without me noticing
2020-02-14 04:47:13 UTC
1) He might pocket something in my room without me noticing.
2) He might pocket something in my room and I might not notice.
3) He might pocket something in my room and I not notice.

Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?

Gratefully,
Navi
David Kleinecke
2020-02-14 05:18:52 UTC
1) He might pocket something in my room without me noticing.
2) He might pocket something in my room and I might not notice.
3) He might pocket something in my room and I not notice.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
All more or less both.

(4) He might pocket something in my room un-noticed by me.
(5) I might not notice if he pocketed something in my room.
etc
Eric Walker
2020-02-14 05:55:41 UTC
1) He might pocket something in my room without me noticing.
2) He might pocket something in my room and I might not notice.
3) He might pocket something in my room and I not notice.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
In Sentence (1), "me" should be "my", "noticing" being a gerund.
Sometimes such constructions can take the ordinary accusative, but only
when the focus is on the noun, in which case the "-ing" word is a
participle. Consider:

4) This is a picture of my diving off the high board.

5) This is a picture of me diving off the high board.

In (4), the focus of the sentence is on the diving; in (5), it is on the
diver. Thus does English, rightly used, allow many subtle
differentiations. (Clearly (1) is focussed on the noticing.)

Both (3) and (4) seem to me both grammatical and idiomatic; (4) is a more
elegant casting of the thought.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
Peter T. Daniels
2020-02-14 13:36:15 UTC
1) He might pocket something in my room without me noticing.
2) He might pocket something in my room and I might not notice.
3) He might pocket something in my room and I not notice.
Which of the above are grammatical?
(1)-(2)
Post by a***@gmail.com
Which are idiomatic?