Silly words (trivial posting)
bruce bowser
2021-05-02 00:28:48 UTC
Some time ago, I saw an adventure game which maintained that 'plinth' is
probably the silliest word in the English language. While I agree that it is
indeed a good word, I've got a few candidates which seem to me even better.
My current favourites among these are probably 'foment' and 'profligate'...
Do anyone have other suggestions?
(Meaning, of course, doesn't enter into this. The point is that the word
should look and/or sound silly.)
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-02 12:51:08 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Some time ago, I saw an adventure game which maintained that 'plinth' is
probably the silliest word in the English language. While I agree that it is
indeed a good word, I've got a few candidates which seem to me even better.
My current favourites among these are probably 'foment' and 'profligate'...
Do anyone have other suggestions?
(Meaning, of course, doesn't enter into this. The point is that the word
should look and/or sound silly.)
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
You are the only person who revives ancient threads and comes back
to talk about them or other things. Could you explain how you come
across them?

!!! PM is in the thread, from 29 years and 4 days ago -- defending the
occurrence of "wombat" in his email address.
bruce bowser
I must be an original.
bruce bowser
2021-05-02 17:06:23 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by bruce bowser
Some time ago, I saw an adventure game which maintained that 'plinth' is
probably the silliest word in the English language. While I agree that it is
indeed a good word, I've got a few candidates which seem to me even better.
My current favourites among these are probably 'foment' and 'profligate'...
Do anyone have other suggestions?
(Meaning, of course, doesn't enter into this. The point is that the word
should look and/or sound silly.)
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
You are the only person who revives ancient threads and comes back
to talk about them or other things. Could you explain how you come
across them?
!!! PM is in the thread, from 29 years and 4 days ago -- defending the
occurrence of "wombat" in his email address.
I must be an original.
No, seriously: I read the archives some and I was surprised that such a word wasn't there, so I thought I'd chime in a little.

You seem almost bothered, you know.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-02 17:44:59 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
Ok. that doesn't help. For a very long time, some people here thought
it was the fault of Google Groups that we would get "drive-by postings"
from gmail users (only) responding to the first message in a decades-
old thread. It doesn't happen any more, so they must have fixed whatever
in gmail caused it to return search results (or something) of that kind.

It's more remarkable that Peter Moylan is apparently the oldest surviving
AUE-user, at nearly 30 years.
Peter Moylan
2021-05-03 00:08:16 UTC
It's more remarkable that Peter Moylan is apparently the oldest
surviving AUE-user, at nearly 30 years.
I've checked through the old articles in the past. Apparently I joined
AUE in 1991, the day after the group was created.

In those days, our news server used to notify all users when a new group
had been created.
2021-05-03 01:10:56 UTC
On Mon, 3 May 2021 11:08:16 +1100, Peter Moylan
It's more remarkable that Peter Moylan is apparently the oldest
surviving AUE-user, at nearly 30 years.
I've checked through the old articles in the past. Apparently I joined
AUE in 1991, the day after the group was created.
In those days, our news server used to notify all users when a new group
had been created.
Right after I joined, I received a welcoming email from Donna Richoux.
(sp?). Soon after that I received an email from Donna suggesting
that I not aggravate Bob Cunningham.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Jerry Friedman
2021-05-03 04:13:15 UTC
On Mon, 3 May 2021 11:08:16 +1100, Peter Moylan
It's more remarkable that Peter Moylan is apparently the oldest
surviving AUE-user, at nearly 30 years.
I've checked through the old articles in the past. Apparently I joined
AUE in 1991, the day after the group was created.
In those days, our news server used to notify all users when a new group
had been created.
Right after I joined, I received a welcoming email from Donna Richoux.
(sp?). Soon after that I received an email from Donna suggesting
that I not aggravate Bob Cunningham.
Did it suggest that you stop aggravating Bob Cunningham?

In any case, it didn't work.
If only someone had suggested that he not xpost to sci.lang ...
Tony Cooper
2021-05-03 13:10:54 UTC
On Sun, 2 May 2021 21:13:15 -0700 (PDT), Jerry Friedman
On Mon, 3 May 2021 11:08:16 +1100, Peter Moylan
It's more remarkable that Peter Moylan is apparently the oldest
surviving AUE-user, at nearly 30 years.
I've checked through the old articles in the past. Apparently I joined
AUE in 1991, the day after the group was created.
In those days, our news server used to notify all users when a new group
had been created.
Right after I joined, I received a welcoming email from Donna Richoux.
(sp?). Soon after that I received an email from Donna suggesting
that I not aggravate Bob Cunningham.
Did it suggest that you stop aggravating Bob Cunningham?
In any case, it didn't work.
Bob was rather easy to aggravate.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
bruce bowser
2021-05-03 12:22:43 UTC
Post by bruce bowser
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by bruce bowser
[...]
I'm sure that a few are still around, its just that they're warned or scared off by current or ex-employers to keep using real names, etc...