Here is another puzzling Grammarly issue
Add Reply
Artur Deguzman
2021-05-02 05:06:23 UTC
Puzzling for me, the non-native speaker!

"However, President Trump's attempt to reset relations with the European rivals is being met with a lukewarm response as his domestic popularity continues to decline."

Grammarly marks "Trump's" as being inconsistent. What is inconsistent about this?

It also marks "is being met" as "passive voice misuse." Okay, yes it is passive voice. So what?

Thanks for your comments,

Deguza
Peter Moylan
2021-05-02 05:24:01 UTC
Post by Artur Deguzman
Puzzling for me, the non-native speaker!
"However, President Trump's attempt to reset relations with the
European rivals is being met with a lukewarm response as his domestic
popularity continues to decline."
Grammarly marks "Trump's" as being inconsistent. What is inconsistent about this?
It also marks "is being met" as "passive voice misuse." Okay, yes it
is passive voice. So what?
These are not errors.

I have no experience with Grammarly, but as a general rule is seems that
software grammar checkers are of poor quality. This is not a problem for
native speakers, who can just ignore the sillier recommendations, but is
a disservice to non-native speakers.

Microsoft Word's grammar is good for finding two spaces after a period,
but you can ignore most of its recommendations on grammar.
2021-05-02 13:00:48 UTC
Post by Artur Deguzman
Puzzling for me, the non-native speaker!
"However, President Trump's attempt to reset relations with the
European rivals is being met with a lukewarm response as his domestic
popularity continues to decline."
Grammarly marks "Trump's" as being inconsistent. What is inconsistent about this?
It also marks "is being met" as "passive voice misuse." Okay, yes it
is passive voice. So what?
These are not errors.
I have no experience with Grammarly, but as a general rule is seems that
software grammar checkers are of poor quality. This is not a problem for
native speakers, who can just ignore the sillier recommendations, but is
a disservice to non-native speakers.
Microsoft Word's grammar is good for finding two spaces after a period,
but you can ignore most of its recommendations on grammar.
I find two spaces by using "Find." I even fix them by using "Find-Replace"
by typing two spaces in the Find box and one space in the Replace box
and choosing Replace All. And in case there had been more than two
spaces in a row, I repeat until it tells me no examples were found.

This is also a useful reminder not to space things out with the space bar,
but to use the Tab key and set tabs where they're needed.
Ken Blake
2021-05-02 16:40:31 UTC
Post by Artur Deguzman
Puzzling for me, the non-native speaker!
"However, President Trump's attempt to reset relations with the
European rivals is being met with a lukewarm response as his domestic
popularity continues to decline."
Grammarly marks "Trump's" as being inconsistent. What is inconsistent about this?
It also marks "is being met" as "passive voice misuse." Okay, yes it
is passive voice. So what?
These are not errors.
I have no experience with Grammarly, but as a general rule is seems that
software grammar checkers are of poor quality.
I'm even stronger than that; as far as I'm concerned, they're all
terrible. They can be useful to check for errors you may have missed, as
long as you know know enough grammar to ignore their frequent false
positives.
2021-05-02 19:14:57 UTC
I'm even stronger than that; as far as I'm concerned, they're all
terrible. They can be useful to check for errors you may have missed, as
long as you know know enough grammar to ignore their frequent false
positives.
Those are tools like web search engines or translation services;
one can use them to one's advantage, but this includes not taking
their word at face value, rather, one observes their behavior and
then draws one's educated conclusions.

Peter T. Daniels
2021-05-02 12:57:44 UTC
Post by Artur Deguzman
Puzzling for me, the non-native speaker!
"However, President Trump's attempt to reset relations with the European rivals is being met with a lukewarm response as his domestic popularity continues to decline."
Grammarly marks "Trump's" as being inconsistent. What is inconsistent about this?
It also marks "is being met" as "passive voice misuse." Okay, yes it is passive voice. So what?
Thanks for your comments,
It means that so-called "grammar checkers" are utterly useless. There is
absolutely nothing wrong with either of those points.

And you're reading stuff from months or maybe years ago!