None of the above methods work.
hongy...@gmail.com
2021-01-24 01:07:03 UTC
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.

Which is correct?

Regards,
HY
David Kleinecke
2021-01-24 01:52:04 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -

IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Snidely
2021-01-24 02:40:45 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
I prefer the first, and I'm not sure about the commonality of
occurences of the second in the wild.

Yes, I have had a cucumber soda. Why do you ask?
Mark Brader
2021-01-24 05:23:14 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Agreed. I say that the best usage depends on how many of the methods
people might have expected to work, if any of them did. If only one
was likely to, then construe "none" as singular and say "works".
If several were likely to, then construe it as plural and say "work".
--
Mark Brader | "It is only a guess, of course.
***@vex.net | I hope none of you ever finds out for certain."

2021-01-24 14:41:03 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Both are correct but not in free variation -- sometimes you
want to think of individual methods not working, sometimes
of whatever methods you might try, no matter what,
David Kleinecke
2021-01-24 16:50:04 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Both are correct but not in free variation -- sometimes you
want to think of individual methods not working, sometimes
of whatever methods you might try, no matter what,
I don't think I make such a distinction.

I also don't think there is any practical way of determining whether
I do indeed make it,
Bebercito
2021-01-24 22:09:31 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Both are correct but not in free variation -- sometimes you
want to think of individual methods not working, sometimes
of whatever methods you might try, no matter what,
I don't think I make such a distinction.
I also don't think there is any practical way of determining whether
I do indeed make it,
There can be cases where, by definition, methods are mutually exclusive
and the plural form, "work", wouldn't make sense as methods can't
be used in combination.
Snidely
2021-01-24 22:42:59 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Both are correct but not in free variation -- sometimes you
want to think of individual methods not working, sometimes
of whatever methods you might try, no matter what,
I don't think I make such a distinction.
I also don't think there is any practical way of determining whether
I do indeed make it,
There can be cases where, by definition, methods are mutually exclusive
and the plural form, "work", wouldn't make sense as methods can't
be used in combination.
I think "work" is still appropriate in this case. En Masse or in
succession, THEY don't work.

Ieri, oggi, domani
Bebercito
2021-01-25 02:14:03 UTC
Post by Bebercito
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by ***@gmail.com
None of the above methods work.
None of the above methods works.
Which is correct?
There will be other opinions but -
IMO both are correct and in free variation.
Both are correct but not in free variation -- sometimes you
want to think of individual methods not working, sometimes
of whatever methods you might try, no matter what,
I don't think I make such a distinction.
I also don't think there is any practical way of determining whether
I do indeed make it,
There can be cases where, by definition, methods are mutually exclusive
and the plural form, "work", wouldn't make sense as methods can't
be used in combination.
I think "work" is still appropriate in this case. En Masse or in
succession, THEY don't work.
But determining whether methods are mutually exclusive is indeed
"a practical way" of making a distinction, which is what I was
responding to.
Ieri, oggi, domani