Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down
Ian Jackson
2019-12-01 22:15:04 UTC
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
Ian
Richard Heathfield
2019-12-01 22:42:00 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
This is very upsetting new's indeed.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Ken Blake
2019-12-01 23:56:55 UTC
Post by Richard Heathfield
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
This is very upsetting new's indeed.
You almost took the words out of my mouth.
2019-12-01 22:50:18 UTC
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
From https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/:

Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
2019-12-02 09:00:49 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
Hmm. "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
was unable to complete your request."

There used to be a UseNet group called Possessive-its-has-no-apostrophe
(or something like that). I dont know if it still exist's.
HVS
2019-12-02 15:50:53 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but
the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
Hmm. "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration
and was unable to complete your request."
There used to be a UseNet group called
Possessive-its-has-no-apostrophe (or something like that). I dont
know if it still exist's.
Yes -- alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe, shortened in discussions
to "apihna".

It used to be quite enjoyable, but taking a quick look, it's almost
entirely moribund -- just a handful of posts in the last year.
--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng (30 yrs) and BrEng (36 yrs),
indiscriminately mixed
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-12-02 16:50:26 UTC
Post by HVS
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but
the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
Hmm. "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration
and was unable to complete your request."
There used to be a UseNet group called
Possessive-its-has-no-apostrophe (or something like that). I dont
know if it still exist's.
Yes -- alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe, shortened in discussions
to "apihna".
It used to be quite enjoyable, but taking a quick look, it's almost
entirely moribund -- just a handful of posts in the last year.
Yes, but there are some familiar names there -- Mack.A.Damia, your good
self, Peter Duncanson, Peter Young, and some good stuff well worth
circulating:

2019-12-02 17:55:20 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
https://imgc.artprintimages.com/img/print/i-have-two-mommies-i-know-where-the-apostrophe-goes-new-yorker-cartoon_u-l-pgsczr0.jpg?h=550&w=550
Doc Robin was very active in its day.

Good banter and often quite humorous.
Adam Funk
2019-12-05 11:20:02 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
[...]
Excellent!
--
Dear Ann [Landers]: if there's an enormous rash of necrophilia that
happens in the next year because of this song, please let me know.
99.9% of the rest of us know it's a funny song! ---Alice Cooper
Ian Jackson
2019-12-02 17:56:54 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but
the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!�
Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
Hmm. "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration
and was unable to complete your request."
There used to be a UseNet group called
Possessive-its-has-no-apostrophe (or something like that). I dont
know if it still exist's.
Yes -- alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe, shortened in discussions
to "apihna".
It used to be quite enjoyable, but taking a quick look, it's almost
entirely moribund -- just a handful of posts in the last year.
It's possible that all the possible ways of getting it wrong have been
exhausted, and are no longer worth reporting or discussing.
Ian
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-12-03 00:03:29 UTC
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 10:00:49 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
Hmm. "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
was unable to complete your request."
That is because of the colon after the final /

The latest status is given here:
https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/

The Apostrophe Protection Society
3rd December 2019

John Richards has announced the he is disbanding the Apostophe
Protection Society.

Since the announcement, this site has had a 600-fold increase in
traffic, which is proving expensive. So we have decided to close the
site until the new year.

When it returns, the site will no longer be updated.

Thank you for your interest.
2019-12-03 15:34:58 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Ian Jackson
Announced today, "The Apostrophe Protection Society shuts down".
https://tinyurl.com/s72e9o2
“We, and our many supporters worldwide, have done our best but the
ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won!”
Beware of FAKE NEWS! This APS Website is NOT CLOSING DOWN!
Hmm. "The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and
was unable to complete your request."
That is because of the colon after the final /
GG is clever enough to recognize that the colon isn't part of the URL
(and clicking that link takes one to the "disbandment" announcement).
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/