Delhi's water crisis leads to mafia, murder and mutiny (headline)
2020-02-14 05:56:35 UTC
Delhi's water crisis leads to mafia, murder and mutiny (headline)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/delhi-water-crisis-leads-to-mafia-murder-and-mutiny/11931208

I say: Outside Headlinese, Mafia is not an abstract noun but
I don't know what abstract noun to change it to; I haven't seen
any use of possible candidates such as mafiadom and mafiaship.
Dingbat
On reflection, I'd change it to racketeering.
Sam Plusnet
2020-02-14 20:47:29 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Delhi's water crisis leads to mafia, murder and mutiny (headline)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/delhi-water-crisis-leads-to-mafia-murder-and-mutiny/11931208
I say: Outside Headlinese, Mafia is not an abstract noun but
I don't know what abstract noun to change it to; I haven't seen
any use of possible candidates such as mafiadom and mafiaship.
On reflection, I'd change it to racketeering.
I was more interested in the use of "mutiny".
Does it say which armed services were involved?
2020-02-15 06:19:18 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Delhi's water crisis leads to mafia, murder and mutiny (headline)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/delhi-water-crisis-leads-to-mafia-murder-and-mutiny/11931208
I say: Outside Headlinese, Mafia is not an abstract noun but
I don't know what abstract noun to change it to; I haven't seen
any use of possible candidates such as mafiadom and mafiaship.
On reflection, I'd change it to racketeering.
I was more interested in the use of "mutiny".
Does it say which armed services were involved?
That use is revolting if you'll pardon the pun; make it revolt.

Per vocabulary.com, mutiny comes from mutine meaning just revolt,
not yet having gained the sense of revolt by subordinates.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/mutiny

Be that as it may, mutiny hasn't entirely lost the sense of revolt
by the public against their government as per these dictionaries:

An example of mutiny is the French Revolution where the French people revolted ...
https://www.yourdictionary.com/mutiny

mutiny is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as
An open rebellion against the proper authorities
https://www.lexico.com/definition/mutiny
Peter T. Daniels
2020-02-15 15:25:17 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Per vocabulary.com, mutiny comes from mutine meaning just revolt,
not yet having gained the sense of revolt by subordinates.
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/mutiny
Be that as it may, mutiny hasn't entirely lost the sense of revolt
An example of mutiny is the French Revolution where the French people revolted ...
https://www.yourdictionary.com/mutiny
That doesn't sound right at all.
Post by Dingbat
mutiny is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as
An open rebellion against the proper authorities
https://www.lexico.com/definition/mutiny
In actual use, it is used almost exclusively of shipboard rebellion.

Compare "revolt," for instance.
Peter Young
2020-02-15 15:32:58 UTC
Post by Dingbat
mutiny is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as
An open rebellion against the proper authorities
https://www.lexico.com/definition/mutiny
In actual use, it is used almost exclusively of shipboard rebellion.
Almost indeed. The Indian Mutiny? To me it is military rather than
seafaring usage.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Hg)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
charles
2020-02-15 17:05:35 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Dingbat
mutiny is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as
An open rebellion against the proper authorities
https://www.lexico.com/definition/mutiny
In actual use, it is used almost exclusively of shipboard rebellion.
Almost indeed. The Indian Mutiny? To me it is military rather than
seafaring usage.
Mutiny on the Bounty?
2020-02-15 20:34:03 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Dingbat
mutiny is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as
An open rebellion against the proper authorities
https://www.lexico.com/definition/mutiny
In actual use, it is used almost exclusively of shipboard rebellion.
Almost indeed. The Indian Mutiny? To me it is military rather than
seafaring usage.
I would agree with "military" - but my definition of that word includes
all of the armed services[1].

[1] In countries where the police are routinely armed, do people include
the (various) police forces within their definition of "Armed Services"?
Peter Young
2020-02-15 20:43:47 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Dingbat
mutiny is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as
An open rebellion against the proper authorities
https://www.lexico.com/definition/mutiny
In actual use, it is used almost exclusively of shipboard rebellion.
Almost indeed. The Indian Mutiny? To me it is military rather than
seafaring usage.
I would agree with "military" - but my definition of that word includes
all of the armed services[1].
For me too.
Post by Sam Plusnet
[1] In countries where the police are routinely armed, do people include
the (various) police forces within their definition of "Armed Services"?
Not here, anyway.

Dingbat
2020-02-14 06:20:18 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Delhi's water crisis leads to mafia, murder and mutiny (headline)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/delhi-water-crisis-leads-to-mafia-murder-and-mutiny/11931208
I say: Outside Headlinese, Mafia is not an abstract noun but
I don't know what abstract noun to change it to; I haven't seen
any use of possible candidates such as mafiadom and mafiaship.
Hmm, I got the headline from the subject line of a posting to
soc.culture.indian. The original headline in the newspaper was
different and better.
Arindam Banerjee
Headliner-wallah seems to have read English history. Gunpowder, treason and plot.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2020-02-14 16:55:31 UTC
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 22:20:18 -0800 (PST), Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Delhi's water crisis leads to mafia, murder and mutiny (headline)
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-08/delhi-water-crisis-leads-to-mafia-murder-and-mutiny/11931208
I say: Outside Headlinese, Mafia is not an abstract noun but
I don't know what abstract noun to change it to; I haven't seen
any use of possible candidates such as mafiadom and mafiaship.
Hmm, I got the headline from the subject line of a posting to
soc.culture.indian. The original headline in the newspaper was
different and better.
It seems likely that the headline you saw in soc.culture.indian was the
original in the newspaper article.
The url includes the words:
delhi-water-crisis-leads-to-mafia-murder-and-mutiny

But the headline is now:
Delhi is facing a water crisis. Ahead of day zero, the city's
residents have turned to the mafia and murder.

The article says:
The Delhi government has in recent years tried to supply water to
unauthorised colonies by drilling water bores, but this is a
short-term solution that exacerbates a bigger problem.

-> Elsewhere, private enterprises — known locally as the "water mafia"
— have been able to profit from the despair by building their own
bores.