On the subject of unnecessary syllables...
2019-11-01 13:53:03 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly) newspaper;
a new one to me.
I disbelieve you.
Paul Carmichael
2019-11-01 14:06:30 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly) newspaper;
a new one to me.
I disbelieve you.
My wife just used a sentence with "discluded" (for excluded). I shouted at her.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es
j***@mdfs.net
2019-11-10 20:55:04 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
My wife just used a sentence with "discluded" (for excluded). I shouted at her.
And so you should, as it's "unincluded". ;)
https://americandad.fandom.com/wiki/The_Unincludeds

jgh
HVS
2019-11-10 21:35:25 UTC
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Post by Paul Carmichael
My wife just used a sentence with "discluded" (for excluded). I
shouted
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Post by Paul Carmichael
at her.
And so you should, as it's "unincluded". ;)
https://americandad.fandom.com/wiki/The_Unincludeds
But "disinvited" fills a gap that isn't covered by "uninvited".

Cheers, Harvey
RH Draney
I'm both disinterested and uninterested in continuing this line....r
Lewis
2019-11-11 01:40:29 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Post by Paul Carmichael
My wife just used a sentence with "discluded" (for excluded). I
shouted
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Post by Paul Carmichael
at her.
And so you should, as it's "unincluded". ;)
https://americandad.fandom.com/wiki/The_Unincludeds
But "disinvited" fills a gap that isn't covered by "uninvited".
Yes it does, and we've done this before and the battle lines were drawn
between us and them.
--
'It's vital to remember who you really are. It's very important. It
isn't a good idea to rely on other people or things to do it for you,
you see. They always get it wrong.' --Sourcery
CDB
2019-11-11 13:09:32 UTC
Post by j***@mdfs.net
Post by Paul Carmichael
My wife just used a sentence with "discluded" (for excluded). I shouted at her.
Did she shout back?
Post by j***@mdfs.net
And so you should, as it's "unincluded". ;)
https://americandad.fandom.com/wiki/The_Unincludeds
Or its cousin once removed, "disclosed".

Katy Jennison
2019-11-01 17:03:32 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly) newspaper;
a new one to me.
I rather like it. I suspect it of a smidgen of a shade of a nuance of
difference from 'disbelief', but I haven't quite managed to put my
finger on what it is. Possibly an ongoing state.
2019-11-01 19:01:08 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly)
newspaper; a new one to me.
I rather like it.  I suspect it of a smidgen of a shade of a nuance of
difference from 'disbelief', but I haven't quite managed to put my
finger on what it is.  Possibly an ongoing state.
Perhaps making a conscious decision to reject something - like rejecting
any mention of Homo Erectus because that implies there could be anything
to this evolution nonsense.
2019-11-01 17:25:25 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly)
newspaper; a new one to me.
Cheers, Harvey
New to me, too.

It's not in the OED either.

Often unusual words or constructions appear in quotations even if they
aren't defined. In this case an OED search returns:

‘disbelievement’ in:

» Phrases (0)
» Definitions (0)
» Etymologies (0)
» Quotations (0)
» Full Text (0)

The same for ‘believement’.

Just in case those catch on I propose:

‘(dis)believementation' for 'the creation of '(dis)believement'.
2019-11-01 18:11:57 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly)
newspaper; a new one to me.
New to me, too.
It's not in the OED either.
Often unusual words or constructions appear in quotations even if they
» Phrases (0)
» Definitions (0)
» Etymologies (0)
» Quotations (0)
» Full Text (0)
The same for ‘believement’.
‘(dis)believementation' for 'the creation of '(dis)believement'.
But "disbelieve" is a perfectly ordinary word! (Also both disbelief
and unbelief -- IIRC the latter appears in a well-known quote from
Augustine, so it must have a pretty obvious Latin equivalent.)
CDB
2019-11-01 19:55:03 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly)
newspaper; a new one to me.
New to me, too.
It's not in the OED either.
Often unusual words or constructions appear in quotations even if
» Full Text (0)
The same for ‘believement’.
‘(dis)believementation' for 'the creation of '(dis)believement'.
But "disbelieve" is a perfectly ordinary word! (Also both disbelief
and unbelief -- IIRC the latter appears in a well-known quote from
Augustine, so it must have a pretty obvious Latin equivalent.)
Dunno from Augustine, but the passage in Mark that comes to mind, "help
thou mine unbelief") has "incredulitas" ("adjuva incredulitatem meam")
in the Vulgate and "apistia" ("βοήθει μου τῇ ἀπιστίᾳ") in the Koine version.
CDB
2019-11-01 19:54:19 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly)
newspaper; a new one to me.
New to me, too.
It's not in the OED either.
Often unusual words or constructions appear in quotations even if
Full Text (0)
The same for ‘believement’.
‘(dis)believementation' for 'the creation of '(dis)believement'.
ITYM "disbelievementization".
Sam Plusnet
2019-11-01 22:08:21 UTC
I've just encountered "disbelievement" in our local (weekly)
newspaper; a new one to me.
New to me, too.
It's not in the OED either.
Often unusual words or constructions appear in quotations even if
Full Text (0)
The same for ‘believement’.
‘(dis)believementation' for 'the creation of '(dis)believement'.
ITYM "disbelievementization".
It would be a shame to miss out disbelivementarianism.

Not forgetting those who oppose the movement.