more of a technician
Add Reply
arthurvv vart
2021-04-03 03:12:17 UTC
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.

4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.

Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?

I think '1' is informal and would be frowned upon in formal English. Is that correct?

Gratefully,
Navi
David Kleinecke
2021-04-03 03:56:53 UTC
Post by arthurvv vart
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
I think '1' is informal and would be frowned upon in formal English. Is that correct?
I think (1) is a bit old-fashioned and the most likely version is (3). I think (4)-(6) are not
good English.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-04-03 09:34:25 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by arthurvv vart
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
I think '1' is informal and would be frowned upon in formal English. Is that correct?
I think (1) is a bit old-fashioned and the most likely version is (3).
I think (4)-(6) are not
good English.
Agreed on all counts.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Ken Blake
2021-04-03 16:15:39 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
Post by arthurvv vart
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
I think '1' is informal and would be frowned upon in formal English. Is that correct?
I think (1) is a bit old-fashioned and the most likely version is (3).
I think (4)-(6) are not
good English.
Agreed on all counts.
Same here. 6 would be greatly improved if "is" was added to its end.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Eric Walker
2021-04-03 06:53:01 UTC
Post by arthurvv vart
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Numbers (3) and (6) are the clearest, and, I think, the most idiomatic
forms. Numbers (1) and (2) are, I suppose, passable, but numbers (4) and
(5) are not (though they would likely be understood).
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
Peter Moylan
2021-04-03 10:08:42 UTC
Post by Eric Walker
Post by arthurvv vart
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
Numbers (3) and (6) are the clearest, and, I think, the most idiomatic
forms. Numbers (1) and (2) are, I suppose, passable, but numbers (4) and
(5) are not (though they would likely be understood).
I thought I understood (4) and (5), but I'm having second thoughts. My
initial interpretation was "Tom is a better technician than Harry", but
now I doubt that. They are probably intended to mean something like "Tom
is more of a technical thinker than Harry". I wouldn't swear to it,
though. The lack of a clear meaning is why (4) and (5) are bad sentences.
(1) and (6) are best.
Jerry Friedman
2021-04-03 18:03:11 UTC
Post by arthurvv vart
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.
2) Tom is more a technician than an engineer.
3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.
5) Tom is more a technician than Harry.
6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.
Which of the above are grammatical?
Which are idiomatic?
I think '1' is informal and would be frowned upon in formal English. Is that correct?
I'd say 1 is old-fashioned and Gallic. 2 is the simple, standard one. 3 is
idiomatic--I've probably said such things--but has an extra "of" Compare
"Tom is half a technician (and half something else)" and "Tom is half of
a technician."

4 is weird. I can sort of imagine it colloquially meaning you'll get more
technical work from Tom than from Harry. 5 is good and I'd like it better
with "is" at the end for some reason. 6 is like 3.

These days you might here "more so" in those.

https://www.quora.com/Would-you-say-Paganism-is-more-so-a-lifestyle-and-Wicca-is-more-of-a-belief-system

"A lot of people expect the Fraternity to make you into the something you aren’t
and that simply isn’t the case. This is more so a journey to discovering your own
potential."

https://www.phideltatheta.org/staff-boards/greg-rush/
2021-04-04 09:25:40 UTC
1) Tom is more technician than engineer.> 2) Tom is more a technician
than an engineer.> 3) Tom is more of a technician than an engineer.>>
4) Tom is more technician than Harry.> 5) Tom is more a technician than
Harry.> 6) Tom is more of a technician than Harry.>> Which of the above
are grammatical?> Which are idiomatic?>> I think '1' is informal and
would be frowned upon in formal English. Is that correct?
I'd say 1 is old-fashioned and Gallic. 2 is the simple, standard one. 3 is
idiomatic--I've probably said such things--but has an extra "of" Compare
"Tom is half a technician (and half something else)" and "Tom is half of
a technician."
4 is weird. I can sort of imagine it colloquially meaning you'll get more
technical work from Tom than from Harry. 5 is good and I'd like it better
with "is" at the end for some reason.
Without the "is" at the end it says that Tom is more a technician than
he is Harry. Only common sense tells us that it can't mean that.