Coffee House
2018-09-22 03:15:03 UTC
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?

One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.

What's the situation worldwide?

PS: I had a breakfast burrito. It was so big I took
it home and had it for lunch too. Good.
Tony Cooper
2018-09-22 04:24:39 UTC
On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 20:15:03 -0700 (PDT), David Kleinecke
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
Seven AM is a bit late for a breakfast/lunch restaurant to open. Six
AM is more likely.

There are several like that in this area. But, there are also a lot
of restaurants that open in the late afternoon and close late at
night. The number of hours a place is open, or what hours, don't
change what I'd call it.

If it serves meals made-to-order, served on dishes, accompanied by
metal utensils, and non-paper drinking vessels, I'd call it a
restaurant. Maybe a "diner", but a diner is a restaurant.
2018-09-22 08:42:39 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
Seven AM is a bit late for a breakfast/lunch restaurant to open. Six
AM is more likely.
You'd think, but the closest decent dine to us opens at 7am, which means
we really cannot go there for breakfast during the school year.

Ah, I see they now open at 6:30, now that one kid is in college and the
other ants nothing to do with us, certainly not anything involving being
seen in public with us.
Post by Tony Cooper
There are several like that in this area. But, there are also a lot
of restaurants that open in the late afternoon and close late at
night. The number of hours a place is open, or what hours, don't
change what I'd call it.
No? I wouldn't call anything that opens in the afternoon a diner.

But yes, there are several places that only serve breakfast and lunch,
and I would call them restaurants. There are others that server breakfast
and lunch that I would call coffee shops. There are others that are
right on that line.

Sit down table service is always a restaurant. Counter service? Maybe,
depends on what they have. Is it a real meal like Panera, or munchies
like Starbucks?
Post by Tony Cooper
If it serves meals made-to-order, served on dishes, accompanied by
metal utensils, and non-paper drinking vessels, I'd call it a
restaurant. Maybe a "diner", but a diner is a restaurant.
Made-to-order might be the line between coffee shop and restaurant.
Paul Carmichael
2018-09-22 08:46:54 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
Seven AM is a bit late for a breakfast/lunch restaurant to open. Six
AM is more likely.
Heh. Breakfast here is 10:30.

Bars are open at 8 so the lorry drivers can have a Pacharán before setting off.

A coffee shop is where one buys soft drugs. In Amsterdam.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Lewis
2018-09-22 10:17:03 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
Seven AM is a bit late for a breakfast/lunch restaurant to open. Six
AM is more likely.
Heh. Breakfast here is 10:30.
That doesn't work when the kids have to be at school at 7:15 (although
this year is much better, with a start time of 8:27 (yes, 27. No one
knows why).
Post by Paul Carmichael
A coffee shop is where one buys soft drugs. In Amsterdam.
And, as far as I saw, there's no coffee. Granted, I didn't go in one,
but we passed many and I never saw anyone drinking coffee.
I WILL NOT YELL "FIRE" IN A CROWDED CLASSROOM Bart chalkboard Ep. 7G01
Cheryl
2018-09-22 10:47:04 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
A coffee shop is where one buys soft drugs. In Amsterdam.
And, as far as I saw, there's no coffee. Granted, I didn't go in one,
but we passed many and I never saw anyone drinking coffee.
I don't have a special term for restaurants that are only open for
breakfast or lunch. I certainly wouldn't call them coffee shops - coffee
shops might serve breakfast and lunch, but they're open much longer
hours, sometimes 24 hours, and their main focus is coffee and doughnuts,
even if they also have breakfast and lunch items.
Cheryl
J. J. Lodder

Jan
Paul Carmichael
2018-09-22 11:23:41 UTC
<snip>
Post by Lewis
Post by Paul Carmichael
A coffee shop is where one buys soft drugs. In Amsterdam.
And, as far as I saw, there's no coffee. Granted, I didn't go in one,
but we passed many and I never saw anyone drinking coffee.
I've seen it lots of times. Game of chess with a joint and a cup of coffee. What you will
very rarely see is alcohol. Mixing alcohol with weed is generally considered a bad idea.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
J. J. Lodder
2018-09-22 11:53:24 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
<snip>
Post by Lewis
Post by Paul Carmichael
A coffee shop is where one buys soft drugs. In Amsterdam.
And, as far as I saw, there's no coffee. Granted, I didn't go in one,
but we passed many and I never saw anyone drinking coffee.
I've seen it lots of times. Game of chess with a joint and a cup of
coffee. What you will very rarely see is alcohol. Mixing alcohol with weed
is generally considered a bad idea.
Amsterdam's 'coffee shops' do not have permission to sell alcohol,
and are not allowed to tolerate you bringing in any for yourself,

2018-09-22 12:24:47 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Tony Cooper
Seven AM is a bit late for a breakfast/lunch restaurant to open. Six
AM is more likely.
Heh. Breakfast here is 10:30.
That doesn't work when the kids have to be at school at 7:15 (although
this year is much better, with a start time of 8:27 (yes, 27. No one
knows why).
Screwie Lewie doesn't know where Paul's "here" is. Even though he includes
the information at the bottom of every message.
Horace LaBadie
Cafe.
bill van
2018-09-22 05:12:47 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
What's the situation worldwide?
PS: I had a breakfast burrito. It was so big I took
it home and had it for lunch too. Good.
Cafe.
I associate cafes with restaurants that serve liquor.

Anyway, there are no clearly drawn borders between different kinds of
restaurants. The one David is asking about,
I'd call a coffee shop. But some coffee shops are open different hours,
and I'd say this is a coffee shop
that's open for breakfast and lunch. Next question: Do they have
different menus for breakfast and lunch?

I expect this will become one of those aue threads where we discover
that people in other places
have different names for different sorts of restaurants than we do. Bar
and grill? Bistro? etc.

2018-09-22 06:32:44 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
What's the situation worldwide?
PS: I had a breakfast burrito. It was so big I took
it home and had it for lunch too. Good.
Cafe.
I associate cafes with restaurants that serve liquor.
I don't. The cafes (without é and pronounced [kɛɪ̯fs] or [kæfs]) that
existed in England when I were a lad were just bottom of the market
restaurants.
2018-09-22 06:09:27 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
Annoying.

And "a restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Close your tag and give it a rest, Jason"
***@vex.net | --FoxTrot (Bill Amend)
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-09-22 06:29:29 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
Annoying.
And "a restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch".
Yes. We don't really need single words for things like that.
2018-09-22 08:25:30 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
Annoying.
And "a restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch".
Yes. We don't really need single words for things like that.
Dutch has, 'ontbijtcafe', or 'ontbijtrestaurant'.
(an extra space is optional)

Just a random hit in a quick search
<https://www.tripadvisor.nl/Restaurant_Review-g188616-d10227182-Reviews-
Noen-Utrecht.html>

'Noen' is medieval Dutch (somewhat obsolete), also in 'noenmaal',
and of course also wordplay on English 'noon'.
Opening hours 8:00-18:00, so I guess they will do afternoon tea as well,
but no evening meals,

2018-09-22 06:51:02 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
What's the situation worldwide?
PS: I had a breakfast burrito. It was so big I took
it home and had it for lunch too. Good.
Seems to me that breakfast/lunch/sandwich places were called
"luncheonettes", although they do conjure up a scene of counters and
stools, but there were usually a few booths, at least from my
recollection.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-09-22 12:26:23 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
One suggestion was coffee shop. So the next question
was what exactly is a coffee shop? I - for one - do
not think a restaurant open 7-3 is correctly named
a coffee shop.
What's the situation worldwide?
I've known a couple such places -- I think one of them may have been in
Nashville, celebrated for waffles -- but there didn't seem to be a special
term.
occam
b***@aol.com
2018-09-22 13:37:34 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant that is only
open 7AM to 3PM. Question arose - what do you call a
restaurant that only serves breakfast and lunch?
If it's a restaurant by the criteria (service, etc.) described
elsethread, then simply "breakfast and lunch restaurant", otherwise
"breakfast and lunch place". (Googles returns countless hits for both.)

Apparently, the most common wording is just to use "breakfast and lunch"
as an adjectival phrase before whatever noun is chosen for the business
premises in question. Besides, it has the advantage of dispelling
cross-pondian ambiguities.