A usage of the word "sleepers"
Add Reply
Paul Epstein
2021-03-09 22:26:06 UTC
I don't know of any usage of the word "sleepers" that makes it a fitting title
for the movie of the same name -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepers

Why was the Sleepers movie called "Sleepers"?
How does the title make sense?

Thank you.

Paul Epstein
Peter T. Daniels
I guess you just have to see the movie.
Paul Epstein
2021-03-09 23:28:32 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
I don't know of any usage of the word "sleepers" that makes it a fitting title
for the movie of the same name -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepers
Why was the Sleepers movie called "Sleepers"?
How does the title make sense?
I guess you just have to see the movie.
I have seen the movie.

Paul Epstein
Stefan Ram
2021-03-09 23:07:08 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
Why was the Sleepers movie called "Sleepers"?
How does the title make sense?
|Sleeper (colloq.): 1. out-of-town hit man who spends the
|night after a local contract is completed. 2. A juvenile
|sentenced to serve any period longer than nine months in
|a state-managed facility.

The figures are sentenced to 18 months (in the book).

My own idea at first was that after leaving the prison
they "sleep" a long time (like agents) before they get
their revenge.

The quotation might be from the book, not from a real
dictionary. It might be fictional. Or it might be real,
but obscure, slang.
Stefan Ram
2021-03-09 23:39:46 UTC
Supersedes: <sleeper-***@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
[figures->characters]
Post by Paul Epstein
Why was the Sleepers movie called "Sleepers"?
How does the title make sense?
|Sleeper (colloq.): 1. out-of-town hit man who spends the
|night after a local contract is completed. 2. A juvenile
|sentenced to serve any period longer than nine months in
|a state-managed facility.

The characters are sentenced to 18 months (in the book).

but obscure, slang.
Lewis
2021-03-09 23:48:38 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
I don't know of any usage of the word "sleepers" that makes it a
fitting title for the movie of the same name --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepers
The first question, of course, is "Have you seen the movie?"
--
He [Rincewind] wondered how old the tower really was. Older than the
University, certainly. Older than the city, which had formed
geography.
Paul Epstein
2021-03-10 00:12:02 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
I don't know of any usage of the word "sleepers" that makes it a
fitting title for the movie of the same name --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleepers
The first question, of course, is "Have you seen the movie?"
I agree that that is a question but I'd prefer it if people contributing to this thread varied the

In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and simply read my response to Peter Daniels?

Thank you,

Paul Epstein
Mark Brader
2021-03-10 00:22:21 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and simply
read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
--
Mark Brader | "The problem with waiting for a 'smoking gun' is
Toronto | that it means the gun has already been fired."
***@vex.net | --Michael Chance
Paul Epstein
2021-03-10 07:28:54 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and simply
read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
--
Mark Brader | "The problem with waiting for a 'smoking gun' is
Toronto | that it means the gun has already been fired."
Ok, I'll revise my request.
Please refrain from repeating the question of whether I've seen the movie.

Paul Epstein
Lewis
2021-03-10 09:01:39 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and simply
read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
--
Mark Brader | "The problem with waiting for a 'smoking gun' is
Toronto | that it means the gun has already been fired."
Ok, I'll revise my request.
Please refrain from repeating the question of whether I've seen the movie.
It's the most relevant question and as far as I know you haven't
answered it.

Good luck!
I WILL NOT CALL MY TEACHER "HOT CAKES" Bart chalkboard Ep. 7G10
Paul Epstein
2021-03-10 09:08:31 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and simply
read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
--
Mark Brader | "The problem with waiting for a 'smoking gun' is
Toronto | that it means the gun has already been fired."
Ok, I'll revise my request.
Please refrain from repeating the question of whether I've seen the movie.
It's the most relevant question and as far as I know you haven't
answered it.
Yes, but "as far as [you] know" is actually extremely near because you haven't bothered to read
all my postings on this thread.

Paul Epstein
Pamela
2021-03-10 10:07:53 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and
simply read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
Why would anyone read a reply to Peter T. Daniel's trolls?

I killfile his asinine posts.
Paul Epstein
2021-03-10 10:12:39 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and
simply read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
Why would anyone read a reply to Peter T. Daniel's trolls?
I killfile his asinine posts.
Actually, on this particular thread, his reply is hugely better than
anyone else's reply to my question (so far).

Paul
Pamela
2021-03-10 10:29:27 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
Post by Pamela
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and
simply read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
Why would anyone read a reply to Peter T. Daniel's trolls?
I killfile his asinine posts.
Actually, on this particular thread, his reply is hugely better than
anyone else's reply to my question (so far).
Paul
What PTD has to say of value doesn't outweigh the problems caused by
his trolling.

I find it's better to ignore everything he posts. On the other hand,
you have a question and may prefer to put up with his imbecility.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-03-10 14:18:01 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Paul Epstein
Post by Pamela
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and
simply read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
Why would anyone read a reply to Peter T. Daniel's trolls?
I killfile his asinine posts.
Actually, on this particular thread, his reply is hugely better than
anyone else's reply to my question (so far).
What PTD has to say of value doesn't outweigh the problems caused by
his trolling.
I find it's better to ignore everything he posts.
The perpetual question: HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT?
CDB
That prompts a fresh question: have you read Stephan Ram's reply by now?
Peter T. Daniels
2021-03-10 14:16:29 UTC
Post by Pamela
Post by Mark Brader
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and
simply read my response to Peter Daniels?
Why would people ever read responses to Peter Daniels?
Why would anyone read a reply to Peter T. Daniel's trolls?
Um,. there's no such person?
Post by Pamela
I killfile his asinine posts.
How do you distinguish any "asinine" ones there may happen to be
from the vast majority of them?
Peter T. Daniels
2021-03-10 14:14:00 UTC
Because they[re more sensible than you.
Lewis
2021-03-10 03:29:42 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
In future, could people refrain from repeating this question and
simply read my response to Peter Daniels?
Sorry, but not a chance in hell. I do not read any of Petey's posts or
any replies to his posts.
--
Everything that was magical was just a way of describing the world in
words it couldn't ignore.
Peter T. Daniels