It's catching
2021-03-30 15:55:45 UTC
A shudder came over me this morning in the car. I was listening to my
local NPR station and some female host of a show said something about
"bringing reggae music to America". She pronounced it "ree-gay" with
emphasis on the "gay".

I instinctively said it's "regg-ay" with the emphasis, although
slight, on the "regg", and then thought "My God! I've become PTD!"
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Lewis
2021-03-30 19:43:12 UTC
A shudder came over me this morning in the car. I was listening to my
local NPR station and some female host of a show said something about
"bringing reggae music to America". She pronounced it "ree-gay" with
emphasis on the "gay".
I instinctively said it's "regg-ay" with the emphasis, although
slight, on the "regg", and then thought "My God! I've become PTD!"
She just doesn't know the word and was guessing. That's not at all how
it is pronounced, ever, by anyone.
--
'Oook?' 'I like to listen to a man who likes to talk! Whoops! Sawdust
and treacle! Put that in your herring and smoke it!' 'I don't
think he wants one,' said Ponder. --Lords and Ladies
CDB
2021-03-31 12:11:59 UTC
A shudder came over me this morning in the car. I was listening to
my local NPR station and some female host of a show said something
about "bringing reggae music to America". She pronounced it
"ree-gay" with emphasis on the "gay".
I instinctively said it's "regg-ay" with the emphasis, although
slight, on the "regg", and then thought "My God! I've become PTD!"
Think how much more efficient the process will be, now that you two can
scruffle in the privacy of your bedroom.
Pity their wife, my dear, the man is obviously a portmanteau.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2021-03-31 14:46:00 UTC
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:55:45 -0400, Tony Cooper
Post by Tony Cooper
A shudder came over me this morning in the car. I was listening to my
local NPR station and some female host of a show said something about
"bringing reggae music to America". She pronounced it "ree-gay" with
emphasis on the "gay".
I instinctively said it's "regg-ay" with the emphasis, although
slight, on the "regg", and then thought "My God! I've become PTD!"
<smile>
Is infection with PTD better or worse than infection with STD?

Anyway, back to Reggae.
TheOED gives three pronunciations of "reggae", Brit, US and Caribbean.
They all have the stress on the first syllable. The biggest difference
is in the pronunciation of the "ae". Brit and US have it as "ay" but
Caribbean English has it spoken the same as the "e" in "regg".
2021-03-31 16:13:21 UTC
On Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:55:45 -0400, Tony Cooper
[...] some female host of a show said something about
"bringing reggae music to America". She pronounced it "ree-gay" with
emphasis on the "gay".
I instinctively said it's "regg-ay" with the emphasis, although
slight, on the "regg", [...]
TheOED gives three pronunciations of "reggae", Brit, US and Caribbean.
They all have the stress on the first syllable. The biggest difference
is in the pronunciation of the "ae". Brit and US have it as "ay" but
Caribbean English has it spoken the same as the "e" in "regg".
I was actually more interested in the vowel of the first syllable that
Tony thought he heard. "Ree-gay", as in "I thought conversion therapy
had cured me, but it turns out the experts are right and I'm just as gay
as ever"?

Kim's Convenience just featured a couple's discord over the stress in
the word "persimmon" (adding on top of other squabbles.)
--
The lack of any sense of play between them worried Miles. You
had to have a keen sense of humor to do sex and stay sane.
-- L. McMaster Bujold, Memory
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-03-31 21:19:30 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
A shudder came over me this morning in the car. I was listening to my
local NPR station and some female host of a show said something about
"bringing reggae music to America". She pronounced it "ree-gay" with
emphasis on the "gay".
I instinctively said it's "regg-ay" with the emphasis, although
slight, on the "regg", and then thought "My God! I've become PTD!"
<smile>
Is infection with PTD better or worse than infection with STD?
Anyway, back to Reggae.
TheOED gives three pronunciations of "reggae", Brit, US and Caribbean.
They all have the stress on the first syllable. The biggest difference
is in the pronunciation of the "ae". Brit and US have it as "ay" but
Caribbean English has it spoken the same as the "e" in "regg".
I refer m'learned counsel to the works of The Piglets.
(u-tube may provide some musical enlightenment)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Reggae
or it may be banned, due to King's (alleged) sexual misdeameanours.
2021-04-01 12:24:31 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
I've listened to the song "Johnny Reggae" on YouTube. The lead vocalist
seems to pronouce the "ae" as "ay" or "ee", possibly depending on
context. The difference is not great.