"meanwhile," "on the other hand," and "nevertheless"
Yurui Liu
2019-10-30 15:56:22 UTC
Hi,

In the following passage, could "however" be replaced by "meanwhile,"
"on the other hand," and "nevertheless"? If so, is there any difference?

We have to remember that adolescents are often brittle! They will probably
not be inspired by mere curiosity, and teacher approval is no longer of
vital importance. Indeed, the teacher may not be the leader, but rather the potential enemy. Peer approval will, however, be important.
b***@aol.com
2019-10-30 16:43:27 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
In the following passage, could "however" be replaced by "meanwhile,"
"on the other hand," and "nevertheless"? If so, is there any difference?
We have to remember that adolescents are often brittle! They will probably
not be inspired by mere curiosity, and teacher approval is no longer of
vital importance. Indeed, the teacher may not be the leader, but rather the potential enemy. Peer approval will, however, be important.
"Meanwhile" wouldn't fit at all. "However" and "nevertheless" typically
express concession, but are often used to mark opposition. "On the other
hand" or "by/in contrast" are better fits, as they only express opposition,
which is what this sentence is specifically about.
Horace LaBadie
2019-10-30 16:57:21 UTC
Post by Yurui Liu
Hi,
In the following passage, could "however" be replaced by "meanwhile,"
"on the other hand," and "nevertheless"? If so, is there any difference?
We have to remember that adolescents are often brittle! They will probably
not be inspired by mere curiosity, and teacher approval is no longer of
vital importance. Indeed, the teacher may not be the leader, but rather the
potential enemy. Peer approval will, however, be important.
Only "on the other hand" would be correct. It's a statement of contrast.

Also, the word "brittle" seems totally unrelated to the rest of the
paragraph.
Jack