of Art".
Wait'll he finds out about the Metropolitan Opera.
You still aren't getting it. I know they are both known as "The Met",
but it's the "The Met..." (with other words following) that is
different.

It seems to be a branding thing. There are several hits about the
change in admission fees, but nothing I could find on the change in
name for The Cloisters.
the Omrud
2018-07-07 07:46:35 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Never fear: if we miss the original there's always this quite
extraordinary recreation made of three million little bits of steel.
https://medievalmosaic.com/
I've seen it.  Mind-boggling.  My principal reaction was 'Why?'
Blimey.

I see it's going to Oxfordshire, which is easier for us to reach than St
Albans. It's on the list.
David
occam
It's digitized, and it's metalized. It's a 21st century re-release.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-07 06:15:04 UTC
There is a news article on the BBC web site about the Bayeux tapestry
being loaned to the UK by France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44732897
"The two countries will also work together to produce a full English
translation of the tapestry."
How do you translate what is essentially a cartoon strip with no words?
"The tapestry - said to have been created by nuns in England in the 11th
Century - depicts the Norman Conquest of England in 1066."
Is it being returned or loaned, if it was created by nuns in England? I
hope this is not going to form part of the Brexit negotiations - in
which case it may never cross the channel.
Some years ago the city of Seville loaned Christopher Columbus's
personal library to Marseilles. (We went to see it, and I was quite
surprised to see from his handwritten notes how erudite he was; my wife
said that the the idea that he was an ignorant illiterate sailor was
just an English prejudice.) Anyway, we learned that Genoa had been very
anxious to have it for an exhibition there, but apparently the people
in Seville doubted whether they'd ever see the books again if they
allowed them to go to Genoa.