Boris Johnson's Turkish ancestry
2020-01-06 17:40:23 UTC
Lots of interesting English usage in this TV documentary on Boris
Johnson's Turkish ancestry.

His great-grandfather memorised the entire Quran in Arabic.
As do many devout Muslims. That is one the main purposes of Madrasas.

As regards Boris' ancestry, I hope you did not stop at his
great-grandfather. Go further back and you will find he was the bastard
descendant of one of your kings (George II). As the saying goes, once a
bastard...
Peter T. Daniels
2020-01-06 18:20:33 UTC
Lots of interesting English usage in this TV documentary on Boris
Johnson's Turkish ancestry.
http://youtu.be/jcK63Zqry5Q
His great-grandfather memorised the entire Quran in Arabic.
Someone who does that is called a Hafiz.

I have often wondered whether Assad I was one, or that was just his name.
a***@gmail.com
2020-01-06 20:49:23 UTC
Lots of interesting English usage in this TV documentary on Boris
Johnson's Turkish ancestry.
http://youtu.be/jcK63Zqry5Q
His great-grandfather memorised the entire Quran in Arabic.
Someone who does that is called a Hafiz.
I have often wondered whether Assad I was one, or that was just his name.
He was probably named Hafiz when he was born. I think Hafiz could also mean
guard or guardian. In Persian it does have that meaning and the one you mention
is not its primary meaning. The Persian poet who took the penname 'Hafez' did so
because he had learned the Coran by heart. (In Persian it is pronounced HafEz).

Respectfully,
Navi
Yusuf B Gursey

Spains Harden
2020-01-06 21:01:15 UTC
Lots of interesting English usage in this TV documentary on Boris
Johnson's Turkish ancestry.
http://youtu.be/jcK63Zqry5Q
His great-grandfather memorised the entire Quran in Arabic.
As do many devout Muslims. That is one the main purposes of Madrasas.
As regards Boris' ancestry, I hope you did not stop at his
great-grandfather. Go further back and you will find he was the bastard
descendant of one of your kings (George II). As the saying goes, once a
bastard...
"William the Conqueror" was previously "William the Bastard.

When William fell face-down during the rough landing on British shores,
he had a very feisty explanation :)