Thanks a lot, kibitzers
2021-03-31 14:01:36 UTC
The spambot that does the illegal-drug ads must have
detected the intense activity in at least one of its threads
in this newsgroup, because this morning there are half
a dozen new threads.
Peter Moylan
2021-04-01 00:37:35 UTC
The spambot that does the illegal-drug ads must have
detected the intense activity in at least one of its threads
in this newsgroup, because this morning there are half
a dozen new threads.
And about a dozen before anyone had commented.
Not that I saw. GG must be doing something right.
Peter Moylan
2021-04-02 00:38:16 UTC
On Wednesday, March 31, 2021 at 8:37:40 PM UTC-4, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
The spambot that does the illegal-drug ads must have detected
the intense activity in at least one of its threads in this
newsgroup, because this morning there are half a dozen new
threads.
And about a dozen before anyone had commented.
Not that I saw. GG must be doing something right.
With a delay, I presume, because those posts originated in Google
Groups. Or maybe the posts are hidden from the GG users but still passed
on to other news servers.

That latter would be similar to what Facebook does. If you report abuse,
Facebook stops you from seeing posts from that user, but still lets
everyone else see them. I imagine they proceed to the next step only
after receiving a large number of abuse reports.
2021-04-02 14:10:32 UTC
The spambot that does the illegal-drug ads must have detected
the intense activity in at least one of its threads in this
newsgroup, because this morning there are half a dozen new
threads.
And about a dozen before anyone had commented.
Not that I saw. GG must be doing something right.
With a delay, I presume, because those posts originated in Google
Groups. Or maybe the posts are hidden from the GG users but still passed
on to other news servers.
"In GG," or in gmail? They are even less the same thing now than they ever were.
Post by Peter Moylan
That latter would be similar to what Facebook does. If you report abuse,
Facebook stops you from seeing posts from that user, but still lets
everyone else see them. I imagine they proceed to the next step only
after receiving a large number of abuse reports.
Mr. Bezos likes to portray himself as quite the libertarian, so who knows
what they're up to or whether they distribute offers for prescription drugs,
"money-cleaning solutions" (there must be quite a rash of bank robberies,
somewhere) or standardized test answers.
Peter Moylan
2021-04-03 00:53:46 UTC
The spambot that does the illegal-drug ads must have
detected the intense activity in at least one of its threads
in this newsgroup, because this morning there are half a
dozen new threads.
And about a dozen before anyone had commented.
Not that I saw. GG must be doing something right.
With a delay, I presume, because those posts originated in Google
Groups. Or maybe the posts are hidden from the GG users but still
passed on to other news servers.
"In GG," or in gmail? They are even less the same thing now than they ever were.
gmail is not a news server. The articles were posted using the GG web
interface, as can be seen from the article headers. The fact that many
(all?) of the posters had gmail addresses is irrelevant to this observation.

I post news articles through the eternal-september news server, and my
e-mail address is in the pmoylan.org mail domain. But no e-mail
operation was involved in posting this article, so it would be a
distortion of the truth to say that this article is coming from the
pmoylan.org domain. The ONLY relevance of the e-mail address is that it
appears in the article headers.
2021-04-03 13:40:52 UTC
[...]
The relevance is that somewhere there is a connection between gmail
and GG, such that gmail users were, and presumably still would be if
we were still seeing those drive-by responses to 20-year-old first messages
in a thread, unaware of the existence of GG.

Your complaint is with the overall structure of Google's ancillary operations
(i.e. not the search engine, the selling of advertising on which is their source
of income), not with GG.

They don't make money off of Google Books or Google Scholar, but that
hasn't stopped them from degrading both those services. Happily, no one
seems to have noticed that they continue to create serviceable exotic fonts
under the Noto brand, where again advertising does not seem to be involved
-- but they made it hard to find the main page, so when I accidentally came
upon it again, I bookmarked it, and that link still works.

Sam Plusnet
2021-04-01 19:49:17 UTC
The spambot that does the illegal-drug ads must have
detected the intense activity in at least one of its threads
in this newsgroup, because this morning there are half
a dozen new threads.
And about a dozen before anyone had commented.
Are kibitzers an unhealthy snack, or some kind of pet food?

I don't think Ocado sell those.
Wales, UK