every day when you went out
2020-01-10 05:48:49 UTC
1) I cleaned the windows every day that she was here.
2) I cleaned the windows every day when she was here.

Is there a difference between the meanings of the above sentences?

I think '2' corresponds to:
a) When she was here, I cleaned the windows every day.

==============================

3) I ate an apple every day that you went out.
4) I ate an apple every day when you went out.

Is there a difference between the meanings of the above sentences?

I think '4' corresponds to:
b) I ate an apple every day, when you went out.

Gratefully,
Navi
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2020-01-10 07:41:47 UTC
1) I cleaned the windows every day that she was here.
2) I cleaned the windows every day when she was here.
Is there a difference between the meanings of the above sentences?
a) When she was here, I cleaned the windows every day.
So does 1.
Post by a***@gmail.com
==============================
3) I ate an apple every day that you went out.
4) I ate an apple every day when you went out.
Is there a difference between the meanings of the above sentences?
Yes. 4 specifies the moment when you ate an apple; 3 doesn't.
2020-01-10 15:03:51 UTC
1) I cleaned the windows every day that she was here.
2) I cleaned the windows every day when she was here.
Is there a difference between the meanings of the above sentences?
No. Even in AmE, omit "that" or "when."
Post by a***@gmail.com
a) When she was here, I cleaned the windows every day.
3) I ate an apple every day that you went out.
4) I ate an apple every day when you went out.
Is there a difference between the meanings of the above sentences?
b) I ate an apple every day, when you went out.
b = b ? That hardly bears mentioning.