for use in extreme situations
2019-11-03 03:22:39 UTC
1) This is a weapon, for use in extreme situations.
2) This is a weapon, to use in extreme situations.
3) This is a weapon, to be used in extreme situations.

Is the punctuation in the above sentences acceptable?
Does the comma alter the meaning?
If yes, how does it do so?

I think the comma makes the following part non-restrictive. The information
that follows is additional information. I see two possibilities. Either
that part is added as an afterthought, or it is implied that all weapons
are for use in extreme situations.

4) This is not a toy. It is a weapon, for use in extreme situations.

Would you say that is correct?

Gratefully,
Navi
Peter T. Daniels
2019-11-03 14:14:44 UTC
On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 11:22:42 PM UTC-4, ***@gmail.com wrote:
Can y
Post by a***@gmail.com
1) This is a weapon, for use in extreme situations.
2) This is a weapon, to use in extreme situations.
3) This is a weapon, to be used in extreme situations.
Is the punctuation in the above sentences acceptable?
no
Post by a***@gmail.com
Does the comma alter the meaning?
no
Post by a***@gmail.com
If yes, how does it do so?
by making the punctuation wrong
Post by a***@gmail.com
I think the comma makes the following part non-restrictive. The information
that follows is additional information. I see two possibilities. Either
that part is added as an afterthought, or it is implied that all weapons
are for use in extreme situations.
4) This is not a toy. It is a weapon, for use in extreme situations.
Would you say that is correct?
This sentence is "correct," but it has nothing to do with the explanation
given above it. Can you figure out what (4) has that (1)-(3) don't?
a***@gmail.com
2019-11-03 19:40:04 UTC
Can y
Post by a***@gmail.com
I think the comma makes the following part non-restrictive. The information
that follows is additional information. I see two possibilities. Either
that part is added as an afterthought, or it is implied that all weapons
are for use in extreme situations.
4) This is not a toy. It is a weapon, for use in extreme situations.
Would you say that is correct?
This sentence is "correct," but it has nothing to do with the explanation
given above it. Can you figure out what (4) has that (1)-(3) don't?
Thank you very much, Peter, for all your replies,

I suppose '4' sets things in a different context. A comparison is involved.

Gratefully,
Navi