Cowdfunding
2019-12-03 10:58:46 UTC
I've just read something saying

Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target

Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Spains Harden
Crowdfunding. Whatever is "orking"?
BugHunter
2019-12-03 11:38:50 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Peter Moylan
I've just read something saying
Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target
Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Crowdfunding. Whatever is "orking"?
A pig.
--
\ / http://nieuwsgroepen.tk
-------------///----------------------------------
/ \ Bye, BugHunter
Spains Harden
2019-12-03 11:39:21 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Peter Moylan
I've just read something saying
Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target
Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Crowdfunding. Whatever is "orking"?
I can answer my own question:

orking. of animals: thrusting one's snout into a camera's lens when
your photograph is taken, resulting in a fish-eye view where the nose
appears disproportionately large...

<https://definithing.com/orking/>
Quinn C
2019-12-03 17:21:13 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
orking. of animals: thrusting one's snout into a camera's lens when
your photograph is taken, resulting in a fish-eye view where the nose
appears disproportionately large...
<https://definithing.com/orking/>
I assume that's where you publish your invented words and meanings when
they get thrown out even from Urban Dictionary.
My pronouns are they/them
(or other gender-neutral ones)
Spains Harden
2019-12-03 17:45:36 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
orking. of animals: thrusting one's snout into a camera's lens when
your photograph is taken, resulting in a fish-eye view where the nose
appears disproportionately large...
<https://definithing.com/orking/>
I assume that's where you publish your invented words and meanings when
they get thrown out even from Urban Dictionary.
Peter Moylan invented that word so I suggest you ask him. Athel is
suggesting it originates from Miss Hyphenation.
Peter Moylan
2019-12-04 01:00:24 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Quinn C
Post by Spains Harden
orking. of animals: thrusting one's snout into a camera's lens
when your photograph is taken, resulting in a fish-eye view where
the nose appears disproportionately large...
<https://definithing.com/orking/>
I assume that's where you publish your invented words and meanings
when they get thrown out even from Urban Dictionary.
Peter Moylan invented that word so I suggest you ask him. Athel is
suggesting it originates from Miss Hyphenation.
I certainly did not invent it. If you go through old AUE posts you will
find coworkers mentioned numerous times.
attrib. Scott Adams
Richard Heathfield
2019-12-03 11:40:07 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Peter Moylan
I've just read something saying
Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target
Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Crowdfunding. Whatever is "orking"?
Two examples should suffice:

Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2019-12-03 11:48:44 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Peter Moylan
I've just read something saying
Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target
Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Crowdfunding.
You don't seriously suppose Peter doesn't know that?
Post by Spains Harden
Whatever is "orking"?
As in cow-orkers.
2019-12-03 13:35:32 UTC
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Peter Moylan
I've just read something saying
Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target
Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Crowdfunding. Whatever is "orking"?
Presumably what cow-orkers do.
Peter Duncanson [BrE]
2019-12-04 00:25:18 UTC
On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 03:23:18 -0800 (PST), Spains Harden
Post by Spains Harden
Post by Peter Moylan
I've just read something saying
Over $10,000 needed
to make our cowdfunding target
Initially I read that long word as "cowdunging", but I now think it must
be something to do with orking.
Crowdfunding. Whatever is "orking"?
In one sense it is the result of verbing the noun "ork" as defined
below.

OED:

ork, n.2
Etymology: Shortened < orchestra n.

slang (originally and chiefly U.S.).

An orchestra; spec. a jazz or dance band.
1933 Brevities (N.Y.) 24 Apr. 5/1 Joe Haymes' Nut Club ork..has
been compelled to take on a few Noo Yawk musicians.
1988 Wire Mag. Apr. 66/1 His strained tenor..is not an appealing
sound despite the high quality of the orks..which back him.
2019-12-06 09:41:30 UTC
Peter Duncanson [BrE] speculated:

[...]
Post by Peter Duncanson [BrE]
1988 Wire Mag. Apr. 66/1 His strained tenor..is not an appealing
sound despite the high quality of the orks..which back him.
I can guess the are talking about LP, known for having overworked his
voice in his middle period, and who appeared with internationally
acclaimed orks.
[I haven't seen that word used thusly before. In my experience,
shortening "orchesta" (for, say, The Royal Philharmonic) would be done
with "band" (e.g., "Beecham's band")]

/dps "at least he wasn't singing with orcs"
--
Ieri, oggi, domani