Mementous
Add Reply
Paul Carmichael
2019-11-05 15:31:20 UTC
I remember as a child hearing people corrected for saying "momentous" when the correct
word was "mementous" (large/memorable...).

Dunno why it just came into my head. I looked it up and the word doesn't even exist
(although I did find usage).

So, did the word "mementous" once exist but has since been erased from the dictionary?

I think we should be told.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es
Richard Heathfield
2019-11-05 15:42:35 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
I remember as a child hearing people corrected for saying "momentous"
when the correct word was "mementous" (large/memorable...).
Dunno why it just came into my head. I looked it up and the word doesn't
even exist (although I did find usage).
So, did the word "mementous" once exist but has since been erased from the dictionary?
I think we should be told.
You're probably thinking of "mementos", which do something spectacular
when you drop them into Mediet Mecoke.
--
Richard Heathfield
Email: rjh at cpax dot org dot uk
Sig line 4 vacant - apply within
Peter Moylan
2019-11-05 23:17:54 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
I remember as a child hearing people corrected for saying "momentous"
when the correct word was "mementous" (large/memorable...).
Dunno why it just came into my head. I looked it up and the word
doesn't even exist (although I did find usage).
So, did the word "mementous" once exist but has since been erased from the dictionary?
I think we should be told.
That triggers something in my memory, but for now I can't bring it to
the surface. I suspect this is really about a different word pair that
sounds a little like momentous/mementous.
HVS
2019-11-06 14:34:01 UTC
Post by Paul Carmichael
I remember as a child hearing people corrected for saying
"momentous" when the correct word was "mementous"
(large/memorable...).
Dunno why it just came into my head. I looked it up and the word
doesn't even exist (although I did find usage).
So, did the word "mementous" once exist but has since been erased from the dictionary?
I think we should be told.
That triggers something in my memory, but for now I can't bring it
to the surface. I suspect this is really about a different word
pair that sounds a little like momentous/mementous.
Possibly "memento/momento"?

It's an old error -- some dictionaries include "momento" as a variant
spelling of "memento" -- but I'd still call it an error.
--
Cheers, Harvey
CanEng (30 yrs) and BrEng (36 yrs),
indiscriminately mixed
Peter Moylan
2019-11-06 14:54:20 UTC
Post by HVS
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
I remember as a child hearing people corrected for saying
"momentous" when the correct word was "mementous"
(large/memorable...).
Dunno why it just came into my head. I looked it up and the word
doesn't even exist (although I did find usage).
So, did the word "mementous" once exist but has since been erased from the dictionary?
I think we should be told.
That triggers something in my memory, but for now I can't bring it
to the surface. I suspect this is really about a different word
pair that sounds a little like momentous/mementous.
Possibly "memento/momento"?
It's an old error -- some dictionaries include "momento" as a variant
spelling of "memento" -- but I'd still call it an error.
Yes, I think that is the one I was thinking of.
Paul Carmichael
2019-11-06 15:24:30 UTC
Post by HVS
Post by Peter Moylan
Post by Paul Carmichael
I remember as a child hearing people corrected for saying
"momentous" when the correct word was "mementous"
(large/memorable...).
Dunno why it just came into my head. I looked it up and the word
doesn't even exist (although I did find usage).
So, did the word "mementous" once exist but has since been erased from the dictionary?
I think we should be told.
That triggers something in my memory, but for now I can't bring it
to the surface. I suspect this is really about a different word
pair that sounds a little like momentous/mementous.
Possibly "memento/momento"?
It's an old error -- some dictionaries include "momento" as a variant
spelling of "memento"
Including the OED

Origin: A variant or alteration of another lexical item. Etymon: memento n.
Etymology: Variant of memento n., in some cases apparently influenced by moment

= memento n. (in various senses). In recent use = memento n. 3.
--
Paul.

https://paulc.es