A new eggcorn?
Add Reply
Horace LaBadie
2019-11-06 15:53:08 UTC
Found in The Washington Post:

Trump¹s willingness to repeatedly mislead the public represents an
attempt to protect himself by creating doubt about the fundamental
nature of truth, said Michael Steele, former chairman of the Republican
National Committee.
³One thing we¹ve all noticed with Trump is he knows how to strategically
create confusion,² he said. ³To go on the record with a bold-faced lie,
it doesn¹t matter whether you fact-check him in real time, it doesn¹t
matter if there¹s a human cry afterwards, his calculation is that
there¹s enough confusion that you don¹t know what¹s true and what isn¹t.

<https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-makes-falsehoods-central-t
o-impeachment-defense-as-incriminating-evidence-mounts/2019/11/05/a1fbc38
2-ffd6-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html>

I've heard Michael Steele speak often over the years. When he was
Chairman of the Republican Party, he was frequently a guest on news
programs. He's not the sort to utter malapropisms. I'm guessing that
"human cry" was a mishearing of "hue and cry."
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-06 16:00:12 UTC
Trump�s willingness to repeatedly mislead the public represents an
attempt to protect himself by creating doubt about the fundamental
nature of truth, said Michael Steele, former chairman of the Republican
National Committee.
�One thing we�ve all noticed with Trump is he knows how to strategically
create confusion,� he said. �To go on the record with a bold-faced lie,
it doesn�t matter whether you fact-check him in real time, it doesn�t
matter if there�s a human cry afterwards, his calculation is that
there�s enough confusion that you don�t know what�s true and what isn�t.
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-makes-falsehoods-central-t
o-impeachment-defense-as-incriminating-evidence-mounts/2019/11/05/a1fbc38
2-ffd6-11e9-9518-1e76abc088b6_story.html>
I've heard Michael Steele speak often over the years. When he was
Chairman of the Republican Party, he was frequently a guest on news
programs. He's not the sort to utter malapropisms. I'm guessing that
"human cry" was a mishearing of "hue and cry."
Or perhaps the Post is using speech-to-text software, which is getting
to be pretty good nowadays but isn't *quite* there yet.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Quinn C
2019-11-06 18:07:41 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
³One thing we¹ve all noticed with Trump is he knows how to strategically
create confusion,² he said. ³To go on the record with a bold-faced lie,
I couldn't find your footnotes, so I'll refrain from commenting.
--
If this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered
from A to Z. From axe to... zee other axe.
-- Buffy s05e03
occam
2019-11-08 07:01:19 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
³One thing we¹ve all noticed with Trump is he knows how to strategically
create confusion,² he said. ³To go on the record with a bold-faced lie,
I couldn't find your footnotes, so I'll refrain from commenting.
Article appears to be behind the Washington Post's paywall, as are the
"No access, no comment".
Peter Moylan
2019-11-06 23:15:34 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
[...]
I would have said "bare-faced lie", but Google tells me that "bald-faced
lie" is also acceptable.

"Bold-faced lie" can also be found out there, but it's generally
considered to be an error.

That, and "human cry", seem to me to be transcription errors.
Horace LaBadie
2019-11-07 02:07:26 UTC
Trump1s willingness to repeatedly mislead the public represents an
attempt to protect himself by creating doubt about the fundamental
nature of truth, said Michael Steele, former chairman of the Republican
National Committee.
3One thing we1ve all noticed with Trump is he knows how to strategically
create confusion,2 he said. 3To go on the record with a bold-faced lie,
it doesn1t matter whether you fact-check him in real time, it doesn1t
matter if there1s a human cry afterwards, his calculation is that
there1s enough confusion that you don1t know what1s true and what isn1t.
They corrected the "human cry" to hue and cry shortly after I posted.
Peter Moylan
2019-11-07 04:09:10 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Peter Moylan
[...]
Yes, AUE has more lurkers than we sometimes realise. We provide a public
proof-reading service.
2019-11-08 10:47:15 UTC
Post by Horace LaBadie
Post by Horace LaBadie
[...]
Either they lurk here, or pehaps Monsieur LaBadie posted on the
Washington Post site? I suspect the latter.

Joseph C. Fineman
2019-11-07 22:53:03 UTC
I would have said "bare-faced lie", but Google tells me that "bald-faced
lie" is also acceptable.
I presume that a bare-faced lie is a shameless one, told by someone who
cannot even be bothered to wear a mask. But in order to tell a
bald-faced lie, I would have to shave, God forbid.
--
--- Joe Fineman ***@verizon.net

||: In trade, nations learn each other's virtues; in war, they :||
||: learn each other's vices. :||