For Christians, and those who understand christianity
2019-12-24 12:59:17 UTC
I see that it's nearly midnight. OK, here goes.

We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy new year.

Good tidings we've brung
To you and your young.

We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Rama
Rama Lama Ding Dong.

Good tidings we brang
To yins and your yang.

And a merry summer solstice to you all.
Madhu
2019-12-24 13:38:24 UTC
I see that it's nearly midnight. OK, here goes.
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
Ah that explains the relative drop in traffic i think i spotted in this
ng
Two days too late or 6 months too early!
Peter Moylan
2019-12-24 13:55:57 UTC
Post by Madhu
Post by Peter Moylan
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
Two days too late or 6 months too early!
It is generally assumed that the early Christians set the birth of Jesus
of Nazareth at one of the existing celebrations of the dominant
religions. I assume that the accuracy of the astronomical measurements
of the time were such that a two-day measurement error was negligible.
2019-12-24 16:41:13 UTC
Post by Madhu
Post by Peter Moylan
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
Two days too late or 6 months too early!
It is generally assumed that the early Christians set the birth of Jesus
of Nazareth at one of the existing celebrations of the dominant
religions. I assume that the accuracy of the astronomical measurements
of the time were such that a two-day measurement error was negligible.
You do them an injustice! Babylonian astronomical records going back
I think to ca. 1500 BCE were extremely accurate -- and over the centuries
they got better and better and could predict eclipses with considerable
accuracy. Mesopotamian celestial sciences (both astronomy and astrology)
were transmitted both west to Greece and east to India at least several
centuries before the turn of the era.
J. J. Lodder
2019-12-24 20:45:05 UTC
Post by Madhu
Post by Peter Moylan
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
Two days too late or 6 months too early!
It is generally assumed that the early Christians set the birth of Jesus
of Nazareth at one of the existing celebrations of the dominant
religions. I assume that the accuracy of the astronomical measurements
of the time were such that a two-day measurement error was negligible.
Eh, early christian science wasn't up the state of the art
of their time.

Jan
pensive hamster
2019-12-25 15:55:08 UTC
* Peter Moylan : Wrote on Tue, 24 Dec
Post by Peter Moylan
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
Two days too late or 6 months too early!
It is generally assumed that the early Christians set the birth of Jesus
of Nazareth at one of the existing celebrations of the dominant
religions. I assume that the accuracy of the astronomical measurements
of the time were such that a two-day measurement error was negligible.
The explanation advanced at the C of E school I attended, was that
early Christians held Christmas celebrations a few days after the
pagan solstice, thus giving the Christians the chance to outdo the
pagans with a more festive celebration, with more lavish feasting.
So over time, people came to prefer the Christian celebrations.

No idea if that is historically accurate or not, but I wouldn't put it
past the Christians.
s***@gmail.com
2019-12-25 05:12:33 UTC
I see that it's nearly midnight. OK, here goes.
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy new year.
Good tidings we've brung
To you and your young.
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Rama
Rama Lama Ding Dong.
Good tidings we brang
To yins and your yang.
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
I don't think your Yule has run out yet,
so I can still wish you a Frozen Log.
As Christmas Eve begins to ebb away in California,
we are in between need ours for a raft
and needing ours for surfboard.
Sun was out today, after a couple of wet days,

/dps

and a couple more wet days coming.
Peter Moylan
2019-12-25 07:22:53 UTC
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
I don't think your Yule has run out yet, so I can still wish you a
Frozen Log. As Christmas Eve begins to ebb away in California, we are
in between need ours for a raft and needing ours for surfboard. Sun
was out today, after a couple of wet days,
/dps
and a couple more wet days coming.
It's a sad fact of life that rain always falls on the wet and hardly
ever falls on the thirsty.
Peter Young
2019-12-25 08:15:21 UTC
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
I don't think your Yule has run out yet, so I can still wish you a
Frozen Log. As Christmas Eve begins to ebb away in California, we are
in between need ours for a raft and needing ours for surfboard. Sun
was out today, after a couple of wet days,
/dps
and a couple more wet days coming.
It's a sad fact of life that rain always falls on the wet and hardly
ever falls on the thirsty.
The rain it raineth every day
Upon the just and unjust feller,
But more upon the just because
The unjust's stolen his umbrella.

Peter.
(US equivalent: Certified Anesthesiologist) (AUE Hg)
http://pnyoung.orpheusweb.co.uk
Spains Harden
2019-12-25 10:22:37 UTC
Post by Peter Young
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
I don't think your Yule has run out yet, so I can still wish you a
Frozen Log. As Christmas Eve begins to ebb away in California, we are
in between need ours for a raft and needing ours for surfboard. Sun
was out today, after a couple of wet days,
/dps
and a couple more wet days coming.
It's a sad fact of life that rain always falls on the wet and hardly
ever falls on the thirsty.
The rain it raineth every day
Upon the just and unjust feller,
But more upon the just because
The unjust's stolen his umbrella.
Peter.
Or as the original by Charles Bowen rendered it:

The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.

Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Peter Moylan
2019-12-25 10:38:19 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
Peter Young
2019-12-25 10:49:13 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
Pedants of the world unite!

Spains Harden
2019-12-25 11:12:37 UTC
Post by Peter Young
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
Pedants of the world unite!
Peter.
LOL. in a similar vein: if I remember correctly, that well-known
Welshman Leslie Thomas (remember "Virgin Soldiers"?) had this rhyme
as the preface to one of his books: "Tropic of Ruislip" perhaps? I
recall the "hath" being altered to "has" - making it even neater.
Quinn C
2019-12-25 18:50:15 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
It shall be enough to have this vain argument secularly.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
2019-12-25 22:19:42 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
It shall be enough to have this vain argument secularly.
It feels unreal ... or maybe it be side real.

2019-12-25 23:15:08 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
Only for math nerds. For the other 99.97% of the population the 20s are
2020-2029, and since those are all the years that are "twenty" it's not
like it's wrong anyway.
--
The Auditors avoided death by never going so far as to get a life
--The Thief of Time
Paul Wolff
2019-12-26 23:25:24 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
Only for math nerds. For the other 99.97% of the population the 20s are
2020-2029, and since those are all the years that are "twenty" it's not
like it's wrong anyway.
Every day is the first day of a new decade, an intermediate day of a
current decade, and the last day of an old one. The rest is
superstition.
Paul
Ross
2019-12-27 01:11:49 UTC
Post by Paul Wolff
Post by Spains Harden
The rain it raineth on the just
And also on the unjust fella;
But chiefly on the just, because
The unjust hath the just’s umbrella.
Merry Christmas Peter - and a happy new decade!
Doesn't the present decade still have a year to run?
Only for math nerds. For the other 99.97% of the population the 20s are
2020-2029, and since those are all the years that are "twenty" it's not
like it's wrong anyway.
Every day is the first day of a new decade, an intermediate day of a
current decade, and the last day of an old one. The rest is
superstition.
--
Paul
"...of thousands of current decades..."

b***@aol.com
2019-12-25 16:39:16 UTC
I see that it's nearly midnight. OK, here goes.
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy new year.
Good tidings we've brung
To you and your young.
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Krishna
We wish you a Hare Rama
Rama Lama Ding Dong.
Good tidings we brang
To yins and your yang.
And a merry summer solstice to you all.
A little late, but Happy Hogswatch!
Happy Hogwash too!
--
When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is
possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that
something is impossible, he is probably wrong.
Arindam Banerjee
2019-12-26 09:58:04 UTC
I see that it's nearly midnight. OK, here goes.
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy new year.