What was the "govende" meme all about?
markowe
2021-11-23 10:35:07 UTC
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I can find online is this page:

http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html

which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for which the Google snippet merely says:

"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup participant Daniel McGrath"

I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
J. J. Lodder
2021-11-23 10:51:51 UTC
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was still
a Usenet group.
It still is. It is just that gurglers no longer know it.
Post by markowe
And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the life
of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I can find
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for which
"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
participant Daniel McGrath"
I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?

Jan
markowe
2021-11-23 10:54:07 UTC
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was still
a Usenet group.
It still is. It is just that gurglers no longer know it.
Correction: when it was still ONLY a Usenet group.
I see, that's the way it is, is it?
CDB
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?
Tony Cooper
2021-11-23 14:32:49 UTC
Post by markowe
And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the
life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for
"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
participant Daniel McGrath"
I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?
A company that makes a ment.

What's profitable?
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
occam
2021-11-23 15:41:39 UTC
Post by markowe
And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the
life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for
"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
participant Daniel McGrath"
I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?
A company that makes a ment.
What's profitable?
Someone who is in favour of fitables.
What's a for profiterole?
CDB
A wad of bills in your back pocket. What's a pool hustler?
Snidely
2021-11-24 05:28:23 UTC
Post by markowe
And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't
for the life of me remember what the point of it was now? The
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere
"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet
newsgroup alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996
by newsgroup participant Daniel McGrath"
I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into
endlessly discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent
word, was that it?
No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?
A company that makes a ment.
What's profitable?
Someone who is in favour of fitables. What's a for profiterole?
A wad of bills in your back pocket. What's a pool hustler?
Fast Eddie. Who's in the box tonight?
Cracker Jack's. Who needs a lift?

The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html>
Quinn C
2021-11-24 14:00:10 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
Billy the Kid. Who gets your goat?
--
The seeds of new thought, sown in a ground that isn't prepared
to receive them, don't bear fruit.
-- Hedwig Dohm (1874), my translation
CDB
2021-11-24 17:06:45 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
He done scaped. Who is the greatest?
maybe of all time, maybe not
lar3ryca
2021-11-24 17:25:25 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
More like "What is the greatest?"
The method used to determine if the grea is working properly.

What's a testicle?
Snidely
2021-11-25 00:52:05 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
Taking your finals on a glacier. What's this about a glacée?

Who, me? And what lacuna?
Quinn C
2021-11-25 03:50:27 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by markowe
[...]
Makes the finest gloves. What's chamois?
--
- You all packed?
- Vagabond shoes and all. And pepper spray. For if we run into
-- Veronica Mars, S02E22 (2006)
Tony Cooper
2021-11-25 04:06:05 UTC
On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 22:50:27 -0500, Quinn C
Post by Quinn C
Post by Snidely
Post by markowe
[...]
French for Private Detective.

What's a prank?
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
CDB
Bilabial hotdog. What's a foodle?
Snidely
2021-11-26 13:37:34 UTC
CDB is guilty of <sno46e$c3m$***@gioia.aioe.org> as of 11/25/2021 5:47:57
AM
Post by markowe
[...]
A garment with a folded headcovering. Oh, wait, what the ... ell?

Maybe we're getting the French Labra.

Either way, what's plush?

"What do you think of my cart, Miss Morland? A neat one, is not it?
Well hung: curricle-hung in fact. Come sit by me and we'll test the
springs."
(Speculative fiction by H.Lacedaemonian.)
CDB
2021-11-27 14:01:12 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by markowe
[...]
This was great pun in the initial plush of enthusiasm, but now I think
I'll plush any further farticipation on my fart.
Snidely
2021-11-28 11:17:03 UTC
On Saturday or thereabouts, CDB declared ...
Post by CDB
Post by Snidely
Post by markowe
[...]
Well, that's the end of that.

Snidely
2021-11-29 00:48:07 UTC
Post by CDB
Post by Snidely
Post by markowe
[...]
What's tight?

Killing a mouse was hardly a Nobel Prize-worthy exercise, and Lawrence
went apopleptic when he learned a lousy rodent had peed away all his
precious heavy water.
_The Disappearing Spoon_, Sam Kean
lar3ryca
A frog's arsehole. What's a salamander?
Quinn C
2021-12-03 18:39:55 UTC
Post by lar3ryca
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here
many many years ago when it was still a
Usenet group. It still is. It is just that gurglers no
longer know it. And I remember Daniel McGrath's
[...]
The left-over side in the refrigerator. What's chilling?
That this thread is still going. What's binging?
--
There is a whole cottage industry devoted to people who are
upset by the idea of others being outraged.
-- Washington Post 2019-09-18
Sam Plusnet
2021-12-03 19:30:08 UTC
Post by lar3ryca
Post by markowe
[...]
Let me google that for you. What's a Wiki?
lar3ryca
2021-12-04 19:20:21 UTC
On Fri, 3 Dec 2021 19:30:08 +0000
Post by Quinn C
Post by lar3ryca
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here
many many years ago when it was still a
Usenet group. It still is. It is just that
gurglers no longer know it. And I remember
[...]
A backward New Zealander? What time is high noon in Brokenwood?
Never. It's always pointing down.

What's a woodpecker?

Peter T. Daniels
Ollie, ollie, oxen free. Who's on the team?
Snidely
2021-11-25 00:53:11 UTC
Lo, on the 11/24/2021, Peter T. Daniels did proclaim ...
Post by markowe
[...]
Ollie's long gone, but Brady hangs in there. What's a buccaneer?

I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain
Peter Moylan
2021-11-25 01:46:26 UTC
Post by markowe
I seem to remember the point was to troll
new users into endlessly discussing the pronunciation of
this non-existent word, was that it?
No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?
A company that makes a ment. What's profitable?
Someone who is in favour of fitables. What's a for profiterole?
A wad of bills in your back pocket. What's a pool hustler?
Fast Eddie. Who's in the box tonight?
Cracker Jack's. Who needs a lift?
Billy the Kid. Who gets your goat?
He done scaped. Who is the greatest? --
maybe of all time, maybe not
Ollie, ollie, oxen free. Who's on the team?
Ollie's long gone, but Brady hangs in there. What's a buccaneer?
The thing on the side of your buccanhead. What's a headwind?
Little Regan could do those. What's an extortionist?
Snidely
2021-11-26 13:37:36 UTC
Post by markowe
I seem to remember the point was to troll
new users into endlessly discussing the pronunciation of
this non-existent word, was that it?
No, it wasn't. What's a non-existent word?
Tohu or bohu. What's a firmament?
A company that makes a ment. What's profitable?
Someone who is in favour of fitables. What's a for profiterole?
A wad of bills in your back pocket. What's a pool hustler?
Fast Eddie. Who's in the box tonight?
Cracker Jack's. Who needs a lift?
Billy the Kid. Who gets your goat?
He done scaped. Who is the greatest? --
maybe of all time, maybe not
Ollie, ollie, oxen free. Who's on the team?
Ollie's long gone, but Brady hangs in there. What's a buccaneer?
The thing on the side of your buccanhead. What's a headwind?
Braids. What's a Mohawk?

Peter T. Daniels
A Finger Lake. What's a ladyfinger?
Mack A. Damia
Dr. Mary checking your prostate. What is a gland?
Richard Heathfield
2021-11-26 21:08:40 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
A gleat amount biggel than a ton. What's a long weight?
"Your call is important to us." What's a white lie?
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Snidely
2021-11-28 11:16:07 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
Where the cue ball is. What's in the pocket?

As a colleague once told me about an incoming manager,
"He does very well in a suck-up, kick-down culture."
Bill in Vancouver
Mack A. Damia
The staff of life. What is sourdough?
Snidely
2021-12-03 09:11:29 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Post by markowe
[...]
When you spill vinegar on your dollar bills. What's a billhook?

Maybe C282Y is simply one of the hangers-on, a groupie following a
future guitar god of the human genome: an allele with undiscovered
virtuosity, currently soloing in obscurity in Mom's garage.
Bradley Wertheim, theAtlantic.com, Jan 10 2013
Anders D. Nygaard
2021-11-26 19:17:03 UTC
Post by markowe
[...]
Mr. Otis. What are reregrets?

/Anders, Denmark
bil...@shaw.ca
A rer type of egrets. What's on the wing?
lar3ryca
A bell on the end. What's a party?
Anders D. Nygaard
2021-11-28 10:46:47 UTC
Post by lar3ryca
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by markowe
[...]
A thing to go with a partx. What's a gizmo?

/Anders, Denmark
Snidely
2021-11-28 11:15:13 UTC
On Sunday or thereabouts, Anders D. Nygaard declared ...
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by lar3ryca
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by markowe
[...]
A generous donor. What's a generic doner?

Bill in Vancouver
Lewis
2021-11-28 14:22:29 UTC
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by lar3ryca
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by markowe
[...]
A dull kebab. What's a gyro?
I WILL NOT GREASE THE MONKEY BARS Bart chalkboard Ep. 7F17
bil...@shaw.ca
2021-11-28 22:12:28 UTC
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by lar3ryca
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by markowe
[...]
Someone with a gear loose. What's Greek to me?

2021-11-29 00:03:40 UTC
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by Anders D. Nygaard
Post by lar3ryca
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by markowe
[...]
Du Chinois. What's a peeking Duck?
https://omniglot.com/language/idioms/incomprehensible.php
Peter Moylan
2021-11-23 11:40:36 UTC
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
still a Usenet group.
It always was, and still is. If Google chooses to carry an echo of it,
that doesn't change the nature of the group. Some of us feel rather
strongly that it's unethical of Google to imply that it hosts the group.
Some have gone further and killfile any articles that come from Google
Gropus users.
Post by markowe
And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the
life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for
"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
participant Daniel McGrath"
I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
Daniel wasn't a troll, although initially we thought he was. His autism
explained his quirks. One of those was an obsession with the word
"govende", which he insisted should be pronounced goo-vain. Why he was
obsessed with that word was never revealed.

You're probably familiar with the sort of cascade that goes:
What's an A?
It's a B. What's a C.
For a while we called those threads govendes, in honour of Daniel's word.
2021-11-23 12:45:02 UTC
Post by markowe
And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke, but I can't for the
life of me remember what the point of it was now? The only thing I
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
which doesn't seem to be up anymore, isn't cached anywhere and for
"Govende is the name of a prank and game on the Usenet newsgroup
alt.usage.english. The prank was initiated in 1996 by newsgroup
participant Daniel McGrath"
I seem to remember the point was to troll new users into endlessly
discussing the pronunciation of this non-existent word, was that it?
Daniel wasn't a troll, although initially we thought he was. His autism
explained his quirks. One of those was an obsession with the word
"govende", which he insisted should be pronounced goo-vain.
At the time, we were unfamiliar with covfefe, which is just a different
spelling of the same word.
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.
Peter Moylan
2021-11-23 23:20:09 UTC
Daniel wasn't a troll, although initially we thought he was. His
autism explained his quirks. One of those was an obsession with the
word "govende", which he insisted should be pronounced goo-vain.
At the time, we were unfamiliar with covfefe, which is just a
different spelling of the same word.
Thanks for pointing that out. Until now I hadn't known how to pronounce
covfefe.
Steve Hayes
2021-11-26 06:35:16 UTC
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
It still exists on Facebook.
Steve Hayes http://khanya.wordpress.com
bil...@shaw.ca
2021-11-26 07:42:40 UTC
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
It still exists on Facebook.
I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still play.
(What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for puns,
etc.

What's afoot?
markowe
2021-11-26 09:56:42 UTC
Post by ***@shaw.ca
I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still play.
(What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for puns,
etc.
What's afoot?
It's when you haven't got a leg to stand on.

OK, I remember now! Although the part about the word "govende" being an obsession of Daniel McGrath's, possibly related to him being on the spectrum, escaped me at the time, I just thought it was funny to debate the meaning and pronunciation of a word that meant nothing, I saw nothing autistic in that.

So what's disseminate?
Peter Moylan
2021-11-26 10:23:12 UTC
Post by markowe
Post by ***@shaw.ca
I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or
for the invention of the game, possibly called govende by some,
which we still play. (What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy?
opening more space for puns, etc.
What's afoot?
It's when you haven't got a leg to stand on.
OK, I remember now! Although the part about the word "govende" being
an obsession of Daniel McGrath's, possibly related to him being on
the spectrum, escaped me at the time, I just thought it was funny to
debate the meaning and pronunciation of a word that meant nothing, I
saw nothing autistic in that.
So what's disseminate?
Much the same as datseminate, I imagine.

Extra detail for those who don't know the history. Initially we thought
that Daniel was some sort of troll. At some point his mother posted a
message to AUE, explaining that he was autistic, that the newsgroup was
important to him, and could we please not be too rough on him. After
that he became almost a sort of mascot for the group.

His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.

If we step back far enough, we can see that we all get disturbed by
little things like that. The difference is that for most people the
level of disturbance is so small as to be hardly noticeable. For anyone
stuck on an obsession, the level can be magnified to a "seriously
troubled" point.
2021-11-26 11:11:15 UTC
Post by markowe
Post by ***@shaw.ca
[...]
Another that came up often was his dislike of the word "rare".
markowe
2021-11-26 12:09:07 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.
If we step back far enough, we can see that we all get disturbed by
little things like that. The difference is that for most people the
level of disturbance is so small as to be hardly noticeable. For anyone
stuck on an obsession, the level can be magnified to a "seriously
troubled" point.
--
Thanks for that background, I had absolutely no idea, I bowed out of Usenet when spam levels became intolerable. Daniel's level of intense feeling about certain points of language didn't stand out that much to me at the time. I don't know what that says about me! Though those were also the days of Bun Mui (now what happened to him/her?!), so I probably also just thought he was a troll (though not in a bad sense, just someone who liked to perpetuate weird in-jokes).

Damn, there is something about those days when Usenet was in its prime and you had some real Internet characters around in these communities, that mostly got lost a long time ago, especially when forums largely died a death.
CDB
2021-11-26 13:03:57 UTC
[That was Peter, not Athel]
Post by Peter Moylan
[...]
These days we favour a more ambiguous pronoun. Or sometimes more ambiguous.

And now! Here they are! Bun! and Mui! What's a dolly?
forums largely died a death.
J. J. Lodder
2021-11-26 14:38:42 UTC
Post by Peter Moylan
[...]
Not here.
Looking back, aue has about the same posting volume
that it had ten years ago.
The long term worry is that it is carried by fewer people,
and they have gotten older.

Many regular posters have disappeared,
but new faces are seen, once in a while,
and some of them remain,

2021-11-26 18:28:14 UTC
Post by markowe
Damn, there is something about those days when Usenet was in its prime and
you had some real Internet characters around in these communities, that
mostly got lost a long time ago, especially when forums largely died a
death.
Not here.
Looking back, aue has about the same posting volume
that it had ten years ago.
The long term worry is that it is carried by fewer people,
and they have gotten older.
Many regular posters have disappeared,
but new faces are seen, once in a while,
and some of them remain,
But some come back: recently "lar" from Canada, and just today,
markowe.

Both from long enough ago to be before my time.
Peter Moylan
2021-11-27 00:33:23 UTC
Post by markowe
Thanks for that background, I had absolutely no idea, I bowed out of
Usenet when spam levels became intolerable. Daniel's level of
intense feeling about certain points of language didn't stand out
that much to me at the time. I don't know what that says about me!
And about the rest of us. The point has been made several times that a
number of AUE regulars are sitting somewhere in the autism spectrum. I
go further, and claim that the obsession and focus that is
characteristic of the spectrum is almost a prerequisite for success in
science, in engineering research, in mathematics, and a few similar
areas of human endeavour. In aspects, as it happens, that attract people
to AUE.
Post by markowe
Though those were also the days of Bun Mui (now what happened to
him/her?!), so I probably also just thought he was a troll (though
not in a bad sense, just someone who liked to perpetuate weird
in-jokes).
Someone claimed to have spotted Bun Mui when at a boink, but I think
that was a false alarm. I'm convinced that it was a regular who was
playing a long-running role. The very name is a giveaway, because in
some parts of the Chinese-speaking world it's a put-down for a
low-status Filipina worker.
Post by markowe
Damn, there is something about those days when Usenet was in its
prime and you had some real Internet characters around in these
communities, that mostly got lost a long time ago, especially when
forums largely died a death.
As it happens - as it was meant to happen - I was trying to explain the
history of this to someone the other day. Long ago, people abandoned the
mailing lists for the newsgroups. (Or was it the other way around?)
Eventually the arrival of Google Groups lowered the standards, and not a
lot later many regulars moved to Facebook. By now, I gather, the young
people are complaining that Facebook is only for old people, and they
have moved on to other platforms I don't care to investigate.
2021-11-26 15:56:38 UTC
On Friday, November 26, 2021 at 3:23:16 AM UTC-7, Peter Moylan wrote:

[DGMcG]
Post by Peter Moylan
His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.

Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).
musika
2021-11-26 16:03:08 UTC
[DGMcG]
Post by Peter Moylan
His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.
Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).
Yes. I was going to post that Daniel went one further (USE and alt UKE
"farther".)
--
Ray
UK
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-11-26 17:01:54 UTC
Post by musika
Post by Jerry Friedman
[DGMcG]
Post by Peter Moylan
His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.
Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).
Yes. I was going to post that Daniel went one further (USE and alt UKE
"farther".)
Before his mother told us about his autism he gave a clear hint in his
posting name of Daniel al-Autisqi (or something like that), but I'm not
sure we all picked that up.
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.
CDB
2021-11-27 12:58:31 UTC
Post by musika
Post by Jerry Friedman
[DGMcG]
Post by Peter Moylan
His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende
was just one example. He was very worried about the name of the
Pacific Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather
that is far from pacific. There were a few other cases like that.
Later, when he was institutionalised, he had a nurse called J
(not Jay), and he was bothered by the fact that someone could
have a name that was just one letter.
Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).
Yes. I was going to post that Daniel went one further (USE and alt
UKE "farther".)
I'm with them. If the word describes a spatial relationship, either
real or metaphorical (as here), I write "farther". But I will not
impose further on your patience.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-11-26 16:23:12 UTC
[DGMcG]
Post by Peter Moylan
His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.
Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).
That's what I thought.
Athel -- French and British, living mainly in England until 1987.
Peter Moylan
2021-11-27 00:19:54 UTC
[DGMcG]
Post by Peter Moylan
His obsessions were intense, though. The pronunciation of govende was
just one example. He was very worried about the name of the Pacific
Ocean, since we all know that it can have stormy weather that is far
from pacific. There were a few other cases like that. Later, when he was
institutionalised, he had a nurse called J (not Jay), and he was
bothered by the fact that someone could have a name that was just one
letter.
Pretty sure her name was K (not Kay).
Yes, you're right. My remembery is not what it used to be.
2021-11-26 18:20:28 UTC
Post by markowe
Post by ***@shaw.ca
[...]
The one I saw the most, alongside "Pacific," was "send." I knew nothing
about Sam Cooke or where that had come from, but every time that
meaning comes up in a crossword puzzle, I remember Dan fondly.
troubled" point.
Mack A. Damia
Reverse ejaculation. What is a gamete?
markowe
2021-11-26 16:00:01 UTC
Gamburgers. What's a manouevre?
Snidely
2021-11-28 11:19:49 UTC
Post by markowe
Post by markowe
So what's disseminate?
Reverse ejaculation. What is a gamete?
Gamburgers. What's a manouevre?
He's over a bottomless pit. What's a top hat?

"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
J. J. Lodder
2021-11-26 14:38:43 UTC
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
It still exists on Facebook.
I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still play.
(What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for puns,
etc.
What's afoot?
The end of a ruler. What's a royal marriage?
A pre-production agreement. How long is the line?

2021-11-28 11:21:48 UTC
On Friday or thereabouts, J. J. Lodder declared ...
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
It still exists on Facebook.
I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we still
play. (What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening more space for
puns, etc.
What's afoot?
The end of a ruler. What's a royal marriage?
A pre-production agreement. How long is the line?
Long enough that you can hold the line. What's a sheet in the wind?

But happiness cannot be pursued; it must ensue. One must have a reason
to 'be happy.'"
Viktor Frankl
Sam Plusnet
2021-11-28 17:57:15 UTC
Post by J. J. Lodder
Post by ***@shaw.ca
Post by Steve Hayes
Post by markowe
Kind of meta but I used to lurk here many many years ago when it was
still a Usenet group. And I remember Daniel McGrath's "govende" joke,
but I can't for the life of me remember what the point of it was now?
http://wikibin.org/articles/govende-3.html
It still exists on Facebook.
I wasn't around for either the govende joke, whatever that was, or for the
invention of the game, possibly called govende by some, which we
still play. (What's a xxx? Punning answer. What's a yyy? opening
more space for puns, etc.
What's afoot?
The end of a ruler.  What's a royal marriage?
A pre-production agreement. How long is the line?
Long enough that you can hold the line.   What's a sheet in the wind?
Something you should _not_ do to windward. What's a blowback?