When do I use a hypen between the word re and installation and others?
Nocturnal
2006-05-13 19:09:53 UTC
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system or redoing or
re whatever. Is it always re-install or reinstall? Or if not, when would I
use one over the other and vice versa?
Nocturnal @ www.randomfix.com
HVS
2006-05-13 20:42:25 UTC
Post by Nocturnal
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system
or redoing or re whatever. Is it always re-install or
reinstall? Or if not, when would I use one over the other and
vice versa?
I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules, but the stylistic
ones I'd use are:

- generally, re- words aren't usually hyphenated; reinstall;
reproduce; reworking; reinstate

- I'd use a hyphen if the compound has a double "e": "re-enter"
is easier on the eye than "reenter"

- a hyphen is necessary where the meaning is different:
"recreation" and "re-creation" don't mean the same thing.

(I'll now sit back and wait for others to say I'm wrong.)
--
Cheers, Harvey

Canadian and British English, indiscriminately mixed
For e-mail, change harvey.news to harvey.van
Stephen Calder
2006-05-14 00:18:43 UTC
Post by HVS
Post by Nocturnal
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system
or redoing or re whatever. Is it always re-install or
reinstall? Or if not, when would I use one over the other and
vice versa?
I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules, but the stylistic
- generally, re- words aren't usually hyphenated; reinstall;
reproduce; reworking; reinstate
- I'd use a hyphen if the compound has a double "e": "re-enter"
is easier on the eye than "reenter"
"recreation" and "re-creation" don't mean the same thing.
(I'll now sit back and wait for others to say I'm wrong.)
No, you're right.
--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia
Mark Brader
2006-05-14 06:34:52 UTC
I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules...
Agreed.
- generally, re- words aren't usually hyphenated; reinstall;
reproduce; reworking; reinstate
Agreed.

This is particularly true if the part after the "re" is not a word
or is a rare word. "Instate" is practically never used by itself,
so "re-instate" looks peculiar.
I see no reason to treat re+e any differently than re+a or re+i.
"re-enter" is easier on the eye than "reenter"
I disagree; the hyphen seems an unnecessary hiccup. Having said
that, I concede that it is widely used.
"recreation" and "re-creation" don't mean the same thing.
It may be desirable, but many people don't find it "necessary"
I think I see "recreation" without a hyphen more often than with,
even when it means re-creation. Likewise for "resent" and "re-sent".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto |"--", Paul said, and then repeated it for emphasis.
***@vex.net | --Spider Robinson, "Lifehouse"

HVS
2006-05-14 07:58:15 UTC
Post by Mark Brader
I don't think there are hard-and-fast rules...
Agreed.
-snip agreed principle and agreed issue of choice-
Post by Mark Brader
"recreation" and "re-creation" don't mean the same thing.
It may be desirable, but many people don't find it "necessary"
I think I see "recreation" without a hyphen more often than
with, even when it means re-creation. Likewise for "resent"
and "re-sent".
I do see it as necessary, as I think consciously opting for
"recreation" when one means "re-creation" (or similar for "re-
sent" or "re-presented") is a triumph of form over function. It
sacrifices accessible clarity in favour of a dislike of hyphens,
which strikes me as erroneous rather than a neutral stylistic
choice.

Lars Eighner
2006-05-13 22:07:19 UTC
Post by Nocturnal
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system or redoing or
re whatever. Is it always re-install or reinstall? Or if not, when would
I use one over the other and vice versa?
In general "re" does take a hyphen. The exceptions are for situations
in which the omission of the hyphen would form an unintended word:
re-creation vs. recreation, re-collect vs. recollect, re-cover vs. recover,
re-form vs. reform, re-present vs. represent, etc.
--
Lars Eighner ***@larseighner.com http://www.larseighner.com/
Never believe in mirrors or newspapers. --Tom Stoppard
HVS
2006-05-13 22:08:40 UTC
In our last episode,
Post by Nocturnal
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system
or redoing or re whatever. Is it always re-install or
reinstall? Or if not, when would I use one over the other
and vice versa?
In general "re" does take a hyphen.
?? The exceptions you list below suggest you meant that
generally, "re" does *not* take a hyphen.

T.H. Entity
2006-05-14 10:10:04 UTC
Post by HVS
In our last episode,
Post by Nocturnal
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system
or redoing or re whatever. Is it always re-install or
reinstall? Or if not, when would I use one over the other
and vice versa?
In general "re" does take a hyphen.
?? The exceptions you list below suggest you meant that
generally, "re" does *not* take a hyphen.
The exceptions are for situations in which the omission of the
hyphen would form an unintended word: re-creation vs.
recreation, re-collect vs. recollect, re-cover vs. recover,
re-form vs. reform, re-present vs. represent, etc.
There is another rider I'd add, besides distinguishing between two
meanings. If the result looks horrible, such that it could be mistaken
for a being a new word pronounced differently, use a hyphen:

Not "reentry" but "re-entry"
Not "rearm" but "re-arm"
Not "reedit" but "re-edit"
Not "reuse" but "re-use"

However, I do re-alise that I am perhaps a tad re-actionary in my
general aversion to pug-ugly hyphenless prefixes that end in a vowel,
not just "re-".

THE
HVS
2006-05-14 10:48:50 UTC
On Sat, 13 May 2006 22:08:40 GMT, HVS
Post by HVS
In our last episode,
Post by Nocturnal
[...]
I included the "double e" in my first reponse - Mark Brader
disagrees with it on stylistic grounds, which is fair enough --
but I agree with you about on "re-a" and "re-u" principles.

Interestingly, I don't feel the same about "re-i"; strange.
However, I do re-alise that I am perhaps a tad re-actionary in
my general aversion to pug-ugly hyphenless prefixes that end
in a vowel, not just "re-".
I'd put that aversion, though, in a different category -- a
stylistic choice, rather than the ambiguity introduced with
"re/present", "re/creation", "re/sent", etc.

T.H. Entity
2006-05-14 12:43:18 UTC
Post by HVS
On Sat, 13 May 2006 22:08:40 GMT, HVS
Post by HVS
In our last episode,
Post by Nocturnal
[...]
I noticed when concoting those examples that, in general, the shorter
the word, the greater my objection to losing the hyphen. The only
"re-i" words I first think of are quite long -- e.g. "reinvestigate",
"reintroduce" -- or so well-established in the "re-" form that the
prefix is barely noticeable as such (e.g."reiterate").

But what if it's short? Would you really say that a printer "reinks"
any plates that are printing too faint? Or that a clumsy pastry cook
had to "reice" a cake? I wouldn't; I'd definitely hyphenate.

THE
HVS
2006-05-14 13:00:17 UTC
On Sun, 14 May 2006 10:48:50 GMT, HVS
-snip-
Post by HVS
I included the "double e" in my first reponse - Mark Brader
disagrees with it on stylistic grounds, which is fair enough
-- but I agree with you about on "re-a" and "re-u"
principles.
Interestingly, I don't feel the same about "re-i"; strange.
I noticed when concoting those examples that, in general, the
shorter the word, the greater my objection to losing the
hyphen. The only "re-i" words I first think of are quite long
-- e.g. "reinvestigate", "reintroduce" -- or so
well-established in the "re-" form that the prefix is barely
noticeable as such (e.g."reiterate").
But what if it's short? Would you really say that a printer
"reinks" any plates that are printing too faint? Or that a
clumsy pastry cook had to "reice" a cake? I wouldn't; I'd
definitely hyphenate.
Good point; so would I. I hadn't thought about the issue of word
length, but I agree that it has an impact on this.

It doesn't affect "re-e" words, though: I'd hyphenate "re-
examination" and "re-educate", for example.

T.H. Entity
2006-05-14 13:42:25 UTC
Post by HVS
[...]
I think the same goes for "co-o" -- "coopt" is Dead Wrong and although
I don't actually come out in hives if I seen "cooperate", I hyphenate
it myself.

THE
Father Ignatius
2006-05-14 14:41:20 UTC
Post by T.H. Entity
"coopt" is Dead Wrong
Even though, when he's right, he's right?
--
Nat
http://www.pclips.com/pclipslite.php?id=1367
R H Draney
2006-05-14 15:08:20 UTC
Post by T.H. Entity
I think the same goes for "co-o" -- "coopt" is Dead Wrong and although
I don't actually come out in hives if I seen "cooperate", I hyphenate
it myself.
Whatever happened to the dieresis?...time was, that word'd be spelled
"coöperate", and the one implied in the subject line would have been
"reïnstallation"....r
--
I may not know much about art, but I know
what they tell me I'm supposed to like.
HVS
2006-05-14 15:54:54 UTC
Post by R H Draney
Post by T.H. Entity
I think the same goes for "co-o" -- "coopt" is Dead Wrong and
although I don't actually come out in hives if I seen
"cooperate", I hyphenate it myself.
Whatever happened to the dieresis?...time was, that word'd be
spelled "coöperate", and the one implied in the subject line
would have been "reïnstallation"....r
Indeed it would have.

My reaction to seeing it in the wild these days, though, is that
it's so rare that it's become a conscious affectation -- like
clinging on to "connexion", or "Oxford-street".

Nick Spalding
2006-05-14 19:21:20 UTC
Post by HVS
Post by R H Draney
Post by T.H. Entity
I think the same goes for "co-o" -- "coopt" is Dead Wrong and
although I don't actually come out in hives if I seen
"cooperate", I hyphenate it myself.
Whatever happened to the dieresis?...time was, that word'd be
spelled "coöperate", and the one implied in the subject line
would have been "reïnstallation"....r
Indeed it would have.
My reaction to seeing it in the wild these days, though, is that
it's so rare that it's become a conscious affectation -- like
clinging on to "connexion", or "Oxford-street".
An affectation indulged in by the New Yorker.
Nick Spalding
HVS
2006-05-14 19:54:51 UTC
Post by Nick Spalding
Post by HVS
Post by R H Draney
Post by T.H. Entity
I think the same goes for "co-o" -- "coopt" is Dead Wrong
and although I don't actually come out in hives if I seen
"cooperate", I hyphenate it myself.
Whatever happened to the dieresis?...time was, that word'd
be spelled "coöperate", and the one implied in the subject
line would have been "reïnstallation"....r
Indeed it would have.
My reaction to seeing it in the wild these days, though, is
that it's so rare that it's become a conscious affectation --
like clinging on to "connexion", or "Oxford-street".
An affectation indulged in by the New Yorker.
Indeed it is. And the New Yorker's conscious retention of house
styles which have been abandoned elsewhere -- typeface, layout,
orthography -- is an excellent illustration of affectation.

It accounts in large part, of course, for the magazine's charm --
but just because some aspects of an erudite institution have
charm doesn't mean that those traits don't constitute
affectation.

Robert Bannister
Ah, those were the days! I remember writing those words like that.
Al in Dallas
2006-05-17 21:24:48 UTC
On Mon, 15 May 2006 08:46:28 +0800, Robert Bannister
Post by Robert Bannister
Post by R H Draney
Post by T.H. Entity
I think the same goes for "co-o" -- "coopt" is Dead Wrong and although
I don't actually come out in hives if I seen "cooperate", I hyphenate
it myself.
Whatever happened to the dieresis?...time was, that word'd be spelled
"coöperate", and the one implied in the subject line would have been
"reïnstallation"....r
Ah, those were the days! I remember writing those words like that.
You're making me feel young.
Al in St. Lou
Stephen Calder
2006-05-14 00:31:24 UTC
Post by Lars Eighner
Post by Nocturnal
Like say I am talking about reinstalling my operating system or redoing or
re whatever. Is it always re-install or reinstall? Or if not, when would
I use one over the other and vice versa?
In general "re" does take a hyphen. The exceptions are for situations
re-creation vs. recreation, re-collect vs. recollect, re-cover vs. recover,
re-form vs. reform, re-present vs. represent, etc.
I think you meant "does not take a hyphen".
--
Stephen
Lennox Head, Australia