Remember, remember
Peter Duncanson (BrE)
2009-03-06 22:28:09 UTC
Provoking smiles among English speakers:

One of the sessions at the Game Developers Conference 2009 is:

Lessons from BRAIN AGE on Password Memorability

Speaker: A. Forget

https://upload.cmpevents.com/GD09/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=639742
R H Draney
2009-03-07 01:09:05 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson (BrE)
Lessons from BRAIN AGE on Password Memorability
Speaker: A. Forget
The author of the book "Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap English and How to Use It"
is given on the dust jacket as "A. Parody", also the author of "Shite's
Unoriginal Miscellany", "A Shite History of Nearly Everything" and "Shitedoku:
Addictive, Fun, Shite"....

The name sounds contrived, but Antal Parody is apparently his real name....r
--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"
tinwhistler
2009-03-07 17:42:48 UTC
Post by R H Draney
 Lessons from BRAIN AGE on Password Memorability
 Speaker: A. Forget
The author of the book "Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap English and How to Use It"
is given on the dust jacket as "A. Parody", also the author of "Shite's
Addictive, Fun, Shite"....
The name sounds contrived, but Antal Parody is apparently his real name....r
--
"You got Schadenfreude on my Weltanschauung!"
"You got Weltanschauung in my Schadenfreude!"
Wiki has a footnote citing Parody in a discussion of the longest
sentence; see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)
[excerpt] ..When written this episode contained the longest sentence
in English literature, 4,391 words expressed by Molly Bloom[11] ..[11]
It was surpassed in 2001 by Jonathan Coes The Rotters' Club (novel)|
The Rotters Club. Parody, Antal (2004). Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap
English and How to Use it. [end excerpt]
I am not sure if this assertion is that Parody now has the longest
sentence, or if Parody was the one to find that Coe now has it. Most
likely, Parody now has it, no?
Aloha ~~~ Ozzie Maland ~~~ San Diego
Peter Brandt Nielsen
2009-03-08 18:34:19 UTC
Post by tinwhistler
Wiki has a footnote citing Parody in a discussion of the longest
sentence; seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)
[excerpt] ..When written this episode contained the longest sentence
in English literature, 4,391 words expressed by Molly Bloom[11] ..[11]
It was surpassed in 2001 by Jonathan Coes The Rotters' Club (novel)|
The Rotters Club. Parody, Antal (2004). Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap
English and How to Use it.  [end excerpt]
I am not sure if this assertion is that Parody now has the longest
sentence, or if Parody was the one to find that Coe now has it.  Most
likely, Parody now has it, no?
It looks like it's an editing error at Wikipedia. Page 51 of "Eats,
Shites & Leaves" includes the statement about the Ulysses sentence and
nothing about Jonathan Coe. And no, it is not "Eats, Shites & Leaves"
itself that holds the record.
tinwhistler
2009-03-08 19:03:32 UTC
On Mar 8, 11:34 am, Peter Brandt Nielsen
Post by Peter Brandt Nielsen
Post by tinwhistler
Wiki has a footnote citing Parody in a discussion of the longest
sentence; seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)
[excerpt] ..When written this episode contained the longest sentence
in English literature, 4,391 words expressed by Molly Bloom[11] ..[11]
It was surpassed in 2001 by Jonathan Coes The Rotters' Club (novel)|
The Rotters Club. Parody, Antal (2004). Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap
English and How to Use it.  [end excerpt]
I am not sure if this assertion is that Parody now has the longest
sentence, or if Parody was the one to find that Coe now has it.  Most
likely, Parody now has it, no?
It looks like it's an editing error at Wikipedia. Page 51 of "Eats,
Shites & Leaves" includes the statement about the Ulysses sentence and
nothing about Jonathan Coe. And no, it is not "Eats, Shites & Leaves"
itself that holds the record.
Usually it has been Evan Kirshenbaum who has come up with such
excellent scholarship at aue -- thanks, and keep on truckin.
Aloha ~~~ Ozzie Maland ~~~ San Diego
Chuck Riggs
2009-03-09 15:39:45 UTC
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 11:34:19 -0700 (PDT), Peter Brandt Nielsen
Post by tinwhistler
Wiki has a footnote citing Parody in a discussion of the longest
sentence; seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulysses_(novel)
[excerpt] ..When written this episode contained the longest sentence
in English literature, 4,391 words expressed by Molly Bloom[11] ..[11]
It was surpassed in 2001 by Jonathan Coes The Rotters' Club (novel)|
The Rotters Club. Parody, Antal (2004). Eats, Shites & Leaves: Crap
English and How to Use it.  [end excerpt]
I am not sure if this assertion is that Parody now has the longest
sentence, or if Parody was the one to find that Coe now has it.  Most
likely, Parody now has it, no?
It looks like it's an editing error at Wikipedia. Page 51 of "Eats,
Shites & Leaves" includes the statement about the Ulysses sentence and
nothing about Jonathan Coe. And no, it is not "Eats, Shites & Leaves"
itself that holds the record.
Molly Bloom's lengthy soliloquy at the close of Ulysses may look like
a single sentence, because it contains no punctuation, but that
doesn't make it one, at least not by most people's definition of a
sentence.
--
Regards,

Chuck Riggs