Coney Island
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-25 17:50:45 UTC
Maybe Daniels will appreciate this one:

Watching CBS Sunday morning, and they were featuring "Coney Island".

There was a reporter accompanying the "Mayor of Coney Island" around
to the different spots. They got to Nathan's.

Mayor: "And here is Nathan's, since 1916."

Reporter: (with a hot dog in his hand) "My very first Nathan's
(takes bite) Tastes like..........1916!"

(I don't think he meant to say that, but it was amusing. He may get
fired.)
Peter T. Daniels
2021-07-25 20:00:58 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Watching CBS Sunday morning, and they were featuring "Coney Island".
There was a reporter accompanying the "Mayor of Coney Island" around
to the different spots. They got to Nathan's.
Mayor: "And here is Nathan's, since 1916."
Reporter: (with a hot dog in his hand) "My very first Nathan's
(takes bite) Tastes like..........1916!"
(I don't think he meant to say that, but it was amusing. He may get
fired.)
What's the problem?

Sounds like artificially induced nostalgia.

Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good.
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-25 21:00:16 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 13:00:58 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Mack A. Damia
Watching CBS Sunday morning, and they were featuring "Coney Island".
There was a reporter accompanying the "Mayor of Coney Island" around
to the different spots. They got to Nathan's.
Mayor: "And here is Nathan's, since 1916."
Reporter: (with a hot dog in his hand) "My very first Nathan's
(takes bite) Tastes like..........1916!"
(I don't think he meant to say that, but it was amusing. He may get
fired.)
What's the problem?
Why does there have to be a problem?
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Sounds like artificially induced nostalgia.
He took a bite and said, "Taste's like.....1916". Obviously, that was
the first thing that popped into his head after what the mayor had
said. I don't know what he meant. Maybe he was just nervous and said
the wrong thing. He was a goofy type and said several other
inappropriate comments.
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good.
I know. No argument there.

Watch it yourself after a commercial. Nathan's starts about the 1:55
mark:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-coney-island-became-the-peoples-playground/
Peter T. Daniels
2021-07-26 11:54:20 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Post by Mack A. Damia
Watching CBS Sunday morning, and they were featuring "Coney Island".
There was a reporter accompanying the "Mayor of Coney Island" around
to the different spots. They got to Nathan's.
Mayor: "And here is Nathan's, since 1916."
Reporter: (with a hot dog in his hand) "My very first Nathan's
(takes bite) Tastes like..........1916!"
(I don't think he meant to say that, but it was amusing. He may get
fired.)
What's the problem?
Why does there have to be a problem?
What was your point in posting the exchange?

What is there to "appreciate"?
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good.
I know. No argument there.
Then what's your problem?
Bebercito
2021-07-26 12:46:23 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good.
I know. No argument there.
Then what's your problem?
Could'nt the remark simply suggest that the hot dog tastes
tainted, after all these years?
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-26 15:23:41 UTC
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 05:46:23 -0700 (PDT), Bebercito
Post by Bebercito
Post by Peter T. Daniels
Nathan's hot dogs are pretty good.
I know. No argument there.
Then what's your problem?
Could'nt the remark simply suggest that the hot dog tastes
tainted, after all these years?
Yes, that's what I thought. It tasted funky.
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-26 15:24:50 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Watch it yourself after a commercial. Nathan's starts about the 1:55
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-coney-island-became-the-peoples-playground/
Daniels, I am convinced that you are socially retarded and culturally
ignorant.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-07-26 16:18:12 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Watch it yourself after a commercial. Nathan's starts about the 1:55
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-coney-island-became-the-peoples-playground/
Daniels, I am convinced that you are socially retarded and culturally
ignorant.
The person you are calling "the mayor" is not Bill de Blasio, but
an old carnival barker -- a flim-flam man, as in the opening song
of *The Music Man* -- who at the beginning of the clip tells you
that he won't necessarily be truthful in what follows.

In fact in the 5 minutes leading up to the hot dog tasting -- where
the poor clueless newsguy (who has never been to Coney Island
before) is suddenly asked for an opinion about the hot dog, perhaps
not a comestible he is accustomed to consuming (note how he holds
it funny) -- quite a few false assertions are made about history..

For actual facts about the history of Coney Island, see this often-
broadcast small documentary from the "Blueprint: New York" series:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/media/shows/blueprint.page?id=3699?pg=6
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-26 16:57:11 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
[...]
Just as I said, Daniels, you are socially retarded and culturally
ignorant.

Keep digging.
Kerr-Mudd, John
2021-07-27 09:53:57 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 13:00:58 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
[]
Post by Mack A. Damia
Just as I said, Daniels, you are socially retarded and culturally
ignorant.
Keep digging.
C'mon, trolling Daniels is too easy, set your aim higher.
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Mack A. Damia
2021-07-27 15:42:12 UTC
Post by Mack A. Damia
Just as I said, Daniels, you are socially retarded and culturally
ignorant.
Keep digging.
C'mon, trolling Daniels is too easy, set your aim higher.
Did they let you out on parole? Early release?

(How 'bout dem apples?)

Kerr-Mudd, John
2021-07-27 09:52:36 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
not a comestible he is accustomed to consuming (note how he holds
it funny) -- quite a few false assertions are made about history..
ObUKE "holds it funnily", or, better, "holds it strangely"
[]
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Snidely
2021-07-27 10:53:30 UTC
On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 11:24:58 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia wrote: []
not a comestible he is accustomed to consuming (note how he holds
it funny) -- quite a few false assertions are made about history..
ObUKE "holds it funnily", or, better, "holds it strangely"
[]
That sounds funny to me.

/dps
--
"That's a good sort of hectic, innit?"

" Very much so, and I'd recommend the haggis wontons."
-njm
Peter Moylan
2021-07-27 10:23:02 UTC
Post by Snidely
On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:18:12 -0700 (PDT) "Peter T. Daniels"
On Monday, July 26, 2021 at 11:24:58 AM UTC-4, Mack A. Damia
wrote: [] not a comestible he is accustomed to consuming (note
how he holds it funny) -- quite a few false assertions are made
about history..
ObUKE "holds it funnily", or, better, "holds it strangely" []
That sounds funny to me.
Because it's part of a larger story. BrE still has adverbs as a part of
speech, but they appear to be slowly disappearing from AmE, to be
replaced by the corresponding adjective.

The disappearance is not complete, though. I doubt that you'd hear "He
did it quick" in AmE. And "hopeful" hasn't become a sentence adverb in
any version of English.
Peter T. Daniels
2021-07-27 12:56:34 UTC
Post by Peter T. Daniels
not a comestible he is accustomed to consuming (note how he holds
it funny) -- quite a few false assertions are made about history..
ObUKE "holds it funnily", or, better, "holds it strangely"
[]
--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Fortunately, I do not speak that dialect.