catholic library
2019-11-13 22:30:59 UTC
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.

Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt

What is the meaning of "catholic" here?

The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
--
...an explanatory principle - like "gravity" or "instinct" -
really explains nothing. It's a sort of conventional agreement
certain point. -- Gregory Bateson
Jerry Friedman
2019-11-13 22:50:06 UTC
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Yes, I think so. The library was Catholic but not catholic.
Eric Walker
2019-11-14 06:01:13 UTC
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the |
bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Yes, I think so. The library was Catholic but not catholic.
+1
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker
Quinn C
2019-11-14 17:18:32 UTC
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Yes, I think so. The library was Catholic but not catholic.
It was actually Episcopalian.
--
... English-speaking people have managed to get along a good many
centuries with the present supply of pronouns; ... It is so old and
and steamboats were proposed. -- Findlay (OH) Jeffersonian (1875)
Jerry Friedman
2019-11-14 17:57:32 UTC
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Yes, I think so. The library was Catholic but not catholic.
It was actually Episcopalian.
Huh. Was it Anglo-Catholic?
Horace LaBadie
2019-11-13 22:55:08 UTC
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
Kerr-Mudd,John
2019-11-14 11:15:22 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Quinn C
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
How orthodox.
2019-11-14 11:57:17 UTC
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 11:15:22 -0000 (UTC), "Kerr-Mudd,John"
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Quinn C
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
How orthodox.
Not to be confused with Orthodox.
Adam Funk
2019-11-14 12:07:58 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd,John
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Quinn C
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
How orthodox.
Not to be confused with Orthodox.
That might or might not be kosher.
--
XML is like violence: if it doesn't solve the problem,
try using more of it.
Quinn C
2019-11-14 15:45:54 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Quinn C
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
Yes, but is it ever non-jokingly used of anything other than religion?
--
I don't see people ... as having a right to be idiots. It's
just impractical to try to stop them, unless they're hurting
in L. McMaster Bujold, Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen
Horace LaBadie
2019-11-14 16:26:53 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Quinn C
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
Yes, but is it ever non-jokingly used of anything other than religion?
Less so now than in the past, but, yes.

One's tastes in literature or music can be catholic, encompassing many
genres or types.
Tony Cooper
2019-11-14 17:09:22 UTC
On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 10:45:54 -0500, Quinn C
Post by Quinn C
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Quinn C
| How anyone could have read Gertrude Stein without reading any Joyce,
| Richard said, he didn’t know [...] She had browsed all over the
| bookshelves at school, but the library assembled by the Order of St.
| Margaret had been far from catholic, she realized now, though it had
| included such unexpected writers as Gertrude Stein.
Patricia Highsmith, The Price of Salt
What is the meaning of "catholic" here?
The literal one of "all-encompassing", with a dig at religious
censorship? I'd like that.
Lower case, universal.
Upper case, the Church.
Yes, but is it ever non-jokingly used of anything other than religion?
Yes, we could say "He has catholic tastes in ...." with that meaning.
It's quite normal if the person understands that this an accepted
meaning. Not everyone would.

The most common use that I've experienced is having catholic tastes in
reading matter. A person with catholic reading taste will read books
on a wide variety of subjects. Nothing to do with religion.

It would be rare to use it jokingly, but it can be used as sort of a
pun as it is above.