any other / any others / any other + plural or singular ?
Yilaner
2011-01-28 03:17:52 UTC
I would like some more books on this subject.

a) Do you have any other that you could lend me ?
b) Do you have any others that you could lend me?
c) Do you have any other books that you could lend me?

I know (c) is correct, but I don't know whether "any other book"
is grammatically correct or not. That is, if "any other" is followed
by a countable noun, is it strictly OK to use the singular form?

As for (a) and (b), I can't tell which one is correct. I rarely hear
"any others." Please help me out. Many thanks.
Marius Hancu
2011-01-28 03:27:52 UTC
Post by Yilaner
I would like some more books on this subject.
a) Do you have any other that you could lend me ?
b) Do you have any others that you could lend me?
c) Do you have any other books that you could lend me?
I know (c) is correct, but I don't know whether "any other book"
is grammatically correct or not.
Yes, but you're thinking then about just one book, or a small number,
that could help.
Post by Yilaner
That is, if "any other" is followed
by a countable noun, is it strictly OK to use the singular form?
As for (a) and (b), I can't tell which one is correct.
Not really.

Marius Hancu
Englebert Kupatilo
2011-01-28 03:38:47 UTC
Post by Yilaner
I would like some more books on this subject.
a) Do you have any other that you could lend me ?
b) Do you have any others that you could lend me?
c) Do you have any other books that you could lend me?
I know (c) is correct, but I don't know whether "any other book"
is grammatically correct or not. That is, if "any other" is followed
by a countable noun, is it strictly OK to use the singular form?
As for (a) and (b), I can't tell which one is correct. I rarely hear
"any others." Please help me out. Many thanks.
You could theoretically say "any other book" or "any other books," so,
in general, either "any other" or "any others" would be acceptable.
But your prefatory paragraph specifies "books," plural, and in that
case only "any others" or "any other books" would be correct.
Eric Walker
2011-01-28 10:11:18 UTC
Post by Yilaner
I would like some more books on this subject.
a) Do you have any other that you could lend me?
b) Do you have any others that you could lend me?
c) Do you have any other books that you could lend me?
I know (c) is correct, but I don't know whether "any other book" is
grammatically correct or not. That is, if "any other" is followed by a
countable noun, is it strictly OK to use the singular form?
As for (a) and (b), I can't tell which one is correct. I rarely hear
"any others." Please help me out. Many thanks.
Case (a) would be idiomatic if you substitute "another" for "any other".
Though you have referred to "books", it is reasonable that the person you
are addressing might only be able to supply one more. The other cases
are satisfactory as stated.
--
Cordially,
Eric Walker