with an elderly relative in Los Angeles/ambiguity question
Add Reply
arthurvv vart
2021-04-28 22:13:44 UTC
1) Any person with an elderly relative in Los Angeles should know about this program.
2) Any person who has an elderly relative in Los Angeles should know about this program.

3) Any person with an elderly relative living in Los Angeles should know about this program.
4) Any person who has an elderly relative living in Los Angeles should know about this program.

I think the logical interpretation is that the elderly relative is in Los Angeles and "the person" might or might not be. One possibility is of course that they are both in Los Angeles. But form a strictly grammatical point of view, is it possible that the person is in LA and the relative is not?

Consider:
1a) An person with an ulcer in LA
2a) Any person who has an ulcer in LA

3a) Any person who has an ulcer living in LA
4a) Any person with an ulcer living in LA

I think '2a' doesn't really have that meaning. It means anyone who gets an ulcer in LA

Gratefully,
Navi
Stefan Ram
2021-04-28 22:47:01 UTC
I will rather comment on this example:

Any person who has a car living in LA

. A postponed -ing specification is tied to that which is
immediately preceding. But since a "car" cannot live, the
sentence is wrong.
Peter Moylan
2021-04-29 01:11:04 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Any person who has a car living in LA
. A postponed -ing specification is tied to that which is
immediately preceding. But since a "car" cannot live, the
sentence is wrong.
Wasn't "My mother the car" set in LA?
2021-04-29 03:07:38 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Any person who has a car living in LA
A postponed -ing specification is tied to that which is
immediately preceding. But since a "car" cannot live, the
sentence is wrong.
Wrong.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "1. Buy 64 more buses."
***@vex.net --Michael Wares
arthurvv vart
2021-04-29 03:38:39 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Any person who has a car living in LA
A postponed -ing specification is tied to that which is
immediately preceding. But since a "car" cannot live, the
sentence is wrong.
Wrong.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "1. Buy 64 more buses."
Thank you all very much,

With 'has a car' it seems to work, but when I hear 'has a relative living in LA' or 'with an elderly relative in LA' I immediately think the relative is in LA. The ulcer examples seem to work, but '2a' means something else. When logic rules out on interpretation then things seem OK.

At least that's the way I feel about it. I am not a native speaker and am pretty confused as usual.

Gratefully,
Navi
CDB
2021-04-29 17:46:35 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Any person who has a car living in LA
. A postponed -ing specification is tied to that which is immediately
preceding. But since a "car" cannot live, the sentence is wrong.
IMO it would be acceptable with a comma after "car".

s***@my-deja.com
2021-04-29 15:57:42 UTC
Post by arthurvv vart
[...]
In reality a sentence of such complexity could not be delivered in isolation.
Context would need to be given. Such context would eliminate the ambiguity.