cut across all the regions, etc.
Add Reply
tonbei
2021-04-29 01:38:40 UTC
I have a question about the following sentences from "Voice of America", which is talking about 1994 election during
the Clinton's Administration.

----------------
Congress also passed his budgets for nineteen ninety-three and ninety-four that reduced federal spending.

But Clinton’s relations with Congress became more difficult after the nineteen ninety-four congressional elections. The fight over health care and other issues had only led to greater dissatisfaction with Washington.
The elections were a big defeat for the Democrats in Congress.

FRANK SESNO (CNN reporter): “A rising tide lifts all boats, or so they say, and Republicans are sailing right to victory in the House of Representatives, CNN estimating that the Republicans will take more than enough seats to take control of the House of Representatives for the first time in forty years, and here’s what’s interesting: It is cutting across all regions, it is cutting across all ages, it is cutting across literally all the candidates.”
---------------

question: about "cutting across all regions, it is cutting across all ages, it is cutting across literally all the candidates"
Does this mean: Republicans are showing an edge across all regions, all ages, and its most candidates are
winning. ?
Stefan Ram
2021-04-29 01:52:46 UTC
Post by tonbei
It is cutting across all regions, it is cutting across all
ages, it is cutting across literally all the candidates.
It spans all regions, it spans all age groups, it literally
spans all candidates.

It extends across all regions, it extends across all age
groups, it literally extends across all candidates.

It encompasses all regions, it encompasses all age groups,
it literally encompasses all candidates.

It covers all regions, it covers all age groups, it
literally covers all candidates.
Horace LaBadie
2021-04-29 11:43:09 UTC
Post by tonbei
[...]
The rising tide is doing the cutting. Imagine a flood that is spreading
across the entire country, leaving only some high spots above the water.
It affects everyone everywhere.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-04-29 14:19:34 UTC
Post by tonbei
I have a question about the following sentences from "Voice of America", which is talking about 1994 election during
the Clinton's Administration.
the Clinton Administration (a NP cannot have two determiners)
Post by tonbei
----------------
Congress also passed his budgets for nineteen ninety-three and ninety-four that reduced federal spending.
Did someone actually spell out all those year-numbers?????
Post by tonbei
[...]
"its most candidates" is essentially uninterpretable.

Maybe you mean "most of its candidates."
tonbei
2021-04-29 14:51:40 UTC
Additional question.

“About: A rising tide lifts all boats"
Does this indicate voting rates much higher than before?
And the risen voting rates worked for Republicans in those elections, I understand.
Horace LaBadie
2021-04-29 15:38:22 UTC
Post by tonbei
Additional question.
“About: A rising tide lifts all boats"
Does this indicate voting rates much higher than before?
And the risen voting rates worked for Republicans in those elections, I understand.
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an economic policy of
cutting taxes for the rich, who supposedly will then use the money to
improve the economy through investment, thereby raising the standard of
living for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is a
favorite Republican fable.

Applying it to elections in which Republicans are the beneficiaries is a
way of implying that the Republican economic policy was the most
important factor in their victory. It doesn't say anything about the
total number of votes cast.
Jerry Friedman
2021-04-29 21:20:40 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by tonbei
Additional question.
“About: A rising tide lifts all boats"
Does this indicate voting rates much higher than before?
And the risen voting rates worked for Republicans in those elections, I understand.
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an economic policy of
cutting taxes for the rich, who supposedly will then use the money to
improve the economy through investment, thereby raising the standard of
living for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is a
favorite Republican fable.
Applying it to elections in which Republicans are the beneficiaries is a
way of implying that the Republican economic policy was the most
important factor in their victory. It doesn't say anything about the
total number of votes cast.
I agree with you on the original meaning, but here I took it to mean
that whatever helped the Republicans helped all of them, not just in
some regions or with some age groups. The reporter wittily used a
Republican catchphrase to say that.

"It it cutting across literally all the candidates" is hard for me to
interpret and would be even without the "literally". In all or almost
all the districts, the Democrats got a smaller share of the votes than
in the previous election?
2021-04-30 06:44:32 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an economic policy of
cutting taxes for the rich, who supposedly will then use the money to
improve the economy through investment, thereby raising the standard of
living for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is a
favorite Republican fable.
Trickle-down economics is illustrated at

ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/humour/outhouse.jpg
"This site is trying to open Pick an app."
Rich Ulrich
2021-04-30 17:12:46 UTC
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 07:16:23 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Horace LaBadie
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an economic policy of
cutting taxes for the rich, who supposedly will then use the money to
improve the economy through investment, thereby raising the standard of
living for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is a
favorite Republican fable.
Trickle-down economics is illustrated at
ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/humour/outhouse.jpg
"This site is trying to open Pick an app."
After saying something like that, Firefox tries but gets nothing.
I tried removing the "ftp" parts with no success.
Rich Ulrich
musika
2021-04-30 18:00:18 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an economic policy of
cutting taxes for the rich, who supposedly will then use the money to
improve the economy through investment, thereby raising the standard of
living for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is a
favorite Republican fable.
Trickle-down economics is illustrated at
ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/humour/outhouse.jpg
"This site is trying to open Pick an app."
After saying something like that, Firefox tries but gets nothing.
I tried removing the "ftp" parts with no success.
New FF versions have disabled ftp support. The next big update will
remove it completely. Copy the link and try opening in a different browser.
OR
follow the instructions on this page to turn it back on
<https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/16/firefox-90-wont-handle-ftp-sites-anymore/>
--
Ray
UK
Athel Cornish-Bowden
2021-04-30 18:26:08 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an economic policy of
cutting taxes for the rich, who supposedly will then use the money to
improve the economy through investment, thereby raising the standard of
living for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is a
favorite Republican fable.
Trickle-down economics is illustrated at
ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/humour/outhouse.jpg
"This site is trying to open Pick an app."
After saying something like that, Firefox tries but gets nothing.
I tried removing the "ftp" parts with no success.
New FF versions have disabled ftp support. The next big update will
remove it completely. Copy the link and try opening in a different browser.
I tried it Chrome: no luck.
Athel -- British, living in France for 34 years
musika
2021-04-30 18:52:49 UTC
Post by musika
OR
follow the instructions on this page to turn it back on
<https://www.ghacks.net/2021/04/16/firefox-90-wont-handle-ftp-sites-anymore/>
Waterfox works Brave downloads it to your computer

I have uploaded it here
<https://postimg.cc/hf3P8F70>
--
Ray
UK
Peter Moylan
2021-05-01 02:37:49 UTC
Post by musika
Post by Rich Ulrich
On Fri, 30 Apr 2021 07:16:23 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 3:44:39 AM UTC-4, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Horace LaBadie
"A rising tide lifts all boats" is a tagline for an
economic policy of cutting taxes for the rich, who
supposedly will then use the money to improve the economy
through investment, thereby raising the standard of living
for everyone. Often called "Trickle-Down Economics." It is
a favorite Republican fable.
Trickle-down economics is illustrated at
ftp://ftp.pmoylan.org/humour/outhouse.jpg
"This site is trying to open Pick an app."
After saying something like that, Firefox tries but gets
nothing. I tried removing the "ftp" parts with no success.
New FF versions have disabled ftp support. The next big update will
remove it completely. Copy the link and try opening in a different browser.
I tried it Chrome: no luck.
Interesting, and somewhat annoying. I already knew that Chrome had
broken support for password-protected ftp accounts, but anonymous ftp
was working the last time I checked. Apparently I haven't checked
recently enough.

This is a problem because all of our choir's documents (sheet music,
etc.) is kept on an ftp server. Now I'll have to point people to
specific ftp clients. Non-experts have always found web browsers are
easier to use as ftp clients.

I'm currently working on an sftp implementation. Does anyone know
whether sftp still works in browsers?
s***@my-deja.com
2021-04-30 00:32:03 UTC
Post by tonbei
I have a question about the following sentences from "Voice of America",
which is talking about 1994 election during the Clinton's Administration.
----------------
<snip>
It is cutting across all regions, it is cutting across all ages, it is cutting across
literally all the candidates.”
question: about "cutting across all regions, it is cutting across all ages, it is
cutting across literally all the candidates"
Does this mean: Republicans are showing an edge across all regions, all ages,
and its most candidates are winning. ?
My explanation is much simpler. I believe that it means that what had just been
said APPLIED TO all candidates, regions, etc.