Having just returned from the UK
2018-05-08 07:36:36 UTC

Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from

1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)

The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.

I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-08 07:49:20 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable". By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire? Did all these
people find your accent acceptable?
Post by Dingbat
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
It comes from practice. When I first lived in France I couldn't
recognize a Québécois accent, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb.
2018-05-08 08:23:21 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"?
Apart from comprehensible, also pucka, polished, etc.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
English in Inverness 'not so fit for a Queen' | The Scotsman
https://www.scotsman.com/news/english-in-inverness-not-so-fit-for-a-queen-1-681868
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire?
St. Ives, Cornwall.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
Did all these
people find your accent acceptable?
The lady from Maida Vale and the gent from St Ives liked my accent.
The lady from Chichesgter, raised in Cambridge, didn't comment.
2018-05-10 07:31:22 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"?
Apart from comprehensible, also pucka, polished, etc.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
English in Inverness 'not so fit for a Queen' | The Scotsman
https://www.scotsman.com/news/english-in-inverness-not-so-fit-for-a-queen-1-681868
I didn't have any negative aesthetic impressions of the speakers in
Inverness when I was there in 2-nought-nought-nought. I didn't do much
shopping there, but took a couple tours (Culloden and the ruins of
Urquhart, which are in opposite directions). The host of the B&B and
the host of the pub were my other main ear-sources.

Glasgow sounded attractive to me, once I got past the "that's allude"
by the Customs officer (translation: "that's allowed").

And Edinburgh was easy on my ears, until the codger in the pub
established that we were Americans, and treated us to a swift flow of a
a dialect I had no clue about. Better than the Scottish National
Portrait Gallery!

I don't think the few days I was there were enough for me to pick out
which accent was which if you were to blindfold me and test me with a
random individual. It was enough that I would have started to lilt if
I hadn't told myself not to (I wanted to, but didn't want to be accused
of mocking).

[A few years earlier, in SoCal, I heard presentations by a team of HP
folk that included Scots ... one from Edinburgh and one from Glasgow.
They told us we could probably understand each of them better than they
could understand each other.]

Ieri, oggi, domani
Dingbat
2018-05-08 12:34:19 UTC
Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, London, Brighton, Cardiff,
Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives), the only "acceptable" English
accents I heard there were of persons from
I've corrected the list of places I was in.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots. The same has been said
about Hanover speaking the best German by virtue of once having been low
German speakers with little influence from dialectal high German. Well,
the "best" English I heard was in Cambridge - the city (i.e., not
Cambridgeshire in general.)
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
By "St. Ivers" I suppose you mean
St. Ives, but which one: Cornwall or Cambridgeshire? Did all these
people find your accent acceptable?
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
It comes from practice. When I first lived in France I couldn't
recognize a Québécois accent, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb.
When I heard "The Slug and Lettuce" as "The Sloggen Lettuce", I had enough
practice to know what the Mancunian (in this case) speaker was saying; I
just didn't find the pronunciation "acceptable".
Harrison Hill
2018-05-08 13:54:34 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, London, Brighton, Cardiff,
Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives), the only "acceptable" English
accents I heard there were of persons from
I've corrected the list of places I was in.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
Whiskers
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
[...]
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
[...]

That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).
--
^^^^^^^^^^
Whiskers

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Harrison Hill
Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)
Whiskers
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Whiskers
[...]
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
[...]
That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).
Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)
Texas? Or is that Aberdeen?
--
^^^^^^^^^^
Whiskers

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Peter Moylan
2018-05-09 06:27:56 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Whiskers
[...]
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
[...]
That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).
Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)
English tourists.
2018-05-09 22:33:11 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Whiskers
Post by Harrison Hill
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 1:19:23 PM UTC+5:30, Athel
[...]
Post by Harrison Hill
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
  been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
[...]
That could be why Inverness English managed not to be unduly
  influenced by Scots, if the people who brought English to the
  area weren't speaking Scots (or Doric).
Erm...where did those people come from I wonder :)
English tourists.
Doctor Johnson and...?
Boswell doesn't count.
2018-05-08 14:42:27 UTC
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, London, Brighton, Cardiff,
Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives), the only "acceptable" English
accents I heard there were of persons from
I've corrected the list of places I was in.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
... which made their English a 2nd language uninfluenced by dialects other
than their teachers' dialects.
Pierre Jelenc
2018-05-09 23:35:35 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, London, Brighton, Cardiff,
Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives), the only "acceptable" English
accents I heard there were of persons from
I've corrected the list of places I was in.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
What on earth do you mean by "acceptable"? I'm surprised that you
didn't find Inverness "acceptable".
Inverness is supposed to speak the best English by virtue of having once
been highlanders with little influence from Scots.
You cannot be serious! The highlanders spoke Gaelic, not English.
... which made their English a 2nd language uninfluenced by dialects other
than their teachers' dialects.
Who --at the time when Inverness was switching away from Gaelic-- taught
some version of RP regardless of what their native dialect was.

Pierre
--
Pierre Jelenc
The Gigometer www.gigometer.com
The NYC Beer Guide www.nycbeer.org
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-05-10 11:31:32 UTC
Post by Pierre Jelenc
Post by Dingbat
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
[...]
They weren't 'switching away from Gaelic'. Gaelic was banned by the
bastard English in an act of repression so shaming that reparations
are still, in effect, being paid!
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2018-05-10 13:06:00 UTC
On Thu, 10 May 2018 04:31:32 -0700 (PDT), Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Pierre Jelenc
Post by Dingbat
Post by Harrison Hill
Post by Dingbat
[...]
Gaelic was the language of the Irish invaders.

Until 200-300 years ago in Scotland "Irish" was used as here:

Chiefly Sc. Designating a native, esp. Gaelic-speaking, inhabitant
of the Scottish Highlands or Islands. Cf. sense A. 3b, Scot n.1 1.
Obs. {OED}
b***@shaw.ca
2018-05-09 00:13:53 UTC
Post by Dingbat
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
It comes from practice. When I first lived in France I couldn't
recognize a Québécois accent, but now it sticks out like a sore thumb.
It's not acceptable to you?

Maybe he meant "proudly".
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-05-08 11:18:29 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
You must let us know the next time you're over. I've got
a brigade of pitchfork carriers I'd love you to meet!
Dingbat
2018-05-08 12:37:37 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
You must let us know the next time you're over. I've got
a brigade of pitchfork carriers I'd love you to meet!
Tut tut. The people were nice in general regardless of their accents;
you must have friends in the lowest places if you know so many
pitchfork wielders.
Whiskers
2018-05-08 13:10:54 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
The people from Cambridge Maida Vale and High Wycombe whose accents you
approved of, were almost certainly not speaking the regional accents
associated with those places. They would have been using something
close to whatever passes now for 'Received Pronunciation'.

I do hope you managed to have a good time. You certainly covered a lot
of territory - very nearly all of it!
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Paul Carmichael
2018-05-08 14:26:57 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
The people from Cambridge Maida Vale and High Wycombe whose accents you
approved of, were almost certainly not speaking the regional accents
associated with those places.
I lived in Bucks for quite some time and can tell you that the local accent is very strong
and rural. Oo arr. Admittedly there is a lot of overspill from the Smoke, so there's a bit
of various London accents as well.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Sam Plusnet
2018-05-09 01:29:31 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers),
You seem to be having some serious difficulties with your SatNav system.

Where were you aiming for?
2018-05-09 02:23:56 UTC
Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives, Portsmouth, Wight, London),
You seem to be having some serious difficulties with your SatNav system.
I've made the list of UK places complete.
Post by Sam Plusnet
Where were you aiming for?
Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.
Harrison Hill
2018-05-09 07:00:15 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Where were you aiming for?
Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.
You were wise to miss out Yorkshire. Unhalted "gurners" and "upper cleft":

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYvCIrX-Zlc>
Harrison Hill
2018-05-09 07:20:48 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
Oops no, I see I have my roses muddled up, and Dawson was a red-rose
Mancunian. Here's a sad indictment of the English class system - which
you seem to have instinctively noticed, as we all do - from Les Dawson's
wiki page:

"Before his fame Dawson wrote poetry and kept it secret. It was not
expected that someone of his working-class background would have
literary ambitions. In a BBC Television documentary, he spoke of his
love for canonical figures in English literature, in particular the
19th century essayist Charles Lamb, whose florid style influenced
Dawson's".

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Dawson>
Dingbat
2018-05-09 09:01:14 UTC
I was in Humberside, Yorkshire and Edinburgh on a previous trip.
LFS
2018-05-09 11:30:32 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Where were you aiming for?
Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Dingbat
2018-05-09 12:33:19 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (Cambridge, Brighton, Cardiff,
Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness,
Aberdeen, Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ives, Portsmouth, Wight, London),
I was in Oxford (and Bath) on a prior visit. It had too many Oxonians:-)
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-09 12:41:23 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by LFS
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
I was in Oxford (and Bath) on a prior visit. It had too many Oxonians:-)
When I was there on an October '92 Saturday afternoon, there was an organ
scholar tootling away in each chapel. Quite nice.
Dingbat
2018-05-09 14:15:43 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by LFS
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
I was in Oxford (and Bath) on a prior visit. It had too many Oxonians:-)
When I was there on an October '92 Saturday afternoon, there was an organ
scholar tootling away in each chapel. Quite nice.
I'm jealous! There's a daily 13:00 organ recital at Kelvingrove Museum in
Glasgow. One of the most delightful organ recitals I've heard was at St
Maclou in Rouen.
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-09 14:24:33 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Dingbat
Post by LFS
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
I was in Oxford (and Bath) on a prior visit. It had too many Oxonians:-)
When I was there on an October '92 Saturday afternoon, there was an organ
scholar tootling away in each chapel. Quite nice.
I'm jealous! There's a daily 13:00 organ recital at Kelvingrove Museum in
Glasgow. One of the most delightful organ recitals I've heard was at St
Maclou in Rouen.
St. Paul's Chapel (across the street from the World Trade Center) just got
a new organ, and they're having 1 pm hour-long recitals by guest artists
from around the area each Friday since February. There are several more
on the schedule.
RH Draney
2018-05-09 23:21:33 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Dingbat
Post by LFS
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
I was in Oxford (and Bath) on a prior visit. It had too many Oxonians:-)
When I was there on an October '92 Saturday afternoon, there was an organ
scholar tootling away in each chapel. Quite nice.
I'm jealous! There's a daily 13:00 organ recital at Kelvingrove Museum in
Glasgow. One of the most delightful organ recitals I've heard was at St
Maclou in Rouen.
St. Paul's Chapel (across the street from the World Trade Center) just got
a new organ, and they're having 1 pm hour-long recitals by guest artists
from around the area each Friday since February. There are several more
on the schedule.
And that, dear friends, is why Christianity is considered an "organized"
religion....r
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-10 03:27:00 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Dingbat
Post by LFS
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
I was in Oxford (and Bath) on a prior visit. It had too many Oxonians:-)
When I was there on an October '92 Saturday afternoon, there was an organ
scholar tootling away in each chapel. Quite nice.
I'm jealous! There's a daily 13:00 organ recital at Kelvingrove Museum in
Glasgow. One of the most delightful organ recitals I've heard was at St
Maclou in Rouen.
St. Paul's Chapel (across the street from the World Trade Center) just got
a new organ, and they're having 1 pm hour-long recitals by guest artists
from around the area each Friday since February. There are several more
on the schedule.
And that, dear friends, is why Christianity is considered an "organized"
religion....r
OTOH, Trinity Church is closing this week for about two years, for a full
renovation and restoration -- it hasn't had a proper face lift since 1946,
they say. Trinity, maybe half a mile south of St. Paul's, also on Broadway,
suffered more on 9/11: the pipes of its organ filled up with ash, which
solidified. Rather than restore it, they junked it (they said) -- but it
was just revealed that it was sold to a church somewhere in the country
which made it operational for only $1M. Trinity has gotten by with an
electronic organ for at least 10 years, which may be why they finally
moved all their music programs to St. Paul's in the last few years.

St. Paul's was untouched on 9/11, despite being directly across the street,
and for more than a year served as the R&R HQ for all who worked on "the
pile" afterward.
Reinhold {Rey} Aman
2018-05-09 16:19:28 UTC
Post by Dingbat
I'm jealous!
No, you're *envious*.
~~~ Reinhold {Rey} Aman ~~~
Dingbat
2018-05-09 20:38:15 UTC
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dingbat
I'm jealous!
No, you're *envious*.
Thank you!

Envy is when you want what someone else has, but jealousy is when you're
worried someone's trying to take what you have.
https://www.vocabulary.com/articles/chooseyourwords/envy-jealousy/
Richard Tobin
2018-05-09 22:04:07 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Reinhold {Rey} Aman
Post by Dingbat
I'm jealous!
No, you're *envious*.
Thank you!
Envy is when you want what someone else has, but jealousy is when you're
worried someone's trying to take what you have.
"Jealous" has both meanings.

My wife's summary of Edinburgh: "Too many bag-pipes".
Whiskers
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
[...]
Post by Harrison Hill
My wife's summary of Edinburgh: "Too many bag-pipes".
I suspect most natives of Edinburgh would agree.
--
^^^^^^^^^^
Whiskers

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Joseph C. Fineman
2018-05-09 22:34:00 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Harrison Hill
My wife's summary of Edinburgh: "Too many bag-pipes".
I suspect most natives of Edinburgh would agree.
"Welcome to heaven. Here's your harp."
"Welcome to hell. Here's your bagpipe."
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: Felicificity: Happiness per unit luck. :||
Peter Moylan
2018-05-10 02:52:05 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Harrison Hill
My wife's summary of Edinburgh: "Too many bag-pipes".
I suspect most natives of Edinburgh would agree.
Bagpipes are supposed to be heard from a distant hill. If you're hearing
them close up, something has gone wrong.
2018-05-10 07:46:41 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Harrison Hill
My wife's summary of Edinburgh: "Too many bag-pipes".
I suspect most natives of Edinburgh would agree.
Bagpipes are supposed to be heard from a distant hill. If you're hearing
them close up, something has gone wrong.
I've heard piobreach in a small amphitheater, with the pipers playing
for judges. I don't understand the architecture of piobreach very
well, but then there are a lot jazz solos I don't understand, and
portions of Tchaikovsky symphonies that I don't often recognize.

There was a piper for the services of my ex's parents in a National
Cemetary. Colonel, RET AAC/USAAF, beginning in England in 1942 (I
think that year). The Air Force also provided a volley ... the literal
parting shots.

/dps "the amphitheater is still there 40+ years later"
45°28'54.84" N 122°37'55.71" W
https://goo.gl/maps/P4jva9pEbFM2
--
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html>
Peter T. Daniels
2018-05-09 12:39:16 UTC
Post by LFS
Thank you for avoiding Oxford. We have far too many tourists as it is.
What can you tell me of the Weston Library lunch time Public Seminars?
That's what I'll be doing on the 17th of July.
Harrison Hill
2018-05-09 13:40:26 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
I see the people of Venice are rebelling against their tourists,
who they accuse of ruining the city for everybody.

"Venice’s population has fallen from about 175,000 in the post-second
world war years to 55,000 today".

<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/23/venice-tempers-boil-over-tourist-high-season>
Lewis
2018-05-09 14:03:26 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
This is the worst version of the St Ives puzzle I've ever heard.
I'm from a predominately black family—Eddie Murphy
Sam Plusnet
2018-05-09 22:36:17 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
Where were you aiming for?
Places other than London where I have been too many times. I flew to
Heathrow and went to Cambridge to see it and to be close to Stansted from
where I was to fly to the Continent. I returned from the Continent to
Manchester and stayed a few days in Liverpool. Using Liverpool as a base,
I made day trips to Manchester, Glasgow and Birmingham. I then took the
Caledonian Sleeper from Crewe to Inverness, a train to Aberdeen and the
Caledonian Sleeper to London Euston. I made my way to Paddington and took
a train to Cardiff and next to Bristol. Returning to Paddington, I took
the Night Riviera sleeper to St Erth and a branch line to St Ives. Next,
trains to Exeter and Plymouth and the Night Riviera back to Paddington.
I then stayed in Littlehampton near Brighton and using that as a base,
visited Portsmouth, Wight and London.
Oh take no notice of my foolishness.
Having lived in the UK for pretty much my whole life, there were three
cities on your original list that I haven't yet visited.
2018-05-10 05:36:22 UTC
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
Only one for me: Cardiff. (Actually I'm not sure if I've ever been to St Ives.)
2018-05-10 09:14:18 UTC
On Thu, 10 May 2018 05:36:22 GMT, Athel Cornish-Bowden
Post by Sam Plusnet
[...]
As a sea-side resort, I'd say it's over-rated.

{insert query here}

Yes.
the Omrud
2018-05-10 09:28:55 UTC
Post by Dingbat
[...]
Exeter and St Ives for me. I have been to the Isle of Wight but I was
three and I only remember the exciting engine on the ferry. My parents
lost me on the boat, and eventually found me drooling over the machinery
below decks.

How many Brits here have actually visited Crewe, other than to change
trains in the station? I worked in the town for a year in the 80s and
my final employer has a significant office there which I visited every
few weeks, so I'm probably one of the few. Not an attractive town, Crewe.
David
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2018-05-10 09:44:47 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Dingbat
[...]
I've certainly changed trains many times in Crewe, but I don't think
I've had the pleasure of visiting the town.

I think of my home town as Newton Abbot, which could be regarded as the
southwest's answer to Crewe. However, although it's now one of Devon's
most beautiful locations it's a lot nicer than Crewe. I'm trying to
remember the name of the place, dominated by a prison, where the lines
to Edinburgh and Glasgow separate. As soon as I've pressed Send I'll
probably remember.

John Dunlop
2018-05-10 10:13:38 UTC
[...] I'm trying to remember the name of the place, dominated by a
prison, where the lines to Edinburgh and Glasgow separate. As soon as
I've pressed Send I'll probably remember.
Carstairs. Not your run-of-the-mill prison:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Hospital
John
LFS
2018-05-10 14:28:08 UTC
Post by Dingbat
[...]
I have, when I was an auditor. You are right.

I haven't been to St Ives or Inverness but I've visited all the other
places.
Laura (emulate St George for email)
Arindam Banerjee
Would you consider HM the Queen's English accents acceptable?
Dingbat
Quite!
Sam Plusnet
2018-05-09 22:41:00 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
Would you consider HM the Queen's English accents acceptable?
Quite!
Take a recording from around the time of her coronation.
Compare and contrast with a more recent recording.
Which of the two falls more gently upon your ear?
IMHO, she sounded her best about the time John Major was PM.
Richard Tobin
2018-05-09 23:41:22 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Would you consider HM the Queen's English accents acceptable?
Quite!
Take a recording from around the time of her coronation.
Compare and contrast with a more recent recording.
Which of the two falls more gently upon your ear?
I wonder what Edward VII sounded like when Fowler (and Fowler) wrote
The King's English, and if they had ever heard him.

2018-05-10 03:28:45 UTC
Post by Richard Tobin
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Dingbat
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Would you consider HM the Queen's English accents acceptable?
Quite!
Take a recording from around the time of her coronation.
Compare and contrast with a more recent recording.
Which of the two falls more gently upon your ear?
The King's English, and if they had ever heard him.
Shaw decreed that George V should provide the model for Proper English.
Presumably he was personally acquainted with every monarch from VR to GVIR
as well as the Princess Elizabeth.
Arindam Banerjee
Good.
Arindam Banerjee
Several years ago, there was an exhibition at the Myers store here in Melbourne about English products. One of the highlights was a talking statue of Queen Elizabeth the First. Her accents were good, but not as good as the English attendant at the lifts, whose English was the best spoken English I have ever heard.
Janet
2018-05-10 10:29:25 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Having just returned from the UK (London, Brighton, Cardiff, Bristol,
Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, Inverness, Aberdeen,
Exeter, Plymouth, St. Ivers), the only "acceptable" English accents
I heard there were of persons from
1) Cambridge
2) Maida Vale (near Lord's cricket ground)
3) High Wycombe (in Buckinghamshire)
The regional accents sounded gross to various degrees.
I didn't know I was so sensitive to accents.
There must have been some curiously limited societal aspect of your
itinerary. Otherwise, you would have encountered people speaking
standard English in every location.

Janet.