Wilderness sightings
2019-11-07 23:24:58 UTC
Seen in the wild:

"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"

Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.

<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>

2019-11-08 04:58:55 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
(Oops.)

I think there are a lot of people who don't even try to look critically
at what they've written.
2019-11-08 05:18:10 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on
February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey
Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky,
Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
They forgot to mention his parents, Ayn Rand and God.
2019-11-09 15:21:18 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on
February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey
Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky,
Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
They forgot to mention his parents, Ayn Rand and God.
AynRand does not qualify to be mentioned as "his survivor". She died
1982. As for God, some say He died a long time ago... of disappointment.
occam
2019-11-09 15:17:17 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on
February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey
Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky,
Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
(Oops.)
I think there are a lot of people who don't even try to look critically
at what they've written.
Even if they don't, others is the Wikipedia army of editors surely do. I
frequently see comments in articles such as [needs better references] or
[needs editing].
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-08 15:20:08 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
Sorry, I don't see a problem. He was one of at least five siblings; he
had two children by his first wife and none by his second.
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-08 23:29:15 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
Sorry, I don't see a problem. He was one of at least five siblings; he
had two children by his first wife and none by his second.
Who are Mathew and Maura? Neighbors?

/dps
b***@shaw.ca
2019-11-09 20:04:15 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
Sorry, I don't see a problem. He was one of at least five siblings; he
had two children by his first wife and none by his second.
Who are Mathew and Maura? Neighbors?
His two children by his first marriage. (As I said.)
Maybe you need to have read a few newspaper obituaries to recognize the
conventions? (Maybe that passage was copied from one.)
I regularly glance through newspaper obituaries -- the ones usually written
by either a family member or someone at a funeral home -- and I think
the above sentence is a cut above those. But for those who get lost
in the list of survivors, a couple of semi-colons would clarify things.

Like this:

2019-11-10 13:34:18 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York
on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife,
Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage
to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two
sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness, but
that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
Sorry, I don't see a problem. He was one of at least five
siblings; he had two children by his first wife and none by his
second.
Who are Mathew and Maura? Neighbors?
His two children by his first marriage. (As I said.)
Maybe you need to have read a few newspaper obituaries to recognize
the conventions? (Maybe that passage was copied from one.)
It could be repaired by putting the children's names after the word
"children". Then you'd only have to deal with his unconventional
marriage to four or five siblings (depending on whose).

"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February
14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky,
his two children, Matthew and Maura, from his first marriage to Melissa
Stucky, and his two brothers and two sisters."

I don't think that would violate any sensible conventions.
--
If Stucky's first name was "Maurice" or "Mustapha", it would violate one
of my conventions.
Eric Walker
2019-11-11 11:52:03 UTC
On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 08:34:18 -0500, CDB wrote:

[...]
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February
14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky,
his two children, Matthew and Maura, from his first marriage to Melissa
Stucky, and his two brothers and two sisters."
I don't think that would violate any sensible conventions.
Agreed; but sentences like that can be made clearer by use of semi-colons:

"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February
14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky;
his two children, Matthew and Maura, from his first marriage to Melissa
Stucky; and his two brothers and two sisters."
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
CDB
2019-11-11 14:35:48 UTC
Post by Eric Walker
[...]
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on
February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen
Frey Stucky, his two children, Matthew and Maura, from his first
Freely conceded.
John Varela
2019-11-08 22:11:36 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
"Stucky died of brain cancer at his home in Ithaca, New York on February 14, 2016. His survivors include his second wife, Kristen Frey Stucky, his two children from his first marriage to Melissa Stucky, Matthew and Maura, two brothers, and two sisters.[9]"
Yes, a Wikped article, which isn't truly a wilderness,
but that second sentence must have seemed okay to someone.
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stucky>
Was anyone misled into thinking that his two brothers were children
of his first marriage?
John Varela
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-13 22:38:17 UTC
On a more lively note, our old backroom kids (still mostly boys, even today)
are making a cameo appearance on The Register.

"UK govt snubs Intel, seeks second-gen AMD Epyc processors for 28PFLOPS Archer2 supercomputer --
HPE's Cray hits 80-million-quid target to build boffinry beast"

The second line re-opens the laboratory, after our recent discussion of usage;
it's a subhead.
Meanwhile, the first line is the headline part of a link, and the URL portion is

<URL:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/15/uk_archer2_supercomputer/>

And the linked-to page shows the same head and sub.

/dps "Guacamole with your Chipzilla, anyone?"
s***@gmail.com
2019-11-13 23:10:05 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
On a more lively note, our old backroom kids (still mostly boys, even today)
are making a cameo appearance on The Register.
"UK govt snubs Intel, seeks second-gen AMD Epyc processors for 28PFLOPS Archer2 supercomputer --
HPE's Cray hits 80-million-quid target to build boffinry beast"
The second line re-opens the laboratory, after our recent discussion of usage;
it's a subhead.
Meanwhile, the first line is the headline part of a link, and the URL portion is
<URL:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/15/uk_archer2_supercomputer/>
And the linked-to page shows the same head and sub.
Also found on that playground, the cuddly Astroboffin. It looks like several distinct subspecies are being cared for by the Register's zookeepers.

2019-11-14 03:44:17 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
On a more lively note, our old backroom kids (still mostly boys, even today)
are making a cameo appearance on The Register.
"UK govt snubs Intel, seeks second-gen AMD Epyc processors for 28PFLOPS Archer2 supercomputer --
HPE's Cray hits 80-million-quid target to build boffinry beast"
The second line re-opens the laboratory, after our recent discussion of usage;
it's a subhead.
Meanwhile, the first line is the headline part of a link, and the URL portion is
<URL:https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/10/15/uk_archer2_supercomputer/>
And the linked-to page shows the same head and sub.
/dps "Guacamole with your Chipzilla, anyone?"
El Reg has a distinct house style which includes older words like "boffin".