not repaired
2018-01-10 21:15:00 UTC
1) I have seen a trace of strain in others' eyes, not spoken.
Source:
songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858725524/

2) I have seen that door today not repaired, but it might have been repaired
since.

3) I found my car in the back of the garage not repaired.

Are 1-3 grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?

In '1' is the 'trace' not spoken or the 'strain'?

Gratefully,
Navi.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-01-10 21:22:13 UTC
1) I have seen a trace of strain in others' eyes, not spoken.
songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858725524/
2) I have seen that door today not repaired, but it might have been repaired
since.
3) I found my car in the back of the garage not repaired.
Are 1-3 grammatical?
Are they idiomatic?
In '1' is the 'trace' not spoken or the 'strain'?
Gratefully,
Navi.
I) is poetry so all bets are off!

2) and 3) nobody would utter unless severely drunk!
Snidely
2018-01-11 09:53:20 UTC
1) I have seen a trace of strain in others' eyes, not spoken.
songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858725524/
Perhaps I shouldn't respond, since I don't think I know the song and
I'm not ready to follow the link. But quite clearly, "trace" refers to
the "strain", and it seems "not spoken" means that people aren't
telling you they feel strained (but you can see it in their eyes).

I would have to do more research than I'm going to to say if the people
are trying to hide the strain, or to pretend it's not there, or just
doing the stiff-upper-lip thing.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Big Data. What matters, as it
does for Arnold Lund in California or Richard Rothman in Baltimore, are
the questions -- old and new, good and bad -- this newest tool lets us
ask. (R. Lerhman, CSMonitor.com)