Double parking
Will Parsons
2018-05-05 21:28:26 UTC
What *is* double parking, anyway? And does it differ according to
location?

The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street. This is pretty common
in highly-congested areas, such as in New York City. I have now come
across a different meaning, in which the term refers to parking
overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.

So, I'm interested in what "double parking" means to other people.
Will
b***@shaw.ca
2018-05-05 22:18:31 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
What *is* double parking, anyway? And does it differ according to
location?
The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street. This is pretty common
in highly-congested areas, such as in New York City. I have now come
across a different meaning, in which the term refers to parking
overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
So, I'm interested in what "double parking" means to other people.
I have lived five years or more in each of three Canadian cities. In all
of them, "double parking" meant parking parallel to a legally
parked car. It was the sort of thing people did when there were
no empty spaces nearby and they had a brief errand to run, such
as picking something up from a shop.

I would do it only if I could remain at the wheel while someone
else ran the errand.

I've never heard of the second sense until now.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-05 22:24:41 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Will Parsons
[...]
That would be "standing" rather than parking.
Me either.
Sam Plusnet
2018-05-05 23:41:12 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Will Parsons
[...]
In BrE (IIRC) that would be "waiting" - or, just possibly, "loading or
unloading".

Most of my journeys on roads which are hardly wide enough to permit two
way traffic with one row of parked cars - let alone two.
2018-05-06 02:20:52 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
I would do it only if I could remain at the wheel while someone
else ran the errand.
That would be "standing" rather than parking.
In BrE (IIRC) that would be "waiting" - or, just possibly, "loading or
unloading".
Most of my journeys on roads which are hardly wide enough to permit two
way traffic with one row of parked cars - let alone two.
Based on my slightly less than comprehensive survey of British and Irish
roads, they're all like that except the motorways.
HVS
Same here.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-06 07:35:09 UTC
Post by b***@shaw.ca
Post by Will Parsons
[...]
I do that often, whenever my wife goes to the dry cleaners.
2018-05-05 22:38:19 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street.
That's correct.
Post by Will Parsons
This is pretty common in highly-congested areas...
No, I hardly ever see it.
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.

ObXkcd: 562.
--
Mark Brader "It is considered a sign of great {winnitude}
Toronto when your Obs are more interesting than other
***@vex.net people's whole postings." --Eric Raymond
Tony Cooper
2018-05-05 23:18:03 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.
Equally unacceptable to me is the person who parks at an angle -
taking up two spaces - in a store's parking lot. It's usually someone
with a new car or an expensive car who doesn't want to get dinged by
an opening door of another car.

You can get a ticket in this city for not parking between painted
lines on a street, but tickets aren't issued to people who do this in
a store's parking lot.
2018-05-05 23:42:15 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.
Equally unacceptable to me is the person who parks at an angle -
taking up two spaces - in a store's parking lot. It's usually someone
with a new car or an expensive car who doesn't want to get dinged by
an opening door of another car.
You can get a ticket in this city for not parking between painted
lines on a street, but tickets aren't issued to people who do this in
a store's parking lot.
What happens if your vehicle is too large to fit entirely within the
painted lines?
2018-05-06 00:14:58 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.
Equally unacceptable to me is the person who parks at an angle -
taking up two spaces - in a store's parking lot. It's usually someone
with a new car or an expensive car who doesn't want to get dinged by
an opening door of another car.
You can get a ticket in this city for not parking between painted
lines on a street, but tickets aren't issued to people who do this in
a store's parking lot.
What happens if your vehicle is too large to fit entirely within the
painted lines?
Unless you are driving a semi-truck, that wouldn't happen. The space
between the lines is longer than any automobile or four-wheel truck
because space is allowed to maneuver into the space.
b***@shaw.ca
2018-05-06 01:03:43 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.
Equally unacceptable to me is the person who parks at an angle -
taking up two spaces - in a store's parking lot. It's usually someone
with a new car or an expensive car who doesn't want to get dinged by
an opening door of another car.
You can get a ticket in this city for not parking between painted
lines on a street, but tickets aren't issued to people who do this in
a store's parking lot.
What happens if your vehicle is too large to fit entirely within the
painted lines?
You're driving a Hummer. You should take it to the nearest cliff
and drive over the edge.

2018-05-06 02:22:59 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.
Equally unacceptable to me is the person who parks at an angle -
taking up two spaces - in a store's parking lot.
That's what Will said.
Post by Tony Cooper
It's usually someone
with a new car or an expensive car who doesn't want to get dinged by
an opening door of another car.
You can get a ticket in this city for not parking between painted
lines on a street, but tickets aren't issued to people who do this in
a store's parking lot.
Informal enforcement methods are available to passers-by, I'm told.
2018-05-06 07:43:01 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come across a different meaning, in which the term refers
to parking overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
No, that's so selfish there isn't a term for it.
Equally unacceptable to me is the person who parks at an angle -
taking up two spaces - in a store's parking lot. It's usually someone
with a new car or an expensive car who doesn't want to get dinged by
an opening door of another car.
You can get a ticket in this city for not parking between painted
lines on a street, but tickets aren't issued to people who do this in
a store's parking lot.
Parking places in France tend to be barely wider than a standard car
("barely" meaning about 15 cm of space on each side), so getting in
between the lines either means some manoeuvering or parking so close to
an already parked car that it's difficult to get out. I parked
yesterday at a supermarket in a way you woould find unacceptable. Mind
you, if you arrived in an American car wide enough to seat three adults
in the front you'd find it impossible to get between the lines.
2018-05-05 22:58:56 UTC
On Sat, 5 May 2018 17:28:26 -0400, Will Parsons
Post by Will Parsons
What *is* double parking, anyway? And does it differ according to
location?
The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street. This is pretty common
in highly-congested areas, such as in New York City. I have now come
across a different meaning, in which the term refers to parking
overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
So, I'm interested in what "double parking" means to other people.
To me, it is parking a car on the street-side of already parked cars.
If you double-park, you block the car on the curb-side from leaving
that parking space.

The other thing, not parking within painted lines, will get you a
ticket here, but I don't know of a specific term that describes that.
HVS
"Asshole parking" would work for me.
Horace LaBadie
2018-05-05 23:33:19 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
What *is* double parking, anyway? And does it differ according to
location?
The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street. This is pretty common
in highly-congested areas, such as in New York City.
That's the common term that I know.
Post by Will Parsons
I have now come
across a different meaning, in which the term refers to parking
overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
So, I'm interested in what "double parking" means to other people.
The only term for that malpractice that I have heard consistently is
"hogging," either with or without "space."
Jerry Friedman
2018-05-06 02:25:54 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
What *is* double parking, anyway? And does it differ according to
location?
The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street. This is pretty common
in highly-congested areas, such as in New York City. I have now come
across a different meaning, in which the term refers to parking
overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
So, I'm interested in what "double parking" means to other people.
Same as what it means to you, except that in some places it's possible
to park so as to block one or two cars in a parking lot, and I call that
double parking too.
2018-05-06 07:33:51 UTC
Post by Will Parsons
What *is* double parking, anyway? And does it differ according to
location?
The term has always meant to me parking parallel to a car (or line of
cars) already parked on the side of a street. This is pretty common
in highly-congested areas, such as in New York City. I have now come
across a different meaning, in which the term refers to parking
overlapping two delineated spaces in a parking lot.
So, I'm interested in what "double parking" means to other people.
The same as it does to you.