German pronunciation
2021-03-15 15:35:37 UTC
This video:
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/

will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.

I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.

I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.

I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.

Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Ken Blake
2021-03-15 15:42:51 UTC
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
I say it the same way you do. It's not a surprise to me that some people
say "pro-nownce-ee-ation," but I don't remember ever hearing it.
2021-03-15 15:48:54 UTC
I say it the same way you do. It's not a surprise to me that some people
say "pro-nownce-ee-ation," but I don't remember ever hearing it.
"Pronounciation" was actually spelled and pronounced this
way ("-noun-") since the 16th century, among other variants
such as "pronunciation," but today it is rarely found.

In dictionaries from 1899, 1911, and 1934, I only find
"pronunciation".

The spelling "pronounciation" today is considered as wrong
by almost everyone, while the pronunciation with [-naʊn-]
occasionally occurs and is rarely considered incorrect,
although [-nʌn-] is certainly standard.
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-15 15:48:28 UTC
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
He was obviously referring to the ciation of pronouns.
Post by Tony Cooper
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
When I was in grad school, a fellow student told me that
mispronunciation is common, which might be true, and that I do it,
which is obviously false. I do type "pronounciation" at time and have
to correct it.
2021-03-15 16:17:56 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
When I was in grad school, a fellow student told me that
mispronunciation is common, which might be true, and that I do it,
which is obviously false. I do type "pronounciation" at time and have
to correct it.
The ou ~ u alternation is standard: abound/abundance, profound/profundity,
etc. It's part of the pattern that Chomsky & Halle call "trisyllabic laxing," along
with divine/divinity, sane/sanity, serene/serenity, etc.
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-15 16:37:05 UTC
[pronunciation]
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
When I was in grad school, a fellow student told me that
mispronunciation is common, which might be true, and that I do it,
which is obviously false. I do type "pronounciation" at time
and have to correct it.
The ou ~ u alternation is standard: abound/abundance, profound/profundity,
etc.
A native example is south/southerly, southern (formerly sutherne), according
to Wikipedia.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
It's part of the pattern that Chomsky & Halle call "trisyllabic laxing," along
with divine/divinity, sane/sanity, serene/serenity, etc.
Myopic/myopia, dystonic/dystonia... wait a second.
Blow the wind southerly, southerly, southerly...
Ross Clark
2021-03-16 10:33:38 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
When I was in grad school, a fellow student told me that
mispronunciation is common, which might be true, and that I do it,
which is obviously false. I do type "pronounciation" at time and have
to correct it.
The ou ~ u alternation is standard: abound/abundance, profound/profundity,
etc. It's part of the pattern that Chomsky & Halle call "trisyllabic laxing," along
with divine/divinity, sane/sanity, serene/serenity, etc.
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually organized
in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say "pronounciation".
In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are left as an exercise
for the student.
s***@my-deja.com
2021-03-16 10:52:33 UTC
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually organized
in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say "pronounciation".
In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are left as an exercise
for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names should
be pronounced as in German?

Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?

That idea would demolish all the English language names of many Italian cities
A good idea?
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-03-16 11:07:47 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually
organized in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say
"pronounciation". In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are
left as an exercise for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names
should be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
or LieDl?
Maybe they'll have a cooking special; one could get a Ladle from Lidl.

All Die or Al Dae?
2021-03-16 12:41:12 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually organized
in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say "pronounciation".
In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are left as an exercise
for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names should
be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
That idea would demolish all the English language names of many Italian cities
A good idea?
Leghorn seems to have gone, but all the others I can think of seem to
be alive and well.

French has never had any truck with that idea. Now that we're all
supposed to say Beijing it's still Pékin in French.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
J. J. Lodder
2021-03-16 14:33:53 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually organized
in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say "pronounciation".
In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are left as an exercise
for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names should
be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
That idea would demolish all the English language names of many Italian cities
A good idea?
Leghorn seems to have gone,
But the chickens are still there.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
but all the others I can think of seem to be alive and well.
French has never had any truck with that idea. Now that we're all
supposed to say Beijing it's still Pékin in French.
You can't blame them.
It is not their fault that the Chinese do it all wrong,

2021-03-16 17:33:38 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually
organized in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say
"pronounciation". In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions
are left as an exercise for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names
should be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
That idea would demolish all the English language names of many Italian cities
A good idea?
Leghorn seems to have gone,
But the chickens are still there.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
but all the others I can think of seem to be alive and well.
French has never had any truck with that idea. Now that we're all
supposed to say Beijing it's still Pékin in French.
That's a duck, not a chicken!
Post by J. J. Lodder
You can't blame them.
It is not their fault that the Chinese do it all wrong,
Can't even write proper.
2021-03-16 13:47:05 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually organized
in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say "pronounciation".
In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are left as an exercise
for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names should
be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
In the UK there are two separate Lidl companies, Lidl GB and Lidl NI.
According to the companies' adverts on YouTube, Lidl GB rhymes Lidl with
middle but Lidl NI rhymes it with needle.
2021-03-16 14:33:52 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
Post by Ross Clark
Which means that, if English speakers' phonology were actually organized
in the way Chomsky & Halle proposed, nobody should say "pronounciation".
In fact, however, many people do. Conclusions are left as an exercise
for the student.
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names should
be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
That idea would demolish all the English language names of many Italian cities
A good idea?
Yes I think, with moderation,
and if you take over a hundred years for it.
Dutch has done it wrt English.
Places like Nieuwkasteel and Haarwijk have been forgotten,
but Londen instead of London still exists,

Jan

PS And for our American friends: Zandhoek has gone too.
Quinn C
2021-03-16 16:18:33 UTC
Post by s***@my-deja.com
What about the main point of the video - that German brand names should
be pronounced as in German?
Lidl to rhyme with middle or with needle?
That idea would demolish all the English language names of many Italian cities
The latter can and I think should be regarded as a separate question. If
a separate English name exists, it has its own pronunciation. That will
rarely apply to brand names, though.

In the other case, where you use the foreign name as is, in the exact
spelling, then my strong preference is that the pronunciation should be
based on the original pronunciation.

Mimicking sounds that don't exist in your native language should be
optional, and avoided if it impairs recognition. But reading
pronunciations should really be avoided. So not Eye-key-a, because
Ee-kay-ya is quite English enough, and closer to the Swedish original.

As a general rule - if a company uses a different pronunciation itself,
that's of course admissible.
for how
IKEA promotes itself to British and American customers.

One thing that irritated me in the camera name video is that the speaker
described the German "long a" ([a:]) as in Agfa as "short". I think he
just said that to dissuade English speakers from certain English
pronunciations, mixing different meanings of "long" in the process - but
then, [eI] is very unlikely in this case. It's also possible he thinks
Agfa should be said with an actual short a ([a]) in German. I couldn't
quite figure it out, and I've heard both variants in German.
--
I found the Forshan religion restful. I found the Forshan
religious war less so.
-- J. Scalzi, Redshirts
Tony Cooper
2021-03-16 18:54:09 UTC
On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 12:18:33 -0400, Quinn C
Post by Quinn C
Post by s***@my-deja.com
[...]
that's of course admissible. http://youtu.be/ZFVAVY37nI4 for how
IKEA promotes itself to British and American customers.
The camera name video went through a long list of camera and lens
makers that would be unfamiliar to most people. Even as a person who
is very much into photography, and follows photography news, many of
those names were unfamiliar to me.

Ikea, though, would be a company name with a high degree of name
recognition in any group.

As a "drifting a bit" aside, the thing that irritates me is when
people spell "lens" as "lense". Not as a typo, but as a form of
affectation.
Adam Funk
2021-03-16 11:10:57 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
Hypercorrection or something similar?
--
When Chayefsky created Howard Beale, could he have imagined
Jerry Springer, Howard Stern, and the World Wrestling
Federation? ---Roger Ebert
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-16 14:11:50 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
I hope C&H said it was just a tendency. After all, they knew "invitational"
doesn't rhyme with "national", "obesity" doesn't have the same stressed
vowel as "serenity", etc., etc.
2021-03-16 16:12:27 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]
invite/invitation (-ational is two suffixes, "nation" has no synchronic suffix)

It wouldn't be surprising to hear "obessity" from someone who didn't
know "obesity."

Wijk and other sources have several words of that sort where AmE and
BrE differ.
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-16 16:50:36 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
[...]

Is there a proviso that trisyllabic laxing doesn't apply or doesn't necessarily
apply to synchronic suffixes?
Do you often hear aboundance, profoundity, div/ay/nity, s/ey/nity, etc.?
CDB
2021-03-16 13:27:19 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others,
and it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
When I was in grad school, a fellow student told me that
mispronunciation is common, which might be true, and that I do it,
which is obviously false. I do type "pronounciation" at time and
have to correct it.
Interesting that one (FSVO "one") does not hear or see "announciation",
"enounciation" or "denounciation". The verbs are spelled and pronounced
"-ou-"[aw], and I presume that that is the source of the error.
Quinn C
2021-03-16 16:18:33 UTC
Interesting that one (FSVO "one") does not hear or see "announciation",
"enounciation" or "denounciation". The verbs are spelled and pronounced
"-ou-"[aw], and I presume that that is the source of the error.
One has to take into account that each of these is less frequent than
"pronunciation", so it may take a long time to encounter one instance of
a divergent pronunciation.
--
If this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered
from A to Z. From axe to... zee other axe.
-- Buffy s05e03
Graham
2021-03-15 17:35:44 UTC
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
I haven't heard that but I have heard Canadians and Americans say
"sowthern" for southern.
CDB
2021-03-16 13:34:47 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Tony Cooper
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals
with pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with
German names properly. Only a very few of the items will be
recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation".
I think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others,
and it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
I haven't heard that but I have heard Canadians and Americans say
"sowthern" for southern.
Influenced by the lamented Southam newspaper chain? (The heirs sold out
to Conrad Black.)

They pronounced their name "sowtham" ['***@m].
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-03-15 17:39:42 UTC
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
More common than one might wish! One also sometimes sees it spelt
"pronounciation"
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Rich Ulrich
2021-03-15 19:19:40 UTC
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 18:39:42 +0100, Athel Cornish-Bowden
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
More common than one might wish! One also sometimes sees it spelt
"pronounciation"
Yes, too common and I've seen it spelt that way.

Google Ngrams shows the spelling to be very rare (books).
Rich Ulrich
Tony Cooper
2021-03-15 19:23:37 UTC
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 15:19:40 -0400, Rich Ulrich
Post by Rich Ulrich
[...]
I'll say this once to answer all who noticed it:

I made a typo and spelled pronunciation once incorrectly.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-03-15 19:27:57 UTC
Post by Rich Ulrich
[...]
Yes, I noticed, but in this group we (most of us) only draw attention
to our own typos, not to other people's.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Peter T. Daniels
2021-03-15 21:26:54 UTC
I made a typo and spelled pronunciation once incorrectly.
Yes, I noticed, but in this group we (most of us) only draw attention
to our own typos, not to other people's.
TC isn't part of that "we." I gave him the opportunity to bitch about
my all-caps response -- but all he did was quote the one line that
had an obvious self-correcting typo and call attention to it.

"Pronounciation" is a natural product of fingers that are accustomed
to touch-typing and access "frequency tables" in the memory.
Peter Moylan
2021-03-15 21:05:12 UTC
Post by Rich Ulrich
[...]
I noticed, but thought it was deliberate.
2021-03-15 19:28:53 UTC
https://petapixel.com/2021/03/13/how-to-pronounce-german-camera-and-lens-brands-correctly/
will not have much interest to most people here because it deals with
pronouncing items (German camera bodies and lenses) with German names
properly. Only a very few of the items will be recognizable by most.
I do have a question, though. At about 50 seconds into this, the
speaker says the word "pronounciation" as "pro-nownce-ee-ation". I
think he says it the same in other place later in the video.
I say that word as "pro-nunce-ee-ation.
I have heard the "pro-nownce-ee-ation" pronunciation from others, and
it's alway bothered me.
Is the speaker's pronunciation common for others?
I hear both, never bothered by either one, but I use the same one you
do.

The one currently bothering me is people who say "wizened" as
"wise-end".
There are bad people on both sides
Graham
2021-03-15 22:46:34 UTC
I hear both, never bothered by either one, but I use the same one you
do.
The one currently bothering me is people who say "wizened" as
"wise-end".
That's an example of the current fashion of vowel-lengthening.
Another mis-pronunciation is "sh" for "ch".
I've heard "shintz" for "chintz" but the best example, which combines
both "sh" and vowel lengthening was someone on the CBC saying:
"Grinning like a Sheshyre Cat!"
Lewis
2021-03-16 09:43:22 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lewis
I hear both, never bothered by either one, but I use the same one you
do.
The one currently bothering me is people who say "wizened" as
"wise-end".
That's an example of the current fashion of vowel-lengthening.
Maybe, or maybe it's people thinking it means "wise" and not "old and
wrinkled".
Post by Graham
Another mis-pronunciation is "sh" for "ch".
I've heard "shintz" for "chintz" but the best example, which combines
"Grinning like a Sheshyre Cat!"
Which CBC? Canadian? They might have though they were sounding like
posh Brits?
--
'You make us want what we can't have and what you give us is worth
nothing and what you take is everything and all there is left for
elves.'
Graham
No Brit, posh or otherwise, would ever pronounce "Cheshire" that way.
Lewis
2021-03-16 15:39:41 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lewis
Post by Graham
Another mis-pronunciation is "sh" for "ch".
I've heard "shintz" for "chintz" but the best example, which combines
"Grinning like a Sheshyre Cat!"
Which CBC? Canadian? They might have though they were sounding like
posh Brits?
No Brit, posh or otherwise, would ever pronounce "Cheshire" that way.
I didn't say a Brit would. But I have certainly heard a lot of people
mispronounce things because they thought they were sounding British )or
French).

For example, most Americans pronounce "forte" as "for-tay".
--
'And I promise you this,' he [Carrot] shouted, 'if we succeed, no-one
will remember. And if we fail, no one will forget!'
Jerry Friedman
2021-03-16 15:45:36 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lewis
Post by Graham
Another mis-pronunciation is "sh" for "ch".
I've heard "shintz" for "chintz" but the best example, which combines
"Grinning like a Sheshyre Cat!"
Which CBC? Canadian? They might have though they were sounding like
posh Brits?
No Brit, posh or otherwise, would ever pronounce "Cheshire" that way.
I didn't say a Brit would. But I have certainly heard a lot of people
mispronounce things because they thought they were sounding British )or
French).
For example, most Americans pronounce "forte" as "for-tay".
Cf. "repertoire" pronounced "repertwa", which I heard the other day on NPR.
2021-03-16 18:49:56 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lewis
Post by Graham
Another mis-pronunciation is "sh" for "ch".
I've heard "shintz" for "chintz" but the best example, which combines
"Grinning like a Sheshyre Cat!"
Which CBC? Canadian? They might have though they were sounding like
posh Brits?
No Brit, posh or otherwise, would ever pronounce "Cheshire" that way.
I didn't say a Brit would. But I have certainly heard a lot of people
mispronounce things because they thought they were sounding British )or
French).
For example, most Americans pronounce "forte" as "for-tay".
Cf. "repertoire" pronounced "repertwa", which I heard the other day on NPR.
And "vichysoise" is often pronounced vish-ee-SHWA.
Graham
2021-03-16 18:48:28 UTC
Post by Graham
Post by Lewis
Post by Graham
Another mis-pronunciation is "sh" for "ch".
I've heard "shintz" for "chintz" but the best example, which combines
"Grinning like a Sheshyre Cat!"
Which CBC? Canadian? They might have though they were sounding like
posh Brits?
No Brit, posh or otherwise, would ever pronounce "Cheshire" that way.
I didn't say a Brit would. But I have certainly heard a lot of people
mispronounce things because they thought they were sounding British )or
French).
For example, most Americans pronounce "forte" as "for-tay".
Also:
Poe-de-crème
Rizoatoh
Coasta Rica