What's an Omicron
2021-12-02 01:33:02 UTC
The word Omicron just doesn't seem right for a coronavirus strain. It
seems more suited to be a:

1 A convention for followers of anime movie shorts

2 A satellite radio network requiring a subscription

3 An over-the-counter medication for those suffering from
excessive phlegm.

4 A religious holiday for Wicca followers held midway between the
Summer and the Winter Solstices.

5 __________(Your suggestion)__________
Tony Cooper Orlando Florida
Jonathan Harston
2021-12-02 02:50:08 UTC
To my ear everybody's saying it wrong.
Oh-Micron - small oh, as in micron, micrometre, microvolt
Oh-Mega - big oh, as in megavolt, megabyte, megastar
Peter Moylan
2021-12-02 03:00:17 UTC
Post by Jonathan Harston
To my ear everybody's saying it wrong.
Oh-Micron - small oh, as in micron, micrometre, microvolt
Oh-Mega - big oh, as in megavolt, megabyte, megastar
The other day I wrote to my newspaper objecting the use of upper-case O,
as in O-mega, when reporting on the o-micron variant.
2021-12-02 20:16:50 UTC
The father, Demetrios, is of Greek Cypriot birth. He pronounced
"omicron" with both "o"s short. The other presenter commented thst the
"cr" sounded like "gr".
I don't know how authoritative that is. Cypriot Greek pronunciation
might differ from Greek Greek pronunciation(s)
So it makes me wonder where the my-kron pronounciation came from in
the micro- prefix is eg micron, microvolt, micrometre, microparsec,
microfarad, microfortnight, microcomputer, etc. I've pronounced it
my-crow/my-kron since I picked up electronics in my noughts.
Which is how all English speakers pronounce it and probably have since
the Great Vowel Shift.
2021-12-03 00:10:29 UTC
On Thu, 2 Dec 2021 14:00:17 +1100, Peter Moylan
Post by Peter Moylan
The other day I wrote to my newspaper objecting the use of
upper-case O, as in O-mega, when reporting on the o-micron
variant.
A little to my surprise, they published my letter this morning. They did
add "in my opinion" to what I wrote.
There was a short segment of the morning TV show "Good Morning
Britain" dealing with the pronunciation of "omicron". There is not a
studio audience but when one of the two presenters said that they
were going to get information from a expert in Greek there was
laughter in the studio, presumably from the studio crew. The name of
the expert was given as "Stavros Flatley".
A friend of mine was once on the sort of TV chat show where they bring
in a truckload of age pensioners to form the studio audience. When he
made a joke the audience didn't get it, but you could hear laughter from
the cameramen.
2021-12-02 03:09:08 UTC
Post by Jonathan Harston
To my ear everybody's saying it wrong.
Oh-Micron - small oh, as in micron, micrometre, microvolt
Oh-Mega - big oh, as in megavolt, megabyte, megastar
In Greek, "omicron" is accented on the first syllable (and
"omega" is accented on the second), according to

https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CE%95%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%B7%CE%BD%CE%B9%CE%BA%CF%8C_%CE%B1%CE%BB%CF%86%CE%AC%CE%B2%CE%B7%CF%84%CE%BF

Strangely enough, that's how they're pronounced in
American English. Both usually with the GOAT vowel in
the first syllable, I believe, though some some classically
inclined people use "LOT" in the first syllable of "omicron".
2021-12-02 13:41:12 UTC
Both usually with the GOAT vowel
Which one? There's a lot of vowels in "Greatest of all Time".
--
At night when the bars close down
Brandy walks through a silent town
And loves a man who's not around
Peter T. Daniels
2021-12-02 16:25:10 UTC
Both usually with the GOAT vowel
Which one? There's a lot of vowels in "Greatest of all Time".
I know you're kidding.
Oh good. People often don't.
Was that a whoosh?
Peter Moylan
2021-12-03 00:12:09 UTC
Both usually with the GOAT vowel
Which one? There's a lot of vowels in "Greatest of all Time".
Of course he meant the JOAT vowel.
2021-12-03 01:18:37 UTC
Both usually with the GOAT vowel
Which one? There's a lot of vowels in "Greatest of all Time".
Of course he meant the JOAT vowel.
Once upon a time I could do a few steps of a jota.

/dps "see below"

it bugs me when an percussionist does "castenets" without the string on
his finger
--
Rule #0: Don't be on fire.
In case of fire, exit the building before tweeting about it.
(Sighting reported by Adam F)
bert
2021-12-02 10:07:18 UTC
Post by Jonathan Harston
To my ear everybody's saying it wrong.
Oh-Micron - small oh, as in micron, micrometre, microvolt
Oh-Mega - big oh, as in megavolt, megabyte, megastar
In Greek, it's pronounced oh-mick-ron.
For the stress pattern, see another earlier reply .
Lewis
2021-12-02 13:39:12 UTC
Post by Jonathan Harston
To my ear everybody's saying it wrong.
Oh-Micron - small oh, as in micron, micrometre, microvolt
Oh-Mega - big oh, as in megavolt, megabyte, megastar
If you say oh-micron people will either not know what you are talking
about or assume your education stopped rather early.
She floats like a swan Grace on the water
Lewis
2021-12-02 02:53:33 UTC
The word Omicron just doesn't seem right for a coronavirus strain. It
1 A convention for followers of anime movie shorts
2 A satellite radio network requiring a subscription
3 An over-the-counter medication for those suffering from
excessive phlegm.
4 A religious holiday for Wicca followers held midway between the
Summer and the Winter Solstices.
5 __________(Your suggestion)__________
I've heard many people calling it "The Transformer virus (or variant)"

For those not in the know, Transformers were popular toys in the .. 80s?
90s? that change from cars into robots and back. There's been some
big budget lotso-exploding bits movies and there was a tv show that
mostly marketed the toys.

One of the movies was good, and one I liked despite it not being good.
The others are all dreck.
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.
Jerry Friedman
2021-12-02 03:13:35 UTC
The word Omicron just doesn't seem right for a coronavirus strain. It
1 A convention for followers of anime movie shorts
2 A satellite radio network requiring a subscription
3 An over-the-counter medication for those suffering from
excessive phlegm.
4 A religious holiday for Wicca followers held midway between the
Summer and the Winter Solstices.
5 __________(Your suggestion)__________
I've heard many people calling it "The Transformer virus (or variant)"
There are memes.
Post by Lewis
For those not in the know, Transformers were popular toys in the .. 80s?
90s? that change from cars into robots and back. There's been some
big budget lotso-exploding bits movies and there was a tv show that
mostly marketed the toys.

And one of them is apparently named Metatron.
2021-12-02 11:32:53 UTC
The word Omicron just doesn't seem right for a coronavirus strain. It
1 A convention for followers of anime movie shorts
2 A satellite radio network requiring a subscription
3 An over-the-counter medication for those suffering from
excessive phlegm.
4 A religious holiday for Wicca followers held midway between the
Summer and the Winter Solstices.
5 __________(Your suggestion)__________
It's a letter that wants to be an omega when it grows up. (Would work
better in Greek.)
J. J. Lodder
2021-12-02 15:11:36 UTC
The word Omicron just doesn't seem right for a coronavirus strain. It
1 A convention for followers of anime movie shorts
2 A satellite radio network requiring a subscription
3 An over-the-counter medication for those suffering from
excessive phlegm.
4 A religious holiday for Wicca followers held midway between the
Summer and the Winter Solstices.
5 __________(Your suggestion)__________
There is a tribe of very small Irishmen, the O'Microns.
Because they are so small they have always been overlooked,
and harly anyone knew they existed.

Now they are having their revenge,

2021-12-02 17:50:00 UTC
The word Omicron just doesn't seem right for a coronavirus strain. It
1 A convention for followers of anime movie shorts
2 A satellite radio network requiring a subscription
3 An over-the-counter medication for those suffering from
excessive phlegm.
4 A religious holiday for Wicca followers held midway between the
Summer and the Winter Solstices.
5 __________(Your suggestion)__________
There is a tribe of very small Irishmen, the O'Microns.
Because they are so small they have always been overlooked,
and harly anyone knew they existed.
Not even Harly Davidson?