why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation of "full"?
2020-02-14 02:37:12 UTC

0.14

Is it hyper RP or something?
Spains Harden
2020-02-14 15:32:03 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"

I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their normal
manner.

http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
s***@gmail.com
2020-02-14 16:22:46 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"
I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their normal
manner.
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
I see - a hotel owner is asked "are you full" and he says three times "no we are not full" with exaggerated emphasis on "full" and it is not parody.

got it.
Spains Harden
2020-02-14 16:37:38 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"
I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their normal
manner.
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
I see - a hotel owner is asked "are you full" and he says three times "no we are not full" with exaggerated emphasis on "full" and it is not parody.
got it.
He is just being his usual obnoxious self. The next excerpt of the rat
episode has: "You are getting my gander up you grotty little man!"
That's talking posh in England.

s***@gmail.com
2020-02-14 19:50:06 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"
I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their normal
manner.
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
I see - a hotel owner is asked "are you full" and he says three times "no we are not full" with exaggerated emphasis on "full" and it is not parody.
got it.
He is just being his usual obnoxious self. The next excerpt of the rat
episode has: "You are getting my gander up you grotty little man!"
That's talking posh in England.
http://youtu.be/K_q4S7lZeik
according to the oxford learners dictionary

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/full_1?q=full

the BrE pronunciation holds the [f] far longer than NAmE. Perhaps Fawlty picked up on that in his lordship's pronunciation, compared to non-RP BrE.
Spains Harden
2020-02-14 21:32:55 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
They are both actors and can turn on any accent they might choose.
Cleese's French is my favourite:

Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2020-02-15 15:08:25 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
[...]
Consider this BrE pronunciation:
https://www.lexico.com/definition/full
2020-02-15 19:24:49 UTC
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 08:37:38 -0800 (PST), Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"
I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their normal
manner.
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
I see - a hotel owner is asked "are you full" and he says three times "no we are not full" with exaggerated emphasis on "full" and it is not parody.
got it.
He is just being his usual obnoxious self.
Yes. The conversation, like the rest of the show, is spoken for comedic
effect.
If there is any parody it is of the style of a real hotel owner John
Cleese and Connie Booth had seen in action and whose behaviour inspired
the creation of Fawlty Towers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers#Origins

A definition of "parody" is:

An imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre
with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

I'm not sure that they needed to exaggerate the real hotel owner's
behaviour. It was probably just a matter of creating a comical version
of it.

And a general point about BrE (and other) accents - there are many. And
pronunciation varies between people speaking in nominally the same
accent. If it didn't vary we couldn't recognise someone by his/her
voice.
s***@gowanhill.com
2020-02-17 19:43:34 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com
I see - a hotel owner is asked "are you full" and he says three times
"no we are not full" with exaggerated emphasis on "full" and it is not parody.
It's not parody, it's incredulity.

Fawlty Towers is not the sort of hotel that is ever full. Basil knows this, and cannot understand why anyone would ever think that Fawlty Towers is full.

Owain

CDB
2020-02-15 14:38:00 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"
I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their
normal manner.
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
Basil (not a natural poshophone) does try for RP as a general rule.

If he was mocking the new arrival, it must have been for his choice of
the word "full" instead of "booked up", or something more suitable that
I haven't thought of. Can BrEophones elucidate?
s***@gmail.com
2020-02-15 16:31:54 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by s***@gmail.com
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
0.14
Is it hyper RP or something?
You ask, "Why is Basil Fawlty parodying Lord Melbray's pronunciation
of 'full'?"
I don't hear it as a parody; both men pronounce the word in their
normal manner.
http://youtu.be/eSaWiPtCJ7w
Basil (not a natural poshophone) does try for RP as a general rule.
If he was mocking the new arrival, it must have been for his choice of
the word "full" instead of "booked up", or something more suitable that
I haven't thought of. Can BrEophones elucidate?
can you get stupider, Customer Data Base? whats more natural than "full" to describe a hotel that had no vacancies? the typically ugly American "sold out"?
Sheesh.
Spains Harden
2020-02-14 16:19:40 UTC
Post by s***@gmail.com