Numbers for PTD boink please
2018-07-04 07:07:07 UTC
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.

(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
2018-07-04 07:08:32 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
2018-07-04 07:32:11 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
2018-07-04 08:56:40 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check the trains - the main Oxford station is closed for a
couple of weeks. Ox
2018-07-04 08:58:16 UTC
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
2018-07-04 12:18:19 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
It seems I get to take the bus from Heathrow to Oxford on Sunday morning (I
will be met). How long is that ride?

And then from Oxford to Brighton "early" Wednesday morning (or might that be
a train).
Jerry Friedman
2018-07-04 13:00:31 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?

My MC worked fine in England.
2018-07-04 13:36:55 UTC
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 07:00:31 -0600, Jerry Friedman
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?
My MC worked fine in England.
The credit card companies advise cardholders to notify the credit card
company before traveling out of the US if the card is to be used. A
regular Visa or Mastercard is usually accepted, but may be rejected if
the company hasn't been notified in advance. It's not that the card
is invalid, but that some sort of possible fraud is caught by an
algorithm.

A simple phone call to the number on the back of the card will reveal
all, or is that another area of "too difficult research"?

I had to laugh when reading "If paying is involved". If? Local
attendees may have to do a whip-round if it is anticipated that
foreign guests eat free.
2018-07-04 14:26:34 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
PTD is clearly an esteemed guest of honour, and will not have to put his
hand in his pocket. </typical PTD conclusion-jump>
2018-07-04 15:30:11 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
Hey Shithead, if you're not attending, keep your trap and your lying
fingers shut.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-07-04 15:28:21 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
[...]
The only whipping needs to be of you.

It's very impressive that you're familiar with the policies of the
establishment that Katy has proposed: your certainty as to which cards,
if any, they might accept. Does that go back to your visit 50 years ago
in your sandals-with-black-socks?
charles
2018-07-04 17:38:57 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the
M25 + Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there
to the centre of Oxford.
It seems I get to take the bus from Heathrow to Oxford on Sunday morning
(I will be met). How long is that ride?
supposedly 90 minutes
Post by Peter T. Daniels
And then from Oxford to Brighton "early" Wednesday morning (or might that
be a train).
Train might be best; Oxford > Reading > Gatwick > Brighton. This avoids
travelling through London.
2018-07-04 18:26:25 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
If paying is involved, will cash be needed? Do foreign Visa or MasterCard
work?
No, yes. (That earlier sentence should of course read Tuesday -- I
apologise if anyone was misled.)
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the M25 +
Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
It seems I get to take the bus from Heathrow to Oxford on Sunday morning (I
will be met). How long is that ride?
Depends on the time and day; Sunday morning probably not much more than
an hour and a half.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
And then from Oxford to Brighton "early" Wednesday morning (or might that be
a train).
Could be either, but in either case it means going via London. The
train would leave from Oxford Parkway, whither you'd need to get a bus
form central Oxford.
2018-07-04 17:30:48 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by charles
Post by Katy Jennison
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Oops, make that TUESDAY 17 July.
In which case - yes. count me in. I'll come by train, easier than the
M25 + Park & Ride.
Good! But check trains: the main Oxford station is closed for two
weeks, although Oxford Parkway is open and there are buses from there to
the centre of Oxford.
Thanks for that.

I have checked and there are some trains running from Reading to Oxford;
buses (from Didcot) are only replacing this service for one train an hour,
leaving 2 per hour as rail.
2018-07-04 07:24:33 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Katy

do you mean Wednesday 18th or Tuesday 17th? If the latter, I can come, but
I am not free for the former.

Charles
Paul Wolff
2018-07-04 14:12:02 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at 1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
I can't say yet. It's in my diary, but there's also a challenging
two-day tournament near Salisbury that I really want to play in.
However, I've been given a hard stare and told I can't spare the time
from work for yet more croquet, so maybe a few hours in Oxford will be
an acceptable compromise. We'll see.
Paul
Richard Tobin
2018-07-04 14:13:29 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming? We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
I won't be able to make it down to Oxford.

-- Richard
the Omrud
2018-07-04 16:45:42 UTC
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.

As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home Counties
traffic. That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
David
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-07-04 17:14:27 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from Weston
Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to book the
restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.
As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home Counties
traffic. That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
I hope we're going to be seeing some photos of this historic event --
the boink, I mean, not your late arrival.

Maybe a video of part of the lecture.
the Omrud
2018-07-04 21:52:34 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Katy Jennison
Lunch, probably at 2pm, probably at Quod (walking distance from
Weston Library), on Wednesday 17 July: who's coming?  We ought to
book the restaurant this week.
(To recap: his talk is at  1.00, tickets (free) obtainable via the
Bodleian website.)
Yes, presumably you already have me on the guest list.
As reported elsewhere, I may be a little late for the lecture because
the last stage of the rail journey is actually to be accomplished by
means of a bus, which will have to negotiate the dreadful Home
Counties traffic.  That'll be me sneaking in at the back.
I hope we're going to be seeing some photos of this historic event --
the boink, I mean, not your late arrival.
Maybe a video of part of the lecture.
Photos, I'm sure. I suppose we should ask about filming in the hallowed
halls.
--
David