Inscrutable Black English!
2021-03-20 03:47:18 UTC
Inscrutable Black English!

Black lady in an ad for SAP's bots:

I hear:
I was just a day years old, or
I was just today years old.

She might be saying I was justa eight years old
If so, what is the function of the @ or t@ after just?

Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
I was able to comprehend it unlike the other part.
Stefan Ram
2021-03-20 04:11:51 UTC
Post by Dingbat
She might be saying I was justa eight years old
So that one can hear the "t" more clearly.

Lazy non-blacks often just say [ʤʌs]!
Errors and airs are essentially both [ɛɚz].
Joseph C. Fineman
2021-03-21 02:30:27 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Errors and airs are essentially both [ɛɚz].
Horrors!
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: I'm too old to give a fuck. :||
Chrysi Cat
2021-03-22 02:42:13 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
Errors and airs are essentially both [ɛɚz].
You're both way out of your field this time.

She WAS saying "just TODAY years old".

For the proof, just search Twitter for how often the phrase pops up.

That said, i have no idea whether it's STILL an AAVEism or a neologism,
and I'm not sure it was an AAVEism in the first place anyway.

It's a colloquial, emphatic way to state that the speaker was unaware of
a subject until at most a few hours before they made the "just today
years old" statement.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2021-03-22 14:03:22 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Stefan Ram
Post by Dingbat
She might be saying I was justa eight years old
So that one can hear the "t" more clearly.
You're both way out of your field this time.
She WAS saying "just TODAY years old".
Thanks for making us aware of this new expression!
Learned it when I was just today years old!
Post by Chrysi Cat
That said, i have no idea whether it's STILL an AAVEism or a neologism,
and I'm not sure it was an AAVEism in the first place anyway.
Some reports say that Twitter user @stacilyncharles used it
on September 10th, 2015, and that this is the first known usage.
But it only went viral in 2018 and was also used a lot in 2020.

I have no information about any special connection between this
expression and African American culture. But then, I do not know
anything about the twitter users mentioned in reports.
Stefan Ram
2021-03-26 23:47:11 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Learned it when I was just today years old!
Somewhat reminds me of:

Futurama, S01E04
Stefan Ram
2021-05-02 00:32:42 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
|The planet is supposed to collapse in approximately two hours ago.
Futurama, S01E04
|I'm supposed to meet Linda in... five minutes ago.
Stottlemeyer in "Monk", season 6, episode 4

The difference is that Stottlemeyer interrupts his sentence,
thinks, and then, apparently speaks with the intention to
replace "in" by "five minutes ago". In Futurama, "two hours
ago" is not intended to replace anything, but to specify the
time supposed left until the collapse will happen.

Dingbat
2021-03-22 20:45:24 UTC
Post by Chrysi Cat
Post by Dingbat
Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
Errors and airs are essentially both [ɛɚz].
You're both way out of your field this time.
She WAS saying "just TODAY years old".
For the proof, just search Twitter for how often the phrase pops up.
Thank you so much. I found it by a web search. That's what it sounded like but it didn't make sense; I hadn't encountered the usage.
years old" statement.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-03-20 13:53:58 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Inscrutable Black English!
I was just a day years old, or
I was just today years old.
She might be saying I was justa eight years old
Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
I was able to comprehend it unlike the other part.
A link would have allowed us to probably answer the questions.

Whatever SAP's bots may be.
Peter Moylan
2021-03-21 00:06:16 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Inscrutable Black English!
I was just a day years old, or
I was just today years old.
She might be saying I was justa eight years old
Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
I was able to comprehend it unlike the other part.
A link would have allowed us to probably answer the questions.
Whatever SAP's bots may be.
I looked it up. Apparently SAP is a company that sells robots.
2021-03-21 00:25:18 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Inscrutable Black English!
I was just a day years old, or
I was just today years old.
She might be saying I was justa eight years old
Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
I was able to comprehend it unlike the other part.
A link would have allowed us to probably answer the questions.
Whatever SAP's bots may be.
I looked it up. Apparently SAP is a company that sells robots.
Did you?

SAP being Germany's largest IT company, and a partner of the company I
work at, I know about their core business. I didn't know they also sell
a system for making software bots - which are not called robots.
--
Quinn: I'm not very good at talking to boys.
Zoey: It's easy! It's just like talking to girls, but you got to
-- Zoey 101, Quinn's Date
Dingbat
2021-03-21 16:17:35 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Inscrutable Black English!
I was just a day years old, or
I was just today years old.
She might be saying I was justa eight years old
Also, her Errors sounded to me like Airs.
I was able to comprehend it unlike the other part.
A link would have allowed us to probably answer the questions.
Whatever SAP's bots may be.
The ad is a pop up in a Scrabble game. A search didn't find the same ad on a web page, so I have no link to give.
On reflection, she could be saying "I was just at [eI] years old." Is there a particle "at" in Black English in this context?
If it's [eI?], then I don't discern the glottal stop like others might.