groups for all subjects
2020-01-05 09:41:39 UTC
1) Tracking is separating students by academic ability into groups for all
subjects or certain classes and curriculum[2] within a school. It may be
referred to as streaming or phasing in certain schools.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_(education)

Is the first sentence grammatical?
Is it idiomatic?

Does 'for all subjects' modify 'groups' or 'separating students by academic
ability'?

I think it is the latter. But I am not sure 'for' can be used that way...

Gratefully,
Navi
Mark Brader
2020-01-05 11:58:45 UTC
1) Tracking is separating students by academic ability into groups for all
subjects or certain classes and curriculum[2] within a school. It may be
referred to as streaming or phasing in certain schools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_(education)
Is the first sentence grammatical?
Not with "curriculum" in the singular.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Is it idiomatic?
I would not call it good style, but yes.
Post by a***@gmail.com
Does 'for all subjects' modify 'groups' or 'separating students by academic
ability'?
No. It modifies "separating students by academic ability into groups".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
***@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew
a***@gmail.com
2020-01-05 20:02:10 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Does 'for all subjects' modify 'groups' or 'separating students by academic
ability'?
No. It modifies "separating students by academic ability into groups".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
Thank you very much, Mark,

Would you say there is a difference between:
a) separating students by academic ability into groups for all subject
and
b) separating students by academic ability into groups for every subject

Will the groups be the same for every single subject or may we have different
groups for different subjects?

Gratefully,
Navi
Peter T. Daniels
2020-01-06 12:49:18 UTC
a) separating students by academic ability into groups for all subject
and
b) separating students by academic ability into groups for every subject
Will the groups be the same for every single subject or may we have different
groups for different subjects?
They describe two different situations, but the second would be clearer
with "each" instead of "every." Those two words are logically equivalent
but have different meanings.