OT: Home Decor
2021-04-13 20:19:43 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.

Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.

Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Ken Blake
2021-04-13 20:46:32 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Looks great!
2021-04-13 22:35:57 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Looks great!
But why is it on fire?
--
I don't see people ... as having a right to be idiots. It's
just impractical to try to stop them, unless they're hurting
in L. McMaster Bujold, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
Tony Cooper
2021-04-13 23:29:06 UTC
On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 18:35:57 -0400, Quinn C
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Looks great!
But why is it on fire?
The sun was low in the horizon and that's the sun's reflection on the
osprey's feathers. It was flying roughly southeast.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Peter T. Daniels
Does it live nearby? "Lock up your kitties!"
Tony Cooper
2021-04-13 21:47:18 UTC
On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 13:56:01 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Does it live nearby? "Lock up your kitties!"
Osprey are very common around here. Just about every football field
is home to an osprey family. They nest on top of the field light
poles. They are never more than a few wing flaps from a lake anywhere
around here, so I occasionally see an osprey flying with a fish in its
talons.

On Interstate 4 between here and Tampa, every X (I've never counted)
light pole has a platform built on top of it for an osprey nest. The
osprey will build a nest anyway if there's no platform, so the
authorities provide the platforms so the nests won't interfere with
the lighting or structure.

Even the light poles in the parking lots of the malls have platforms
and osprey nests.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
J. J. Lodder
2021-04-14 10:44:11 UTC
[...]
Almost extinct in these parts, but the population is recovering.
There are only a few breeding pairs, first in 2016.

Most of those seen are just passing by,

But you might run out of fish!
J. J. Lodder
2021-04-14 16:40:19 UTC
[...]
If so, they may get naturally selected,

By switching to small mammals!
Peter Moylan
2021-04-15 00:52:44 UTC
Osprey are very common around here. Just about every football field
is home to an osprey family. They nest on top of the field light
poles. They are never more than a few wing flaps from a lake
anywhere around here, so I occasionally see an osprey flying with a
fish in its talons.
On Interstate 4 between here and Tampa, every X (I've never counted)
light pole has a platform built on top of it for an osprey nest.
The osprey will build a nest anyway if there's no platform, so the
authorities provide the platforms so the nests won't interfere with
the lighting or structure.
Even the light poles in the parking lots of the malls have platforms
and osprey nests.
I don't think I've ever seen an osprey, but our pelicans seem to fulfil
the post-sitting requirement.

(Wikipedia says that in Australia osprey are "found patchily around the
coastline", whatever that means. I've covered a lot of coastline over
the years, but I must have gone to the wrong patches.)
2021-04-15 04:26:48 UTC
On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:52:44 +1100, Peter Moylan
Osprey are very common around here. Just about every football field
is home to an osprey family. They nest on top of the field light
poles. They are never more than a few wing flaps from a lake
anywhere around here, so I occasionally see an osprey flying with a
fish in its talons.
On Interstate 4 between here and Tampa, every X (I've never counted)
light pole has a platform built on top of it for an osprey nest.
The osprey will build a nest anyway if there's no platform, so the
authorities provide the platforms so the nests won't interfere with
the lighting or structure.
Even the light poles in the parking lots of the malls have platforms
and osprey nests.
I don't think I've ever seen an osprey, but our pelicans seem to fulfil
the post-sitting requirement.
The pelicans here sit on much shorter posts.

Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Peter Moylan
2021-04-15 03:46:44 UTC
[...]
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-shqCTdm/0/dc462517/O/2012-02-28-131.jpg
Ours seem to go for the really tall poles. I couldn't find a Newcastle
example, but this is typical.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xpxOMk83PUERyDrzbUeIpQHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1
2021-04-15 05:49:41 UTC
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.xpxOMk83PUERyDrzbUeIpQHaFj%26pid%3DApi&f=1
I am once again reminded of:

Mark Brader "You can do this in a number of ways.
Toronto IBM chose to do all of them...
***@vex.net why do you find that funny?" --D. Taylor
J. J. Lodder
2021-04-15 08:10:59 UTC
[...]
We have Cormorants for that kind of job.
They are not disturbed by the noise of twelve lanes of motorway
below them.

2021-04-15 13:43:05 UTC
Even the light poles in the parking lots of the malls have platforms
and osprey nests.
I don't think I've ever seen an osprey, but our pelicans seem to fulfil
the post-sitting requirement.
Does her beak hold more than her belly can? (O. Nash)
Maybe "found patchily" refers to something akin to mange in a mammal.
J. J. Lodder
2021-04-14 10:44:11 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Does it live nearby? "Lock up your kitties!"
Mostly a myth. Their diet is almost exclusively fish.
It is also called a fish hawk with good reason,

2021-04-14 12:24:08 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Does it live nearby? "Lock up your kitties!"
Ospreys here don't take on anything as fat and feisty as a cat.

My son's neighbour (millionaire crook) has a wonderful man-made fishing
lake (several acres, islands, swans, the lot) much enjoyed by ospreys.
We enjoy watching the ospreys fishing.

2021-04-14 12:47:50 UTC
Post by Janet
Ospreys here don't take on anything as fat and feisty as a cat.
My son's neighbour (millionaire crook) has a wonderful man-made fishing
lake (several acres, islands, swans, the lot)
Golf course?
--
Quinn: I'm not very good at talking to boys.
Zoey: It's easy! It's just like talking to girls, but you got to
-- Zoey 101, Quinn's Date
Jerry Friedman
2021-04-14 14:59:33 UTC
Post by Janet
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Does it live nearby? "Lock up your kitties!"
Ospreys here don't take on anything as fat and feisty as a cat.
Or as terrestrial.
Post by Janet
My son's neighbour (millionaire crook) has a wonderful man-made fishing
lake (several acres, islands, swans, the lot) much enjoyed by ospreys.
We enjoy watching the ospreys fishing.
Definitely fun.

Drifting a bit... I recently used "fake lake" elsewhere, and some people
hadn't seen it and couldn't figure it out. (The context wasn't helpful.)
Do people here know that phrase?
2021-04-14 19:14:05 UTC
Post by Janet
My son's neighbour (millionaire crook) has a wonderful man-made fishing
lake...
Drifting a bit... I recently used "fake lake" elsewhere, and some people
hadn't seen it and couldn't figure it out. (The context wasn't helpful.)
Do people here know that phrase?
I never saw it before, and I'm not sure whether I'd figure it out myself.
--
Mark Brader |"I am at a loss to figure a good reason why it was done.
Toronto | In fact I cannot think of a bad reason either!"
***@vex.net | --Joe Brennan
Mark Brader
2021-04-13 20:56:04 UTC
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game
(Insert wisecrack about Americans and guns here.)
Post by Tony Cooper
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Nice!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Most people are other people. Their thoughts
***@vex.net | are someone else's opinions..." --Oscar Wilde
Jerry Friedman
2021-04-13 20:58:08 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Lovely. Looks like "golden hour" light.
2021-04-13 21:00:43 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Nice photo! I'm a bit puzzled though. You say you shot this at night
while photographing a lacross game? The photo does not look like a night
shot. The background looks ... sky blue.
Tony Cooper
2021-04-13 21:37:56 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Nice photo! I'm a bit puzzled though. You say you shot this at night
while photographing a lacross game? The photo does not look like a night
shot. The background looks ... sky blue.
The photograph was taken at 7:44 PM EDT. The lacrosse game started at
7:00 PM. The EXIF data shows 6:44 PM, but the camera isn't set for
EDT. It stays daylight here until sometime just after 8 PM this time
of year. The drop from daylight to dark can be rather sudden.

At the time this shot was taken, the playing field would have been in
heavy shadow (it sits roughly North/South) and the bleachers on the
west side of the field cast shadows on the field. The sky's bright,
though.

I start photographing a 7:00 PM game at ISO 200 and 1/500th. This
shot was at ISO 400, so I had boosted my ISO to compensate for the
shadowed field.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Lewis
2021-04-13 23:33:20 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Nice photo! I'm a bit puzzled though. You say you shot this at night
while photographing a lacross game? The photo does not look like a night
shot. The background looks ... sky blue.
What time is sunset in Orlando right now? 8pm or so?

I'd call that night.
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Wuh, I think so, Brain, but if we didn't have ears, we'd look like
weasels."
Tony Cooper
2021-04-13 23:52:58 UTC
On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 23:33:20 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
Nice photo! I'm a bit puzzled though. You say you shot this at night
while photographing a lacross game? The photo does not look like a night
shot. The background looks ... sky blue.
What time is sunset in Orlando right now? 8pm or so?
I'd call that night.
It is 7:45 PM as I write this, almost exactly 24 hours after I shot
that photo. Sunset is at 7:50.

As I look out the window, it's almost dark at ground level, but if I
took a photograph with the camera aimed at the sky it would be about
the color as yesterday's shot of the osprey. However, my view from
this window is to the northwest. My photo was shot to the southeast.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Janet
2021-04-14 12:17:05 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, tonycooper214
@gmail.com says...
Post by Tony Cooper
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
What an amazing shot, thanks for showing us.

2021-05-04 06:29:11 UTC
OK, it's off-topic, but we have at least one bird-watcher here.
Last night I was shooting my grandson's lacrosse game and happened to
look up and see this osprey flying overhead. It's trailing a clump of
Spanish Moss that will be used for nest material.
Not as in-focus as I'd like, but it was a situation where I just
lifted the camera, tried to find the osprey in the viewfinder, and
fired off a shot.
https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/i-PHqXT5X/0/68890640/O/2021-04-12-0.jpg
For the amusement of some, here's a view from the East Coast (Merritt
Island). Some regurgitation may be involved.

"I am not given to exaggeration, and when I say a thing I mean it"
_Roughing It_, Mark Twain
CDB
2021-05-04 11:04:38 UTC
Post by Snidely
Island). Some regurgitation may be involved.
http://youtu.be/z6d2zjw5CXA
Two hours? I throw up my hands.

Here is a song for our birdwatchers, about the Belbird/Pajaro campana/
Pajaro choguy. This one seems to be Procnias albus:

ObPlainitivity: lascia ch'io pianga
Snidely
2021-05-06 17:55:31 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Snidely
Island). Some regurgitation may be involved.
http://youtu.be/z6d2zjw5CXA
Two hours? I throw up my hands.
You don't have to watch two hours to get to the feathered part. And
you don't have to stay for the post-feathered part. The t= is
basically a book mark (F).
Post by Snidely
Here is a song for our birdwatchers, about the Belbird/Pajaro campana/
http://youtu.be/2z0w3nGhmIA
The presence of this syntax results from the fact that SQLite is really
a Tcl extension that has escaped into the wild.
<http://www.sqlite.org/lang_expr.html>
CDB
2021-05-06 20:12:04 UTC
Post by Snidely
Post by Snidely
Post by Snidely
Island). Some regurgitation may be involved.
http://youtu.be/z6d2zjw5CXA
Two hours? I throw up my hands.
You don't have to watch two hours to get to the feathered part. And
you don't have to stay for the post-feathered part. The t= is
basically a book mark (F).
Thanks. I knew that, but my subconscious may have decided to trick me
into posting. It'll do anything for a joke.
Post by Snidely
Post by Snidely
Here is a song for our birdwatchers, about the Belbird/Pajaro
http://youtu.be/2z0w3nGhmIA
That was a Paraguay Purahei. I still haven't figured out what "purahei"
means in Guarani -- maybe something like "down-home"?