"Ten rounds with .... Mike Tyson"
Pamela
2019-01-15 14:51:20 UTC
There was a time when you would refer to being very worn out by saying it
was like "10 rounds with Mike Tyson".

Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".

To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead of
Tyson?
Tony Cooper
2019-01-15 15:06:09 UTC
Post by Pamela
There was a time when you would refer to being very worn out by saying it
was like "10 rounds with Mike Tyson".
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead of
Tyson?
Depends on the age of the other person. Boxing, in the US, is not a
sport that is particularly popular. Yes, there are boxing fans, and
some boxing is available on TV, but the "sport" doesn't have the
following it used to have in the days of the Gillette Friday Night
Fights.

Pressed to name a famous boxer in recent years, Mike Tyson and
Mohammed Ali are the only two that I can think of. Those two had
reputations for more than being boxers. Tyson for his ear-biting and
Ali for much more. Maybe George Foreman, but he may be better known
for his business ventures and the naming of his children.

I'd stick with Mike Tyson for your example.
2019-01-15 16:59:23 UTC
Post by Pamela
There was a time when you would refer to being very worn out by saying it
was like "10 rounds with Mike Tyson".
ObAUE: an odd phrase indeed, as after getting KOed in the first 5 seconds
of the fight, one would have had plenty of time to relax.
bill van
2019-01-15 20:24:18 UTC
Post by Pamela
[...]
For mainstream NA English, I think it's the expression that is very
worn out; there
is very little boxing material in the language as spoken today. That's mainly
because as you say, boxing has fallen out of the mainstream. I couldn't name
any of the top 10 heavyweights of today, and there was a time when nearly
everyone could name at least the world champion and one or two contenders.

I have a vague notion that the champion now is probably a very tall Russian,
but that might have changed since the last time I looked.

That said, both Ali and Tyson, especially the latter, were known for early
knock-outs, not exhausting 10-rounders. And I don't recall an expression
such as "I feel like I've gone 10 rounds with (Joe Boxer)" being all
that common.

Finally, it strikes me now that I don't recall "Pamela Poster" being with us
before this thread, and I'm wondering if we have one of our nym-shifting
regulars involving us in one of unfocused discussions.

Just a bit. It's a very tall black Englishman!
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-01-15 23:37:11 UTC
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 13:57:51 -0800 (PST), Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by bill van
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Pamela
[...]
Russia, England.. what's the difference? They are in almost the same
direction if you stand in the right place a good distance away.
Tak To
2019-01-17 00:11:05 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Pamela
[...]
Anthony Joshua, who did recently defeat a Russian called
Alexander Povetkin.

Note that there are (at least) 4 major world organizations for
boxing: WBA, WBO, WBC, and IBF. Anthony Joshua is the champion
for WBO and IBF. He is also the champion for IBO, a "minor"
organization compared to the other four.

For WBC the current champion is Deontay Wilder.

WBA is a little bit different in that it gives out multiple
champion titles in a weight class. There are currently 3 heavy
weight champions: Anthony Joshua, Manuel Charr, and Trevor Bryan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Boxing_Association
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Boxing_Organization
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Boxing_Council
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Boxing_Federation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Boxing_Organization
--
Tak
Tak To ***@alum.mit.eduxx
[taode takto ~{LU5B~}] NB: trim the xx to get my real email addr
Pamela
2019-01-15 23:49:24 UTC
Post by bill van
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Pamela
[...]
There's also the Irishman. But which do I choose to get my point over?
Of course it depends on the audience (a middle aged professional, in my
case). Tyson and Ali feel outdated.

Maybe I should use a movie star and refer to going 10 rounds with Rambo
(or the Incredible Hulk) but that doesn't have the same feel to it.
Post by bill van
That said, both Ali and Tyson, especially the latter, were known for
early knock-outs, not exhausting 10-rounders. And I don't recall an
expression such as "I feel like I've gone 10 rounds with (Joe Boxer)"
being all that common.
Finally, it strikes me now that I don't recall "Pamela Poster" being
with us before this thread, and I'm wondering if we have one of our
nym-shifting regulars involving us in one of unfocused discussions.
I drop in from time to time. Here are a couple of posts.
Post by Pamela
Post by bill van
Post by Tony Cooper
Post by Pamela
[...]
There's always "ten rounds with the world heavyweight champ".

(I first wrote "word heavyweight champ", which is on topic.)
Post by Pamela
Maybe I should use a movie star and refer to going 10 rounds with Rambo
(or the Incredible Hulk) but that doesn't have the same feel to it.

"As if I just had a hard day at boot camp"?
2019-01-15 16:41:27 UTC
Post by Pamela
There was a time when you would refer to being very worn out by
saying it was like "10 rounds with Mike Tyson".
What if just your ear hurts?
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.

Manny Paquiao.

Donald Trump.
Pamela
2019-01-15 23:50:27 UTC
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
bill van
2019-01-16 04:21:19 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
I've heard of Paquiao. I believe he's in one of the lighter weight classes,
which tend to feature more action-packed matches than the ponderous heavies.

2019-01-16 09:07:24 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
2019-01-16 09:12:53 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Perhaps a Rottweiler?

I have always been glad we weren't killed that night. I do not know
any particular reason, but I have always been glad.
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain
John Varela
2019-01-16 16:32:22 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Perhaps a Rottweiler?
A son of a bitch either way.
John Varela
Athel Cornish-Bowden
RHDraney
True...his hands are too small....r
CDB
2019-01-16 14:51:07 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used
instead of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey. Manny Paquiao. Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the
name recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
I think the field has broadened. The OP has suggested "Rambo" as a
candidate; although perhaps the intention was to name "Rocky".
Peter Moylan
2019-01-17 02:16:20 UTC
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
I think the field has broadened. The OP has suggested "Rambo" as a
candidate; although perhaps the intention was to name "Rocky".
Rocky Raccoon would probably be a better boxer than Rimbaud.
2019-01-16 21:23:06 UTC
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
2019-01-17 07:34:45 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
Did he unbox the hamberders himself?
2019-01-17 15:02:29 UTC
Athel Cornish-Bowden suggested that ...
Post by Pamela
Post by Pamela
Before Tyson, you may have said "10 rounds with Mohammed Ali".
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
Did he unbox the hamberders himself?
Perhaps a sample number of them.

/dps "attention span"
--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html>
Peter T. Daniels
2019-01-17 16:58:57 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by CDB
Post by Pamela
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
Did he unbox the hamberders himself?
No. The glamour photo of him standing beaming with arms in a blessing
pose in front of the table of incredibly neatly arranged tessellations
and piles of boxes should be readily available to you.

Unless "hamberder" was intended to refer to everything on offer, rather
than "hamburgers" (covfefe), it wouldn't be boxes but paper wrappers.
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-17 18:59:24 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by CDB
Post by Pamela
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
Did he unbox the hamberders himself?
No. The glamour photo of him standing beaming with arms in a blessing
pose in front of the table of incredibly neatly arranged tessellations
and piles of boxes should be readily available to you.
By the time El Presidente had finished his photo-op with all that 'food'
it would all have been inedible - but then providing food for his guests
was never the point of the exercise.
2019-01-17 22:39:03 UTC
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 08:58:57 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Pamela
Post by CDB
Post by Pamela
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
Did he unbox the hamberders himself?
No. The glamour photo of him standing beaming with arms in a blessing
pose in front of the table of incredibly neatly arranged tessellations
and piles of boxes should be readily available to you.
At least Trump didn't throw the meals in the way that he threw paper
towels in Puerto Rico in Oct 2017 following Hurricane Maria.
2019-01-17 22:59:00 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by CDB
Post by Pamela
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
Did he unbox the hamberders himself?
No. The glamour photo of him standing beaming with arms in a blessing
pose in front of the table of incredibly neatly arranged tessellations
and piles of boxes should be readily available to you.
At least Trump didn't throw the meals in the way that he threw paper
towels in Puerto Rico in Oct 2017 following Hurricane Maria.
http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/files/styles/ratio--3-2--1_5x-768x512/public/trump_papertowls_171004.jpg?itok=Avju8CSA
We don't actually know that ... I didn't see any interviews with the
boys after they escaped his lair. Triangular bruises from box corners
might not be surprising.
Peter T. Daniels
2019-01-17 16:57:43 UTC
Post by CDB
Post by Pamela
To hide how old and crusty I am, which boxer should be used instead
of Tyson?
Ronda Rousey.
Manny Paquiao.
Donald Trump.
I had to look two of those up, so they're not going to have the name
recognition I want.
And the third is not usually thought of as a boxer.
Unboxer.
(McDonalds come in boxes don't they?)
The larger items (QP, specialties, etc.) do. The smaller ones come
wrapped in paper.
CDB