for as long as
Add Reply
hongy...@gmail.com
2021-04-04 02:14:04 UTC
The following description is taken from <https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/blockdev.8.html>:

--setbsz bytes
Set blocksize. Note that the block size is specific to the
current file descriptor opening the block device, so the
change of block size only persists for as long as blockdev
has the device open, and is lost once blockdev exits.

I'm not sure if the *for as long as ...* part used above is correct or not. Any hints will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
HY
Mark Brader
2021-04-04 02:36:34 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
The following description is taken from
--setbsz bytes
Set blocksize. Note that the block size is specific to the
current file descriptor opening the block device, so the
change of block size only persists for as long as blockdev
has the device open, and is lost once blockdev exits.
I'm not sure if the *for as long as ...* part used above is correct or
not.
It's fine as far as I'm concerned.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
***@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew
Chrysi Cat
2021-04-04 02:56:59 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
--setbsz bytes
Set blocksize. Note that the block size is specific to the
current file descriptor opening the block device, so the
change of block size only persists for as long as blockdev
has the device open, and is lost once blockdev exits.
I'm not sure if the *for as long as ...* part used above is correct or not. Any hints will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
HY
The writer MAY be able to remove the "for", though I'm not entirely
sure. Otherwise, I'm in agreement with Mark: "as long as" is used in
EXACTLY this circumstance.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger. [she/her. Misgender and die].
Oğuz
I think "... the change of block size persists as long as blockdev has ..." would be clearer.
Lewis
2021-04-04 11:18:41 UTC
Post by Oğuz
Post by ***@gmail.com
--setbsz bytes
Set blocksize. Note that the block size is specific to the
current file descriptor opening the block device, so the
change of block size only persists for as long as blockdev
has the device open, and is lost once blockdev exits.
I think "... the change of block size persists as long as blockdev has
..." would be clearer.
I don't. The only there emphasizes the fact the block size is only
different when blockdev has the device open, and that emphasis aids in
making the transient nature of the change clear.
--
CURSIVE WRITING DOES NOT MEAN WHAT I THINK IT DOES Bart chalkboard
Ep. 2F11
Eric Walker
2021-04-04 05:46:30 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
The following description is taken from
--setbsz bytes
Set blocksize. Note that the block size is specific to the
current file descriptor opening the block device, so the
change of block size only persists for as long as blockdev
has the device open, and is lost once blockdev exits.
I'm not sure if the *for as long as ...* part used above is correct or
not. Any hints will be highly appreciated.
It's fine.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
Dingbat
2021-04-04 08:27:20 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
--setbsz bytes
Set blocksize. Note that the block size is specific to the
current file descriptor opening the block device, so the
change of block size only persists for as long as blockdev
has the device open, and is lost once blockdev exits.
I'm not sure if the *for as long as ...* part used above is correct or not. Any hints will be highly appreciated.
It's correct but I'd prefer this:

the block size setting is specific to the file descriptor opening the block device and persists only while blockdev has the device open.