Solve vs resolve
2018-08-09 08:51:11 UTC
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve".
Headline says "solve":

The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute –
and we may need new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
Peter Moylan
2018-08-09 09:37:14 UTC
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve". Headline says
The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute – and we may need new
physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
"Resolve" would have been a better choice, but one could argue both ways.

We solve a problem, but resolve a conflict. In this case there is a
conflict between different sets of evidence, but a reporter could choose
to ignore that aspect and simply say that there's a problem that needs
to be solved.
Paul Carmichael
2018-08-09 09:58:34 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve".
The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute –
and we may need new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
I would say resolve = settle whereas solve = fix.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/
https://asetrad.org
Madrigal Gurneyhalt
2018-08-09 10:53:08 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve".
The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute –
and we may need new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
But it's not the dispute that needs solving but the rate of expansion.
Replace 'in dispute' with 'under discussion' or just 'disputed' and it
becomes obvious that 'it' must refer to the original problem.
Jerry Friedman
2018-08-09 17:35:53 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Post by Dingbat
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve".
The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute –
and we may need new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
But it's not the dispute that needs solving but the rate of expansion.
Replace 'in dispute' with 'under discussion' or just 'disputed' and it
becomes obvious that 'it' must refer to the original problem.
"Solve the universe's rate of expansion" doesn't make a great deal
of sense, and it would be nice for "it" to refer to some previous
noun phrase.

Apparently what needs to be solved is a discrepancy between two recent
measurements of the Hubble constant.
2018-08-09 18:04:33 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve". Headline
The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute – and we may need
new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
But
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
it's not the dispute that needs solving but the rate of expansion.
Replace 'in dispute' with 'under discussion' or just 'disputed' and
it becomes obvious that 'it' must refer to the original problem.
Only if we accept the inept choice of "solve". "Resolve" is what you do
to a "dispute", and IMO the writer thought there was one of those
available for use.
"Solve the universe's rate of expansion" doesn't make a great deal of
sense, and it would be nice for "it" to refer to some previous noun
phrase.
So we provide a noun: "... the subject of a dispute we may need new
physics to resolve", frex.
Jerry Friedman
2018-08-10 20:21:12 UTC
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve". Headline
The universe’s rate of expansion is in dispute – and we may need
new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
But
Post by Madrigal Gurneyhalt
it's not the dispute that needs solving but the rate of expansion.
Replace 'in dispute' with 'under discussion' or just 'disputed' and
it becomes obvious that 'it' must refer to the original problem.
Only if we accept the inept choice of "solve". "Resolve" is what you do
to a "dispute", and IMO the writer thought there was one of those
available for use.
Well put.
Post by CDB
"Solve the universe's rate of expansion" doesn't make a great deal of
sense, and it would be nice for "it" to refer to some previous noun
phrase.
So we provide a noun: "... the subject of a dispute we may need new
physics to resolve", frex.

Actually, I'm not sure there really is a dispute. There's a
discrepancy between two measurements of the Hubble constant, but the
measurements refer to different times in the history of the
universe, so they might be consistent in some way that involves new
physics (not just dark energy, if anyone's wondering). The
article doesn't mention any kind of dispute in the sense of people
defending their measurement and criticizing the other one, and I
wonder whether the headline was written by the author of the article.
John Varela
2018-08-10 17:55:33 UTC
Post by Dingbat
Does one solve or resolve a dispute? I'd say "resolve".
The universes rate of expansion is in dispute
and we may need new physics to solve it
https://theconversation.com/the-universes-rate-of-expansion-is-in-dispute-and-we-may-need-new-physics-to-solve-it-100154
I wouldn't use either one, but any replacement for "solve" makes the
URL even wordier than it already is. The whole thing should be
rewritten.
--
John Varela