US Politics
2021-01-20 21:07:08 UTC
In November 2016 I posted to AUE as follows: Pray for us
we have just elected Donald Trump President of the
United States.

Your prayers probably helped. Assured by the number of troops
in the Capital I went to bed early and slept in. Today at noon
Biden and Roberts said the right things to each other and then
they all joined arms and marched off down Pennsylvania Avenue
singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead". Well they didn't
actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?
Kerr-Mudd,John
2021-01-20 21:23:31 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
In November 2016 I posted to AUE as follows: Pray for us
we have just elected Donald Trump President of the
United States.
Your prayers probably helped. Assured by the number of troops
in the Capital I went to bed early and slept in. Today at noon
Biden and Roberts said the right things to each other and then
they all joined arms and marched off down Pennsylvania Avenue
singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead". Well they didn't
actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?
Was Air Force 1 deployed to remove the incumbent? ITWSBT.

ITWSBT = I Think We Should Be Told. Furrfu.
2021-01-21 17:01:39 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by David Kleinecke
In November 2016 I posted to AUE as follows: Pray for us
we have just elected Donald Trump President of the
United States.
Your prayers probably helped. Assured by the number of troops
in the Capital I went to bed early and slept in. Today at noon
Biden and Roberts said the right things to each other and then
they all joined arms and marched off down Pennsylvania Avenue
singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead". Well they didn't
actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?
Was Air Force 1 deployed to remove the incumbent? ITWSBT.
ONLY because it fled the city early in the morning. Took Marine 1
(the helicopter) to Andrews Joint Base (used to be called Andrews
Air Force Base) and flew to some non-undisclosed location down
South.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2021-01-21 18:50:42 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 09:01:39 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by David Kleinecke
In November 2016 I posted to AUE as follows: Pray for us
we have just elected Donald Trump President of the
United States.
Your prayers probably helped. Assured by the number of troops
in the Capital I went to bed early and slept in. Today at noon
Biden and Roberts said the right things to each other and then
they all joined arms and marched off down Pennsylvania Avenue
singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead". Well they didn't
actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?
Was Air Force 1 deployed to remove the incumbent? ITWSBT.
ONLY because it fled the city early in the morning. Took Marine 1
(the helicopter) to Andrews Joint Base (used to be called Andrews
Air Force Base) and flew to some non-undisclosed location down
South.
It is officially "Joint Base Andrews" (JBA).
https://www.jba.af.mil/
2021-01-22 05:47:42 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by David Kleinecke
In November 2016 I posted to AUE as follows: Pray for us
we have just elected Donald Trump President of the
United States.
Your prayers probably helped. Assured by the number of troops
in the Capital I went to bed early and slept in. Today at noon
Biden and Roberts said the right things to each other and then
they all joined arms and marched off down Pennsylvania Avenue
singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead". Well they didn't
actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?
Was Air Force 1 deployed to remove the incumbent? ITWSBT.
ONLY because it fled the city early in the morning. Took Marine 1
(the helicopter) to Andrews Joint Base (used to be called Andrews
Air Force Base) and flew to some non-undisclosed location down
South.
It is officially "Joint Base Andrews" (JBA).
https://www.jba.af.mil/
Was the name change because of the legalisation of marijuana?
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2021-01-20 22:05:49 UTC
Post by David Kleinecke
In November 2016 I posted to AUE as follows: Pray for us
we have just elected Donald Trump President of the
United States.
Your prayers probably helped. Assured by the number of troops
in the Capital I went to bed early and slept in. Today at noon
Biden and Roberts said the right things to each other and then
they all joined arms and marched off down Pennsylvania Avenue
singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead". Well they didn't
actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?
They were probably all humming along to the tune, but made sure the
microphones couldn't pick it up.
Wales, UK
michael dasilva
When Drumpf and Melanoma boarded the plane it was known as Air Force 1. Immediately after Joe and Kamala were sworn in as well president and vice president, air traffic controllers changed the designation to "JailBird 1". It will now be fumigated as the White House had to be. Can't get the piss stains out, though.
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-01-21 08:30:58 UTC
Post by michael dasilva
On 20-Jan-21 21:07, David Kleinecke wrote:> > In November 2016 I posted
to AUE as follows: Pray for us> > we have just elected Donald Trump
President of the> > United States.> >> > Your prayers probably helped.
Assured by the number of troops> > in the Capital I went to bed early
and slept in. Today at noon> > Biden and Roberts said the right things
to each other and then> > they all joined arms and marched off down
Pennsylvania Avenue> > singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead".
Well they didn't> > actually do that but I can imagine, can't I?> >
They were probably all humming along to the tune, but made sure the>
microphones couldn't pick it up.>> --> Sam Plusnet> Wales, UK
When Drumpf and Melanoma boarded the plane it was known as Air Force 1.
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady, they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.

On the other hand we did get to hear Lady Gaga, in the most ghastly
dress I've ever seen, singing something or other.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
Ken Blake
2021-01-21 14:40:25 UTC
Post by michael dasilva
[...]
I had never seen or heard her before. To my great surprise, I thought
she sang well.
2021-01-22 05:50:58 UTC
On the other hand we did get to hear Lady Gaga, in the most ghastly
dress I've ever seen, singing something or other.
I had never seen or heard her before. To my great surprise, I thought
she sang well.
I noticed that nobody sang with her. Here, that would be considered
unpatriotic.
Peter Moylan Newcastle, NSW
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2021-01-22 11:10:23 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 16:50:58 +1100, Peter Moylan
On the other hand we did get to hear Lady Gaga, in the most ghastly
dress I've ever seen, singing something or other.
I had never seen or heard her before. To my great surprise, I thought
she sang well.
I noticed that nobody sang with her. Here, that would be considered
unpatriotic.
My impression is that the tune isn't really crowd-friendly. It needs a
skilled solo singer.
2021-01-22 14:40:35 UTC
On the other hand we did get to hear Lady Gaga, in the most ghastly
dress I've ever seen, singing something or other.
Oh please, I've seen hundreds of worse dresses. Hell, I've seen Lady
Gaga in worse dresses.
I had never seen or heard her before. To my great surprise, I thought
she sang well.
She's a very food performer. The first time I saw her was on the Royal
Variety show (I'd heard of her and heard some of bits of her music
before that, but that was the first time I saw her). It was a weird
performance, but also brilliant. But part of her shtick is being
unusual and provocative.

(that is a worse dress, btw).

Yep, still weird (she and her piano are suspended above the stage) but
her performance is still amazing.

She's performed for Brenda II several times, including at the Diamond
Jubilee and at least one other Royal Variety.

(I did not see this performance and don't know when it was, but it's a
much better dress, not as good a song though, I don't think.)

This is her outfit for "America the Beautiful" at a recent Super Bowl,
also a worse dress, I think. If you can call it a dress?

Like all Super Bowl halftime shows not featuring Prince, it's a pretty
damn silly show.
Post by Peter Moylan
I noticed that nobody sang with her. Here, that would be considered
unpatriotic.
I did not watch the event¹, but it is rare in the US for a crowd to sing
along with a professional singer.

¹ I've watched some clips, but not of the musical performances. I
overheard a bit of someone singing "America the Beautiful" from the
next room, I think.
--
Han : Not a bad bit of rescuing, huh? You know, sometimes I amaze
even myself.
Leia: That doesn't sound too hard.
Jerry Friedman
2021-01-21 15:30:38 UTC
On Thursday, January 21, 2021 at 1:31:03 AM UTC-7, Athel Cornish-Bowden wrote:

[the Trumps]
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady, they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.

No attack on another country, no bargaining for immunity, no pardon of
himself or his immediate family, no resignation, no military coup, no martial
law, no Supreme Court decision favoring him--a lot of things didn't happen,
some of which I thought might.
2021-01-21 15:54:00 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 07:30:38 -0800 (PST), Jerry Friedman
Post by Jerry Friedman
[the Trumps]
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady, they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.
No attack on another country, no bargaining for immunity, no pardon of
himself or his immediate family, no resignation, no military coup, no martial
law, no Supreme Court decision favoring him--a lot of things didn't happen,
some of which I thought might.
I have been reading the several news reports I subscribe to. So far,
fashion and the arts are getting as much coverage as violence and
dissention.

There have been articles on the color purple worn by various ladies,
the coat that Kamala's niece designed and wore, that American black
designers were represented by their outfits on the famous, Bernie's
mittens, and the young poetess.

(Ah...a choice, there, to use the non-gender-specific "poet" or the
unwoke "poetess". There's me, stuck in the past again.)
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Peter T. Daniels
2021-01-21 17:10:00 UTC
I have been reading the several news reports I subscribe to. So far,
fashion and the arts are getting as much coverage as violence and
dissention.
Um, maybe because the former pair existed, and the latter pair didn't?

This morning the BBC had found some dissenters, in Austin.
There have been articles on the color purple worn by various ladies,
the coat that Kamala's niece designed and wore, that American black
designers were represented by their outfits on the famous, Bernie's
mittens, and the young poetess.
Calvin Klein dressed both the President and the Second Gentleman,
WCBS-TV informed us.
Yup, never skip an opportunity to be offensive!
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2021-01-22 00:17:51 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
[...]
She is female, black and the youngest known inaugural poet.

Oops! Sexism, racism, and ageism.
I thought her poem was more about black power than national unity.
Tony Cooper
2021-01-22 02:48:59 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
[...]
I suspect that whomever would be offended by my use of "poetess" as
PTD has claimed, would or should be equally offended by your use of
"She".

Followed to the extreme of not causing offense, a sentence could be
written that would result in no one having a clue about who the
subject is.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Jerry Friedman
2021-01-22 03:31:08 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
[...]

It was sometime in the late '70s that one of my English teachers, a man,
suggested that I didn't need to use the word "poetess". Do try to keep up.
2021-01-22 14:19:50 UTC
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 10:54:00 -0500, Tony Cooper
She is female, black and the youngest known inaugural poet.
Oops! Sexism, racism, and ageism.
None of these.
Post by Mack A. Damia
I suspect that whomever would be offended by my use of "poetess" as
PTD has claimed, would or should be equally offended by your use of
"She".
She depends on what she prefers. AFAIK, she has no objection to 'she.'

Poetess is just a useless word, always has been, has rarely been used,
and I suspect she would not like being called a not-poet-but-a-poetess.

I haven't head anyone say poetess in a long long time. I've never heard
Emily Dickinson referred to as a poetess. It strikes me as a very old
fashioned word, even more so than aviatrix, and pilots are still
overwhelmingly male.

Even google's ngram, with all its flaws, show poetess as a flat line
very near to 0 for the last 200 years. (for the most recent data poet is
at .002 and poetess is at .000016, so poet is more than 100 times as
common).
Post by Mack A. Damia
Followed to the extreme of not causing offense, a sentence could be
written that would result in no one having a clue about who the
subject is.
That's just not true.

A tiny bit of consideration (also know as manners) is all that is
required.
--
"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language.
Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
Peter T. Daniels
2021-01-22 17:03:51 UTC
Post by Tony Cooper
(Ah...a choice, there, to use the non-gender-specific "poet" or the
unwoke "poetess". There's me, stuck in the past again.)
She is female, black and the youngest known inaugural poet.
Oops! Sexism, racism, and ageism.
Why youngest _known_? There have only been six (starting
with Frost/JFK) -- and only at Democratic inaugurations.

I was able to buy a nicely produced booklet of Maya Angelou's
a few days after January 20, 1993. B&N says this one will be
available on April 27. (And a volume of collected poems including
this one, later in the year.)

Her gestures were intriguing, and also the rap-inspired near-rhymes
Ken Blake
2021-01-22 15:38:58 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
[...]
I watched the inauguration, so I saw and heard her. When she was
introduced, I thought she was going to recite or read a poem she had
written, but when she started I thought she was instead delivering a
speech. By the time she finished, I was convinced that it was a speech,
not a poem.

Yes, I know today's poetry is not what it use to be, but I still have a
hard time accepting that as some kind of poetry.
2021-01-22 17:40:21 UTC
Post by Jerry Friedman
[...]
And you O my soul where you stand, surrounded, detached, in measureless
oceans of space, ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the
spheres to connect them, till the bridge you will need be form’d, till
the ductile anchor hold, till the gossamer thread you fling catch
somewhere, O my soul.
Post by Ken Blake
Yes, I know today's poetry is not what it use to be, but I still have a
hard time accepting that as some kind of poetry.
Yep, today's poetry ain't what it once was, right? FSVO of "today's", of
course.
FRIDAYS ARE NOT "PANTS OPTIONAL" Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF23
Peter T. Daniels
2021-01-22 21:53:51 UTC
I watched the inauguration, so I saw and heard her. When she was
introduced, I thought she was going to recite or read a poem she had
written, but when she started I thought she was instead delivering a
speech. By the time she finished, I was convinced that it was a speech,
not a poem.
Yes, I know today's poetry is not what it use to be, but I still have a
hard time accepting that as some kind of poetry.
Sheesh. Modern poetry is often taken to begin with Baudelaire
and Whitman. Both are from long before even Blake was alive.
Sam Plusnet
2021-01-21 20:59:52 UTC
[the Trumps]
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady, they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.
No attack on another country, no bargaining for immunity, no pardon of
himself or his immediate family, no resignation, no military coup, no martial
law, no Supreme Court decision favoring him--a lot of things didn't happen,
some of which I thought might.
I read one suggestion that there is no requirement in law for a pardon
to be made public.
If not publicised, the first one would hear of it would if/when the
pardonee was charged with some federal crime.

A hidden "Get out of Jail Free" card.
Wales, UK
J. J. Lodder
2021-01-21 21:10:30 UTC
[...]
That would not be good enough, for it can only be used once...

2021-01-21 22:09:16 UTC
[...]
Accepting a pardon requires the pardonee to admit to the crime
charged. For those already incarcerated, this is presumably an
empty requirement, but if there had been any "prospective pardons,"
such as Ford's of Nixon and Reagan's of many Iran-Contra figures,
it could have been awkward if they were subsequently charged
with crimes.
Tony Cooper
2021-01-21 22:41:08 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:09:16 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
[...]
Has Steve Bannon admitted to his alleged crimes? I thought he pled
"Not guilty".

He's on the pardon list.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Peter T. Daniels
2021-01-22 16:59:51 UTC
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:09:16 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
I read one suggestion that there is no requirement in law for a pardon
to be made public.
If not publicised, the first one would hear of it would if/when the
pardonee was charged with some federal crime.
A hidden "Get out of Jail Free" card.
Accepting a pardon requires the pardonee to admit to the crime
charged.
Has Steve Bannon admitted to his alleged crimes? I thought he pled
"Not guilty".
He's on the pardon list.
Has he accepted the pardon?

t**** mostly bypassed the Office of the Pardon Attorney, which normally
sifts through the thousands of requests and presumably doesn't recommend
anyone who hasn't actually been convicted or sentenced (pardon and clemency
respectively).
Tony Cooper
2021-01-22 21:16:12 UTC
On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:59:51 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:09:16 -0800 (PST), "Peter T. Daniels"
I read one suggestion that there is no requirement in law for a pardon
to be made public.
If not publicised, the first one would hear of it would if/when the
pardonee was charged with some federal crime.
A hidden "Get out of Jail Free" card.
Accepting a pardon requires the pardonee to admit to the crime
charged.
Has Steve Bannon admitted to his alleged crimes? I thought he pled
"Not guilty".
He's on the pardon list.
Has he accepted the pardon?
Accepted it? The fucker probably grabbed it, slithered back to that
Chinese-owned yacht, and made 10,000 copies of it with his name
blanked out. The plan is to sell the copies to inmates of
white-collar prisons so they can fill in their name where Bannon's
was. For a price. A steep one.

He's also doing a deal with Alex Jones at "Infowars" to peddle copies
online to the Proud Boys and members of the Oath Keepers along with a
manual on how to delete tweets of selfies taken in Capitol Building
showing them pissing on Nancy Pelosi's laptop.
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Arindam Banerjee
2021-01-21 21:24:35 UTC
[the Trumps]
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady, they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.
No attack on another country, no bargaining for immunity, no pardon of
himself or his immediate family, no resignation, no military coup, no martial
law, no Supreme Court decision favoring him--a lot of things didn't happen,
some of which I thought might.
Like so many others who lie for their living. Trump is an honest man unlike his detractors.
Honest people have no place in politics.
Arindam Banerjee
2021-01-23 05:23:46 UTC
Post by Arindam Banerjee
Post by Jerry Friedman
[the Trumps]
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady, they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.
No attack on another country, no bargaining for immunity, no pardon of
himself or his immediate family, no resignation, no military coup, no martial
law, no Supreme Court decision favoring him--a lot of things didn't happen,
some of which I thought might.
Like so many others who lie for their living. Trump is an honest man unlike his detractors.
Honest people have no place in politics.
The Deep State rejoices. The Washington Swamp mosquitoes are out on full buzz, on parade. Whose blood to suck? The pseudoscientists and academics are in glee - happy old times are back! The warmongers are rubbing their hands in anticipation - whom to bomb?
2021-01-21 17:06:31 UTC
Post by michael dasilva
When Drumpf and Melanoma boarded the plane it was known as Air Force 1.
The "Drumpf" story may not be true. Andrea Bernstein doesn't mention it in
*American Oligarchs*, which takes the trump and Kushner families back
four generations to their European origins.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
I had a fantasy that when they arrived in Florida, no longer as
President and First Lady,
That didn't happen. It was early in the morning.
Post by Athel Cornish-Bowden
they would be greeted by a team of armed FBI
agents who would put Trump in an orange jumpsuit and take him off to an
unknown destination, with Melania shipped off to Slovenia. Alas, it
didn't happen.
On the other hand we did get to hear Lady Gaga, in the most ghastly
dress I've ever seen, singing something or other.
Clearly you have not been observing her fashion choices over the years.

I wonder how long she's been regretting her youthful choice of stage name.
Her Oscars tribute to Julie Andrews (on the 50th anniversary of Sound of
Music) and her duets album with Tony Bennett revealed that she is a real
singer of great technique and talent (as was again obvious yesterday).