Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor deliberately write F U?
2019-12-04 13:02:35 UTC
My interlocutor asks:

Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/

I say: I don't know.

I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Dingbat
2019-12-04 13:07:09 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Reminds of Soupy Sales saying:
Every time I show F, you see K.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/
Adam Funk
2019-12-04 13:38:41 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Every time I show F, you see K.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/
That reminds me of some of the things Groucho Marx couldn't possibly
have gotten away with saying on TV in the 1950s.
--
Some people just have hatred built into them. I don’t know if there
is anything we can do for them... The right wingers of our country
---Eddie Izzard
Dingbat
2019-12-05 09:29:30 UTC
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Every time I show F, you see K.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/
That reminds me of some of the things Groucho Marx couldn't possibly
have gotten away with saying on TV in the 1950s.
I was surprised that there was obscene innuendo in "Willy Wonka and the
Chocolate Factory." I can't remember hearing "snozberries" when I
watched the movie.
https://www.foodbeast.com/news/ouch-our-childhood-roald-dahls-snozeberries-are-an-innuendo-for-dicks/
RH Draney
2019-12-05 10:38:00 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Every time I show F, you see K.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/
That reminds me of some of the things Groucho Marx couldn't possibly
have gotten away with saying on TV in the 1950s.
I was surprised that there was obscene innuendo in "Willy Wonka and the
Chocolate Factory." I can't remember hearing "snozberries" when I
watched the movie.
https://www.foodbeast.com/news/ouch-our-childhood-roald-dahls-snozeberries-are-an-innuendo-for-dicks/
And in Disney's "The Little Mermaid", Sebastian the crab advises Ariel
in song: "Darlin', it's better down where it's wetter; take it from me!"...

This is *Disney*!...r
Adam Funk
2019-12-05 11:19:01 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Dingbat
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Every time I show F, you see K.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/
That reminds me of some of the things Groucho Marx couldn't possibly
have gotten away with saying on TV in the 1950s.
I was surprised that there was obscene innuendo in "Willy Wonka and the
Chocolate Factory." I can't remember hearing "snozberries" when I
watched the movie.
https://www.foodbeast.com/news/ouch-our-childhood-roald-dahls-snozeberries-are-an-innuendo-for-dicks/
I hadn't heard of _My Uncle Oswald_ until now; that is bizarre.
--
There are some things that are not sayable. That's why
we have art. ---Leonora Carrington
CDB
2019-12-05 14:06:51 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Post by Adam Funk
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F
U in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive
such a hidden message and would a governor be likely to have
such a writer on his staff?
Reminds of Soupy Sales saying: Every time I show F, you see K.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dirty-job/
That reminds me of some of the things Groucho Marx couldn't
possibly have gotten away with saying on TV in the 1950s.
I was surprised that there was obscene innuendo in "Willy Wonka and
the Chocolate Factory." I can't remember hearing "snozberries" when
I watched the movie.
https://www.foodbeast.com/news/ouch-our-childhood-roald-dahls-snozeberries-are-an-innuendo-for-dicks/
good example of using the internet to spread foolishness. The use
complained of came years later in an "adult" novel, and there is no
reason to suppose that it was what Dahl meant in the children's book.

Anyway, the passage makes it clear that the later* meaning was
"testicles", not "'dick'". I don't know how finely tuned Charisma
Madarang's English is.

*(ie "former")

musika
2019-12-04 13:16:41 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Did Schwartzenegger as CA Governor intend the hidden message F U
in this letter?
https://www.wired.com/2009/10/schwarzenegger/
I say: I don't know.
I ask: How much skill does it take for a writer to contrive such
a hidden message
Very little
Post by Dingbat
and would a governor be likely to have such
a writer on his staff?
Several.
But it's worse than that - the message reads "FUCK YOU SA"
--
Ray
UK
occam
2019-12-05 10:37:25 UTC
Post by Dingbat
and would a governor be likely to have such
  a writer on his staff?
Several.
But it's worse than that - the message reads "FUCK YOU SA"
Hmm. I agree that it does not take too much effort to do this. However,
is the rejection letter not a sufficiently 'FU' letter, without the
hidden message?

As for the additional 'SA', this demonstrates the lengths conspiracy
theorists sink to sometimes, to prove a point. How else would Arnold S.
sign his letter, if not "Sincerely, Arnold Schwarzenegger"?
"Faithfully, Office of the Governor of SA" would surely have been a more
deliberate message, with an 'F-Off' rather than an 'SA'.

Too much ado about very little.