Serial production vs. Series production
hhgygy
2014-05-29 07:49:05 UTC
Hi folks.

I wonder which of the above phrases is preferred (if either is preferred at all)
in the meaning of (industrial) mass production.

Thank you.
Don Phillipson
2014-05-29 10:59:42 UTC
Post by hhgygy
I wonder which of the above phrases is preferred (if either is preferred at all)
in the meaning of (industrial) mass production.
Ans: neither, unless context requires it. Without context, the concept
of industrial production does not differentiate between production in
series (sequentially) and production in parallel (simultaneously.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
hhgygy
The context is automotive industry and it is about the series or serial production of car seats.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2014-05-29 16:18:06 UTC
Post by hhgygy
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by hhgygy
I wonder which of the above phrases is preferred (if either is preferred
at all)
in the meaning of (industrial) mass production.
Ans: neither, unless context requires it. Without context, the concept
of industrial production does not differentiate between production in
series (sequentially) and production in parallel (simultaneously.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
The context is automotive industry and it is about the series or serial
production of car seats.
It's still not clear that you need either word. Why not just
"production of car seats"? What would the adjective add?
hhgygy
Like: After successful production of prototypes, series/serial production starts in May 2014.
Tony Cooper
2014-05-29 16:33:32 UTC
Post by hhgygy
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by hhgygy
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by hhgygy
I wonder which of the above phrases is preferred (if either is preferred
at all) in the meaning of (industrial) mass production.
Ans: neither, unless context requires it. Without context, the concept
of industrial production does not differentiate between production in
series (sequentially) and production in parallel (simultaneously.)
The context is automotive industry and it is about the series or serial
production of car seats.
It's still not clear that you need either word. Why not just
"production of car seats"? What would the adjective add?
Like: After successful production of prototypes, series/serial production starts in May 2014.
"Series" would be used if either is to be used. The word does not fit
the description, or add to the description, if this is all the
context.

Production will start on this model or design.

There's no point in adding a word if the word does not, in some way,
clarify the statement.
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
John Varela
2014-05-30 00:17:54 UTC
Post by hhgygy
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by hhgygy
[...]
There is a clear difference between prototype production and series
production. Production goes from models, mock-ups, and breadboards,
to prototypes, to series. Mass production is series production on a
large scale.
John Varela
Anton Shepelev
2014-05-29 16:34:56 UTC
After successful production of prototypes, se-
ries/serial production starts in May 2014.
Large-scale production?
Full-scale production?
/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]
Anton Shepelev
2014-05-29 16:45:10 UTC
Post by Anton Shepelev
After successful production of prototypes, se-
ries/serial production starts in May 2014.
Large-scale production?
Full-scale production?
Commercial production? (Implying that initially on-
ly small batches were producesd for testing purpos-
es).
/\ http://preview.tinyurl.com/qcy6mjc [archived]
John Varela
2014-05-30 00:19:16 UTC
Robert Bannister
2014-05-29 23:35:49 UTC
Post by hhgygy
Like: After successful production of prototypes, series/serial production starts in May 2014.
Makes no sense to me, but perhaps people in the car industry understand
what it means. You might just as well write "serious production".
--
Robert Bannister - 1940-71 SE England
1972-now W Australia
Snidely
2014-06-02 08:59:30 UTC
2014-05-30 14:14:07 UTC
Post by hhgygy
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
It's still not clear that you need either word. Why not just
"production of car seats"? What would the adjective add?
Like: After successful production of prototypes, series/serial
production starts in May 2014.
I think I'm starting to get it. "Series" can refer to a particular style
of car seats. In May 2014, the old series will be phased out, and the
new series will be produced.

If I'm right, the word "serial" is irrelevant to this discussion.
--
Peter Moylan, Newcastle, NSW, Australia. http://www.pmoylan.org
For an e-mail address, see my web page.
Peter T. Daniels
+1
hhgygy
2014-05-29 17:33:17 UTC
OK, so nobody supports either form.

Nevertheless the English Wikipedia redirects from both forms to the article "mass production".

My original language is Hungarian but this problem seems to exist in German as well, as I see on ProZ

http://www.proz.com/kudoz/german_to_english/automotive_cars_trucks/849310-die_serienproduktion_ist_angelaufen.html

In Hungarian, we also use this concept of series/serial production ("sorozatgyártás" Serienproduktion in German) which means production in series, or mass production or commercial production if you like
Don Phillipson
2014-05-29 18:46:39 UTC
Post by hhgygy
OK, so nobody supports either form.
Cf. the magic maxim of Strunk & White:
"Avoid needless words."
Hungarian and German might be different, but consensus
confirmed in this case that English-language narration of
car component production need not specify either series
or serial production.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Snidely
2014-06-02 09:00:29 UTC
Post by Don Phillipson
Post by hhgygy
OK, so nobody supports either form.
"Avoid needless words."
Hungarian and German might be different, but consensus
confirmed in this case that English-language narration of
car component production need not specify either series
or serial production.
And I don't think your newspaper background quite prepared you for
introducing assemblies on the factory floor.

Who, me? And what lacuna?