Important notice for users of Google Groups
Add Reply
Anton Shepelev
2021-01-30 21:07:57 UTC
Hello, all

The corporation of evil continues its crusade
against all good things, including free social me-
dia. It has started banning Usenet groups wholesale
due to the presence of SPAM and other illegal con-
tent. This, of course, is contrary to the very phi-
losophy of Usenet, where each individual decides
what posts and posters to ignore, by adding them to
the proverbial kill-file. Together with the bans,
the huge Usenet archive, owned by Google, is now in
danger. I thought that all I write on Usenet was
there to stay, but no longer. I will be archiving
interesting Usenet posts.

The sensible thing for Google to do would be to ban
individual spammers, based on the numerous (and ap-
paprently ignored) illegal-content reports submitted
though their web-interface or to their (appearently
unchecked) e-mail for complaints. It is a shame they
should employ their superb AI-systems for marketing
purposes instead of detecting SPAM, that it may be
removed like a tumor. But Google prefer to kill the
patient.

Users of Google groups are hereby encouraged to in-
stall a free newsreader and set it up to connect to
Usenet via a free Usenet provider. Free newsreaders
are many and easily findable for all OSes, including
iOS and Android, so I will only mention guidelines
for selecting a quality newsreader:

The Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160417105503/http://www.gnksa.org/gnksa.txt

Whereas free servers are somewhat fewer, and I will
mention two of them:

https://www.aioe.org/ (anonymous)
http://www.eternal-september.org/ (with authentification)

For help with installing and configuring a newsread-
er, post to news.software.readers .

See also:

Historical programming-language groups disappearing from Google:
https://lwn.net/Articles/827233/

Some Usenet groups suspended in Goggle Groups:
https://support.google.com/groups/thread/61391913?hl=en
/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]
Anton Shepelev
2021-01-30 21:18:23 UTC
Together with the bans, the huge Usenet archive,
owned by Google, is now in danger.
A Usenet archive:

https://www.usenetarchives.com/
/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]
Paul Carmichael
2021-01-31 10:07:21 UTC
Post by Anton Shepelev
Hello, all
The corporation of evil continues its crusade
against all good things, including free social me-
dia. It has started banning Usenet groups wholesale
due to the presence of SPAM and other illegal con-
tent. This, of course, is contrary to the very phi-
losophy of Usenet, where each individual decides
what posts and posters to ignore, by adding them to
the proverbial kill-file. Together with the bans,
the huge Usenet archive, owned by Google, is now in
danger. I thought that all I write on Usenet was
there to stay, but no longer. I will be archiving
interesting Usenet posts.
More usenet servers with monstrous amouts of storage would help.

Now that we all have fast fibre, we could all set one up. DNS might be a problem, so we
would all need to get fixed IPs. I actually already have one.

As soon as I get a round tuit, I'll look into it.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Anton Shepelev
2021-01-31 12:28:40 UTC
Together with the bans, the huge Usenet archive,
owned by Google, is now in danger. I thought
that all I write on Usenet was there to stay,
but no longer. I will be archiving interesting
Usenet posts.
More usenet servers with monstrous amouts of stor-
age would help.
Not so monstrous, since text is both compact and
very compressible.
Now that we all have fast fibre, we could all set
one up.
I have always been behind the times on technology.
Everytime I joined an IRC channel in 2000s people
would welcome me with hues and cries about "dial-up
from Russia". I had to wait until it abaited to be
able to talk.
DNS might be a problem, so we would all need to
get fixed IPs. I actually already have one.
Do you propose that everybody should deploy and run
a server or a kind of distributed Usenet archive?
As soon as I get a round tuit, I'll look into it.
The thing without corners is sure making rounds. I
first heard of it from a developer of the DOSBox
Staging project about a year ago, and used the term
myself about a week ago in a C newsgroup, where a
user and contributor of MinGW seemed to like it.
Were you there without a mask?
/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]
Paul Carmichael
2021-01-31 13:12:17 UTC
Post by Anton Shepelev
[...]
The round tuit has been around for as long as I can remember. Either from the UK
motorcycle group or maybe even from the shed (haven't been there for a long time).
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-01-31 15:53:20 UTC
On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 13:12:17 GMT, Paul Carmichael
Post by Paul Carmichael
Post by Anton Shepelev
[...]
Tourist gimmick in the 60's? yes:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/round_tuit
(1964 World's Fair)
AnthonyL
2021-02-01 12:16:52 UTC
On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 14:12:17 +0100, Paul Carmichael
Post by Anton Shepelev
=20
[...]
the UK=20
motorcycle group or maybe even from the shed (haven't been there for a lo=
ng time).
Wasn't it common to send apprentices to the stores to get some Round
Tuits and a jar of Elbow Grease? They often would have to ask for a
Long Stand as well.
--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
charles
2021-02-01 12:24:49 UTC
Post by AnthonyL
On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 14:12:17 +0100, Paul Carmichael
Post by Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael to Anton Shepelev: =20
Together with the bans, the huge Usenet archive, owned by Google, is
now in danger. I thought that all I write on Usenet was there
to stay, but no longer. I will be archiving interesting Usenet
posts.
More usenet servers with monstrous amouts of stor- age would help.
=20 Not so monstrous, since text is both compact and very
compressible. =20
Now that we all have fast fibre, we could all set one up.
=20 I have always been behind the times on technology. Everytime I
joined an IRC channel in 2000s people would welcome me with hues and
cries about "dial-up from Russia". I had to wait until it abaited to
be able to talk. =20
DNS might be a problem, so we would all need to get fixed IPs. I
actually already have one.
=20 Do you propose that everybody should deploy and run a server or a
kind of distributed Usenet archive? =20
As soon as I get a round tuit, I'll look into it.
=20 The thing without corners is sure making rounds. I first heard
of it from a developer of the DOSBox Staging project about a year
ago, and used the term myself about a week ago in a C newsgroup,
where a user and contributor of MinGW seemed to like it. Were you
there without a mask? =20
The round tuit has been around for as long as I can remember. Either
from= the UK=20 motorcycle group or maybe even from the shed (haven't
been there for a lo= ng time).
Wasn't it common to send apprentices to the stores to get some Round
Tuits and a jar of Elbow Grease? They often would have to ask for a Long
Stand as well.
Striped paint
Paul Carmichael
2021-02-01 12:43:53 UTC
[...]

[...]