on stage with the president
2018-08-05 05:43:58 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.

Source:
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7

I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".

Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the president"
seems to be saying that only part of the high command was targeted. I think
it was ment to be: "the military's entire high command, who was/were
on stage with the president."

We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?

Would you agree with these assessments?

Gratefully,
Navi
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-08-05 06:29:19 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7
I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".
Yes
Post by a***@gmail.com
Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the president"
seems to be saying that only part of the high command was targeted. I think
it was ment to be: "the military's entire high command, who was/were
on stage with the president."
We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?
Yes, but I think most people would understand it as what you thought it meant.

I also think "stage" should be "the stage".
2018-08-05 12:12:35 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7
I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".
Yes
No. It's not 'not only ... but also' at all but a comparison between two
possible targets. The target wasn't "M alone" but rather "M + the high
command".
Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the president"
seems to be saying that only part of the high command was targeted. I think
it was ment to be: "the military's entire high command, who was/were
on stage with the president."
We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?
Yes, but I think most people would understand it as what you thought it meant.
I also think "stage" should be "the stage".
People appear 'on stage' not 'on the stage'. That's just the way everybody
says it.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-08-05 13:53:25 UTC
On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 05:12:35 -0700 (PDT), Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
[...]
Agreed. Also I think a person can continue to be a member of the onstage
group even when (s)he is not physically on the stage.
2018-08-05 14:04:54 UTC
[...]
Who are you agreeing with? If you're agreeing with Maddie you're
agreeing that you don't say "on the stage", but a few words later
that's exactly what you do.
2018-08-07 09:08:04 UTC
[...]
Are you sure about your diagnosis? I don't think Madr is excluding "on
the stage", but just pointing out that "on stage" is acceptable and
common.

Trust, but verify.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-08-05 13:55:10 UTC
[...]
In the theatre, yes, but this wasn't in a theatre.

Besides, even in a theatre "on stage" and "on the stage" are not equivalent.
2018-08-05 12:12:05 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7
I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".
Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the president"
seems to be saying that only part of the high command was targeted. I think
it was ment to be: "the military's entire high command, who was/were
on stage with the president."
We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?
Would you agree with these assessments?
Presumably Mr. Taab spoke in Spanish, so your complaint is misplaced.
And your unfortunate use of "tinyurl" makes it impossible to know where
you got your ?quote? without clicking on it. (I question ?quote? because
you have been known to alter passages so as to enquire about some specific
point that wasn't even in the original.)
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-08-05 13:57:36 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7
I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".
Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the president"
seems to be saying that only part of the high command was targeted. I think
it was ment to be: "the military's entire high command, who was/were
on stage with the president."
We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?
Would you agree with these assessments?
Presumably Mr. Taab spoke in Spanish, so your complaint is misplaced.
Not really. He wasn't asking about Mr Taab's Spanish, but about the
translator's English.
2018-08-05 21:57:37 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7
I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".
Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the president"
seems to be saying that only part of the high command was targeted. I think
it was ment to be: "the military's entire high command, who was/were
on stage with the president."
We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?
Would you agree with these assessments?
All I know is that someone staged an attack on those on the stage.

(Or was the whole thing staged?)
2018-08-09 08:22:29 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted
assassination targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's
entire high command
on stage with the president.
https://tinyurl.com/y9x4wpu7
I think the sentence has two problems.
First, "but rather" has to be "but also".
Second, "the military's entire high command on stage with the
president" seems to be saying that only part of the high command was
targeted. I think it was ment to be: "the military's entire high
command, who was/were
on stage with the president."
We won't say: "The attack not only him, but also his whole family on
stage with him." unless only part of the family was on the stage. Right?
Would you agree with these assessments?
All I know is that someone staged an attack on those on the stage.
(Or was the whole thing staged?)
stagecoach - a dance school or a bus company?

c&c:

www.stagecoach.co.uk
www.stagecoachbus.co.uk
2018-08-09 10:36:57 UTC
1) Attorney General Tarek William Saab said the attempted assassination
targeted not only Maduro, but rather the military's entire high command
on stage with the president.
I wrongly interpreted all the running sodiers we saw. I thought that
they were running to protect the President, but our Venezuelan friend
that they weren't interested in that; they were just running away from
the danger. I thought that military discipline didn't encourage that.