Table the motion
2019-01-17 05:32:47 UTC
The US/UK divide on the usage of "table" has been discussed frequently
in this group, but a reader of today's news not familiar with the
divide would be confused:

From the BBC News webpage:

"But Mr Corbyn, who tabled the no confidence motion, said in the
Commons that before any "positive discussions" could take place, the
prime minister should rule out a no-deal Brexit."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46899466

From the Fox News webpage:

"House Democratic leaders were reportedly intent on tabling the
censure motion because they were concerned potentially opening the
door to similar censure motions against their own members, including
Michigan Rep. Rashida Tlaib, who called President Trump a
"motherf---er" and demanded his impeachment earlier this month."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/steve-king-defiant-after-house-disapproval-resolution-says-censure-not-going-to-happen

As I understand the divide, Corbyn put the no-confidence motion on the
agenda, but (US) House members are intent on delaying any discussion
of the censure motion and have put it on hold.

Both articles were spotted reading a new aggregator that carries
stories from several media sources.

The lead articles in this news aggregator are all reports about Rudy
Giuliani's claims that "I never said there was no collusion between
the Trump campaign and Russia". Rudy's position is now that Trump
himself never participated in collusion but members of the campaign
staff might of.

Who is Theresa May's Giuliani? Does she have a comparable
spokesperson? Someone to take the stage and blow smoke?
2019-01-17 11:49:14 UTC
[...]
British Prime Ministers are expected to speak for themselves.
We don't go in for emissaries, shields, or cheerleaders as a rule.
occam
2019-01-17 16:22:25 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Tony Cooper
Who is Theresa May's Giuliani? Does she have a comparable
spokesperson? Someone to take the stage and blow smoke?
British Prime Ministers are expected to speak for themselves.
We don't go in for emissaries, shields, or cheerleaders as a rule.
You flatter yourself. Alastair Campbell was known as the no. 10
spin-doctor. His official title:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister%27s_Official_Spokesperson

So, yes, British PMs do have people who speak on their behalf - and
back-track where necessary.
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2019-01-17 16:42:36 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
Who is Theresa May's Giuliani? Does she have a comparable
spokesperson? Someone to take the stage and blow smoke?
British Prime Ministers are expected to speak for themselves.
We don't go in for emissaries, shields, or cheerleaders as a rule.
You flatter yourself. Alastair Campbell was known as the no. 10
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Minister%27s_Official_Spokesperson
So, yes, British PMs do have people who speak on their behalf - and
back-track where necessary.
I did say "as a rule". Campbell was reviled by all and sundry for
shielding Blair and introducing American style briefings. I doubt
we'll see his like again for some time.
Janet
2019-01-17 13:01:46 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
@invalid.com says...
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
I think you're confusing two unrelated actions.

Corbyn called for a Parliamentary (all-party) no-confidence vote in
the Government itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motions_of_no_confidence_in_the_United_Kin
gdom
Post by Tony Cooper
Both articles were spotted reading a new aggregator that carries
stories from several media sources.
The lead articles in this news aggregator are all reports about Rudy
Giuliani's claims that "I never said there was no collusion between
the Trump campaign and Russia". Rudy's position is now that Trump
himself never participated in collusion but members of the campaign
staff might of.
Who is Theresa May's Giuliani? Does she have a comparable
spokesperson? Someone to take the stage and blow smoke?
Take your pick. The Conservative Party's top rank is awash with self-
serving slithy toves, dead ducks and shits like Boris Johnson, Rees-
Mogg, Michael Gove.

MG pretends to have May's back but from his past history we all know
that's just his preferred position for stabbing friends.

Janet.
pensive hamster
2019-01-17 14:43:01 UTC
tonycooper214 says...
[...]
Post by Tony Cooper
The lead articles in this news aggregator are all reports about Rudy
Giuliani's claims that "I never said there was no collusion between
the Trump campaign and Russia". Rudy's position is now that Trump
himself never participated in collusion but members of the campaign
staff might of.
Who is Theresa May's Giuliani? Does she have a comparable
spokesperson? Someone to take the stage and blow smoke?
Take your pick. The Conservative Party's top rank is awash with self-
serving slithy toves, dead ducks and shits like Boris Johnson, Rees-
Mogg, Michael Gove.
There is also "A Downing Street source said ..."
occam
:-). Do you sometimes wonder why he is still in her cabinet?
John Varela
2019-01-18 22:31:38 UTC
On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 05:32:47 UTC, Tony Cooper
Post by Tony Cooper
Rudy's position is now that Trump
himself never participated in collusion but members of the campaign
staff might of.
Oy!
--
John Varela